New Member possible FGT future owner

Dwhite

Hey Guys, I just wanted to say hello and from what I have read in the past few days, there is a lot of great info here on the cars. I know a few people who own them and of course they are telling me you have to get one.

I ordered GT Joeys 1st book to really understand the idiosyncrasies of the different years and vins. I've known him for years from the LIJDC (Jag Club) and he is the ultimate FGT PR person.

I have been a car guy my entire life. It started when I was an 8 yo kid and my first trip to the NY auto show in '66. Then at 10 did any odd job to get money for a Stellar "A" frame mini bike. I really wanted a go kart, but there was not enough real room to drive it.

I will have to trade a car to get a FGT and will be really grinding on the change, but I have always loved the GT40 and almost bought a ERA 20+ years ago until they said it would be over a year to build it.

Looking forward to learning as much as possible and I'm very hands on with my cars, so also learning about self mait as it is important to me.

Now, I really need to get a ride in one and hopefully drive one soon.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Welcome and good luck with your car search. The GT is easy peasy to maintain. The hard parts are largely indestructible. Nothing of any significant concern has cropped up as the cars have aged. It still drives live a dream, a 5.4 liter, supercharged dream wrapped in a timeless shape.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto what Sinovac said. One of our members, "Jeff" has over 130Kmi on his, 'cause he drives it almost every day. He says it has only needed regular maintenance so far. One known problem area is the OEM gauges. They have a high failure rate. Check the threads about it. But there's a reasonably priced alternative--buy a complete panel of Speedhut gauges for about $1200. I have put 44Kmi on mine with no problems.

If yer gonna drive it regularly (and I'm an enthusiastic proponent of doing so), pay less and buy one with higher miles on it. Say, 20Kmi or more. That will get you down to the low $200K range. It drives like it looks, and it's a shame to just hide them in a garage.

Dwhite

Thanks guys, I drive my cars. Bought a concour 65 etype years ago to drive, people thought I was nuts. Not really looking to pay any big premium for a super low miles car, not looking to buy an odometer reading. things are a bit nutty right now with the new car coming out, but I have a # in my head and if it can happen at that # then maybe it could happen.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Dwhite- it's somewhat hard to explain about a Ford GT but once you've had one, you won't easily let it go. people look at the seats and say that looks so uncomfortable but I have to tell you, the seat, the car and you all become one unit in harmony and you won't want to get out! I'm not real tall but not short either and the windshield wipers annoy me because they are pretty wide and looking out the back window-forget about it! however a back up camera takes care of that (highly recommended) and you can always remove the wipers or put on a wiper delete kit. even with the aluminum trim rings on the seat vents, the seats are great in my opinion and steering wheel is on the smaller side and shifting is like butter! you will never be sorry to have owned one!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Hey Dave, good talking with you the other morning. When the weather "breaks", and we get some "pothole relief", I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride, and yes, you can drive it (not like you stole it!). I look forward to seeing you soon, and in a GT you can call your own!!!

Dwhite

Hey Dave, good talking with you the other morning. When the weather "breaks", and we get some "pothole relief", I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride, and yes, you can drive it (not like you stole it!). I look forward to seeing you soon, and in a GT you can call your own!!!

Thanks Roger, I appreciate the offer and for all the info you shared with me. I'll bring the Boxer for you to drive and you can drive it with abandon. :)

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
RPM, you the man!
Best,
Mark

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
welcome and good luck on the search. this is a great place to start.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Thanks guys, I drive my cars. Bought a concour 65 etype years ago to drive, people thought I was nuts. Not really looking to pay any big premium for a super low miles car, not looking to buy an odometer reading. things are a bit nutty right now with the new car coming out, but I have a # in my head and if it can happen at that # then maybe it could happen.

Put yer number out there. Maybe someone here knows someone who is looking to sell--Some of the guys here have multiple cars...
Also, I forgot to mention, if yer a DIYer like moi, these cars are very easy to work on. Take the clamshell off, and you have pretty easy access to everything on the top of the engine and drivetrain. Getting underneath is a bit more challenging, as you have to jack the car up at certain jacking points in order to get the bottom panels off, but that's not a regular necessity.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I assume you saw this? I have no affiliation or know if its still available. I know someone here has looked at it, but not the right timing for him (the potential buyer).

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/33167-2006-Ford-GT-240-000

Dwhite

Yes, I reached out and congrats to Jon the car sold. I'm sure a happy new buyer.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
That was fast, I see you were seriously looking to buy. Congratulations looks like a good price and a purchase you will not regret. The best part will be the experiences and the people you are about to meet in the forum.

Andy may be looking for a finders fee.:lol

Dwhite

That was fast, I see you were seriously looking to buy. Congratulations looks like a good price and a purchase you will not regret. The best part will be the experiences and the people you are about to meet in the forum.

Andy may be looking for a finders fee.:lol

Yeah, sorry, not to me, but to someone else a couple weeks ago. I see that person has intro'ed himself.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Yeah, sorry, not to me, but to someone else a couple weeks ago. I see that person has intro'ed himself.

I'm sure a happy new buyer. Sorry did not process that correctly. Keep looking

Dwhite

Got Joe's first book today. I'm going to read it twice and start evaluating.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Dwhite- it's somewhat hard to explain about a Ford GT but once you've had one, you won't easily let it go. people look at the seats and say that looks so uncomfortable but I have to tell you, the seat, the car and you all become one unit in harmony and you won't want to get out! I'm not real tall but not short either and the windshield wipers annoy me because they are pretty wide and looking out the back window-forget about it! however a back up camera takes care of that (highly recommended) and you can always remove the wipers or put on a wiper delete kit. even with the aluminum trim rings on the seat vents, the seats are great in my opinion and steering wheel is on the smaller side and shifting is like butter! you will never be sorry to have owned one!

Car is comfortable. I've done several 700+ mile days. My personal record is 1000 miles in a day from DFW to Scottsdale, Az.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Welcome!