New oil leak

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Vince, your right! I will try to follow directions next time!

Thanks, Jay
VPC said:
Actually Jay, since this is the thread that is included in the sticky, I was hoping all the tech related comments to the transaxle leak could be found in one place, being this thread. This is the thread that Neil originally went to to diagnose his leak. This was a great thread that you started with images, etc. Thanks. Vince

edit: I added the second thread as a "Part Two" to the sticky. Maybe DBK can "merge" the two threads?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Status

Neillda, what's the status of your leak? You've been quite quiet lately. Brooding about not coming to Detroit? Update please.

racer X

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2005
Great post. This is exactly what my problem was. I noticed the leak when I first have my oil change (1,000 miles). I now have 3,000 miles and again saw the leak. Took it to a Ford dealer, hear in Dallas, and the tech did a great job getting to the problem. The washer is now replaced with a proper sized one. I also had the trans fluid changed, the dealer noticed that the car was over filled prior to the change. I would recommend all check your levels.

Again nice pics to those who contributed. Perfectly shows problem.

Thanks

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
I'm suprised at the number of people reporting similar issues...
I'm guessing all cars are effected, it's just a matter of time until everyone experiences a similar issue (when fluid level, temp, etc, are just right).
Why hasn't Ford issued a TSB on this? :confused
Would be nice to have a Ford TSB & a 'official' replacement washer or plug available next time I take my GT in for service.

-RickM (#2032)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Yes, sorry everyone, I rather panicked when I saw my leak and created a new thread on what is obviously the same subject started by Jay. I thought my photos were quite good though ( :biggrin ). It's a bit like when you're ill, you think you're the only one in the world with the problem - that's my only excuse.

My fault... (runs for cover). Could DBK merge the two threads into one as White suggests?

fjpikul, my leak is still leaking and the whole area is looking extremely wet with oil. Roushe Engineering here in the UK (who look after all the UK GT's) say that not too much oil is being lost (it looks worse than it is, apparently), however I'd like my engine to be clean and dry - so I'm very keen to find a fix.

I'd love to come to Detroit - but I shall be driving my GT over the Millau bridge in France (as Clarkson did). So I shall raise a glass to you all and hopefully one of you will put some photos on a CD for me.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Not a dumb question. I don't know of a way to check the oil level though...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I seem to recall someone might have posted this quote from Edmunds before - not sure.

"And our particular Ford GT test car had the disconcerting habit of occasionally piddling what appeared to be transaxle oil."

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=108567/pageNumber=1#

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Transaxle leakage...

Perhaps this is the wrong place for this question but with only 180 miles on my '06 GT I've got a fine mist of something on the engine bay window, between the bay and cockpit. I've yet to clean it off but it looks like it's getting worse, you can see it while driving and looking through the mirror.

I thought it might just be the normal 'burning off' of materials used during assembly and shipping, but after reading this thread I'm beginning to wonder if it might be lubricant leakage of some sort?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hmmm!

I think if it's on the engine bay window that it's more likely to be a leak from the supercharger (given that there are some leaky ones out there). Is the engine more oily in one place than another?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Actually I only have 250 miles on my car, just over a week old (and I was out of town for 3 days) so my engine looks spotless. I've cleaned the glass once and the film is back, so if I can't get any ideas on this thread I may start a new one. There's also a film on the bonnet glass over the engine, but not as bad or as noticable.

Thanks for any insight...

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Can't even really see it on my finger when I rub it off. Can really only see it when I look back out through the window through the mirror or directly. Can't get enough of it on my finger to tell. Sure can see it on the window though and I'm sure it will build up on everything else over time. I guess no one else has had this issue? At least now one that's reading this thread!

Thanks White Petunia...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check the thread on supercharger leaks.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Neilda said:
Yes, sorry everyone, I rather panicked when I saw my leak and created a new thread on what is obviously the same subject started by Jay. I thought my photos were quite good though ( :biggrin ). It's a bit like when you're ill, you think you're the only one in the world with the problem - that's my only excuse.

My fault... (runs for cover). Could DBK merge the two threads into one as White suggests?

fjpikul, my leak is still leaking and the whole area is looking extremely wet with oil. Roushe Engineering here in the UK (who look after all the UK GT's) say that not too much oil is being lost (it looks worse than it is, apparently), however I'd like my engine to be clean and dry - so I'm very keen to find a fix.

I'd love to come to Detroit - but I shall be driving my GT over the Millau bridge in France (as Clarkson did). So I shall raise a glass to you all and hopefully one of you will put some photos on a CD for me.

Neilda,
No problem. We will create "Neilda's Journal" of photos for you!
It's the least we can do! :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That would be superb - thanks so much.... I shall raise a glass to you all from the depths of France! Neil.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
BigsGT, could be radiator fluid. I had a major radiator fluid blow out and other have had a minor leak that sounds just like you describe.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
OK I'm feeling pretty stupid here, but could it perhaps just be normal grime one would expect in the engine bay of a 550 hp vehicle? I know it isn't airtight. Maybe I'm just mezmerized at how perfect everything looks and was over reacting?

Are you guys having to clean the engine bay windows every few times you take the car out? Am I being anal?

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Not in the slightest bit anal. Many of us here keep our cars in pristine condition and enjoy them more when they're in perfect condition.

It does sound like you have a small problem of some sort and personally, I'd have it checked out by a decent mechanic before it becomes a major problem. It sounds like something is putting out a fine 'mist' of spray. You need to have a good look at all areas of your engine bay (engine off) to see if you can see moisture or staining anywhere else.

It could be, as suggested here, the radiator fluid or perhaps the supercharger unit. Get it checked out and do, please, let us know....

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
In prototype cars a few did have transaxle oil weeping out the vent.

Think about it this way. This gearbox has an internal oil pump that lubricates and cools the gears and bearings under pressure. Assisting in making this box one of the most efficient gearboxes ever built.

So you have more oil spraying around inside. Than a typ. gearbox without a pressure feed system. And some of this oil vapor is making its way out the vent.

On a few of the Protype Ford GTs. That was used for track development.
I relocated the vent to a higher position.

As for a trans cooler- that loop on the top of the gearbox is under constant pressure when the engine is running. And is the place to tie in a trans cooler.
DO NOT install a thermostat. As you may disrupt oil flow. But a cooler is a great idea. And the ford Racing unit is a very nice unit (if I do say so myself) it is a straightforward install. That fits nice, and will perform flawlessly.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for that MR2. How exactly did you relocate the vent? It sounds like a bolt a tube and the vent much higher? As there are a few leaky vents out there, are Ford likely to find a fix (other than the cooler)?

Your location suggests you might know a considerable amount about my/our GT's!!

Roush here in the UK are chasing down a cooler for me - they're on back order I think, so I'm looking forward to having that installed. The vent area in mine is very wet and horrid looking.

Thanks again for the post - reassuring.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Nelda

I placed the best answer to this problem in the-

"Products for your GT" area of this forum.

On a prototype you can do things you would not do to a customers car.
I installed a hose adapter in the trans case in place of the breather.
And fit a hose on the adapter with the original breather on the other end.
Then fasten it to the frame at a higher elevation. It was crude but effective. But I now have an idea for a more elegant solution.

Alex

Last edited: