New oil leak

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Great thanks - I have replied on that thread.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are there not thermostats that would work with an oil cooler? Since many are used inline for the engine oil supply I would doubt they drop the oil pressure too much. I know the gear oil is much thicker so the thermostat would need to be designed for the more viscous fluid. My concern is over cooling the oil in less aggressive driving in cooler weather.

Do you know the flow rate of the oil through the cooler is?

BlackICE

MR2Race said:
In prototype cars a few did have transaxle oil weeping out the vent.

Think about it this way. This gearbox has an internal oil pump that lubricates and cools the gears and bearings under pressure. Assisting in making this box one of the most efficient gearboxes ever built.

So you have more oil spraying around inside. Than a typ. gearbox without a pressure feed system. And some of this oil vapor is making its way out the vent.

On a few of the Protype Ford GTs. That was used for track development.
I relocated the vent to a higher position.

As for a trans cooler- that loop on the top of the gearbox is under constant pressure when the engine is running. And is the place to tie in a trans cooler.
DO NOT install a thermostat. As you may disrupt oil flow. But a cooler is a great idea. And the ford Racing unit is a very nice unit (if I do say so myself) it is a straightforward install. That fits nice, and will perform flawlessly.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I know the gear oil is much thicker

I don't have my manual yet, but might it be ATF fluid they're running in there and not traditional gear oil?? If so, it's not as viscous as gear oil but is stickier.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Spec. is GL5 75w-90 synthetic gear oil.

BlackICE

nota4re said:
I don't have my manual yet, but might it be ATF fluid they're running in there and not traditional gear oil?? If so, it's not as viscous as gear oil but is stickier.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks for clarifying BlackICE - that's pretty thick stuff.