New Bumper Delete Option

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The was a big discussion about this here on The 'Forum sometime back. As I recall, the GENERAL consensus was a 'delete could very well create the issues you outlined.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
The was a big discussion about this here on The 'Forum sometime back. As I recall, the GENERAL consensus was a 'delete could very well create the issues you outlined.

Thanks for the info.

John

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I'm curious about the bumper deletes. I wonder what would happen with your insurance claim if someone hits you from behind. Would your insurance company refuse the claim or something when they found out you removed the bumper? Could they use this a reason to say you increase the level of damage by removing it? I like the way it looks, but just wondering.

John

if you get hit from the rear youre not going fast enough:biggrin

just kidding John this is a very valid point and as we all know it really depends on the adjuster that will handle the claim or if you have an extra 15 hours you can read the fine print on your policy then consult a lawyer to explain to you what it means...... and even then you wont be 100% sure just my .02

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm curious about the bumper deletes. I wonder what would happen with your insurance claim if someone hits you from behind. Would your insurance company refuse the claim or something when they found out you removed the bumper? Could they use this a reason to say you increase the level of damage by removing it? I like the way it looks, but just wondering.

John

The reality is the rear bumper on the GT is not that substantial. If I recall the 2.5 MPH bumper regulations require the vehicle sustains only " X " amount of dollars damage or less after impacting an object at 2.5 MPH ..
I'm going to guess anything over 10 to 15 MPH and it's going to be like nothing is there. Look at today's cars, When was the last time you saw a bumper on a car? The Manufactures use soft urethane rear fascia panels with some foam behind them to meet the 2.5 MPH Reg. and those usually require work even after a minor bump.

I know someone had a concern about the possibility of an insurance adjuster denying a claim noting the GT was without a bumper. Based on the fact that most cars are bumperless I doubt in an Insurance adjuster would know if the GT did or didn't have a bumper ..

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
People make all kinds of mods to cars these days that one could argue made the car more prone to damage. I cant answer for the insurance company, but I highly doubt they would deny a claim AND get away with it on a GT with a bumper delete. I have seen many insurance claims on highly modded cars and 9 times out of 10 the insurance company even pays for the mods!

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
People make all kinds of mods to cars these days that one could argue made the car more prone to damage. I cant answer for the insurance company, but I highly doubt they would deny a claim AND get away with it on a GT with a bumper delete. I have seen many insurance claims on highly modded cars and 9 times out of 10 the insurance company even pays for the mods!

There are scenarios where the owner of a car that removes DOT mandated safety equipment could be held liable and the insurance company be set aside in a lawsuit. Very unlikely however, as the circumstances would have to be extraordinary, but none the less it is possible.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
if you get hit from the rear youre not going fast enough:biggrin

How True - How True !! :eek

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
How True - How True !! :eek

Somehow I think you're looking at what Soroush said from a slightly "different" angle, Fred!:lol :cheers

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My concern isn't over how well the GT bumper functions, but whether the insurance would cover the damage. The statement made by someone that many new cars don't have a bumper is mistaken. All cars have bumpers but generally have a molded body cap covering it.

I love the look, but sitting at a light and getting tagged by someone else would be a big bummer only made worse if I heard my insurance adjuster say "hey did you take the bumper off"? No claim. I use Hagerty for my exotics and they are very knowledgeable people, I think they would know. I was just curious if anyone ever made a claim with the bumper delete and was allowed or turn down.

John

To take a different look at it you could always say "hey at least your don't have to replace the bumper"!

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
My concern isn't over how well the GT bumper functions, but whether the insurance would cover the damage. The statement made by someone that many new cars don't have a bumper is mistaken. All cars have bumpers but generally have a molded body cap covering it.

I love the look, but sitting at a light and getting tagged by someone else would be a big bummer only made worse if I heard my insurance adjuster say "hey did you take the bumper off"? No claim. I use Hagerty for my exotics and they are very knowledgeable people, I think they would know. I was just curious if anyone ever made a claim with the bumper delete and was allowed or turn down.

John

To take a different look at it you could always say "hey at least your don't have to replace the bumper"!

The Statement about the " no rear bumper " was not implying that the cars do not have impact protection.

I was describing " Bumper " as a separate piece or device bolted to the car. There is typically an air gap between the " bumper" and the body of the car.

In old school terms and via the dictionary the Urethane fascia, foam assemblies found on most cars today do not really fit this definition of " Bumper " but serve they same function.

Other Than the GT can you name one car made in the past 2 to 3 years that has a classic style " Bumper " as described above ?

Point being most adjusters would not have a clue based on what they see everyday..

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
The Statement about the " no rear bumper " was not implying that the cars do not have impact protection.

I was describing " Bumper " as a separate piece or device bolted to the car. There is typically an air gap between the " bumper" and the body of the car.

In old school terms and via the dictionary the Urethane fascia, foam assemblies found on most cars today do not really fit this definition of " Bumper " but serve they same function.

Other Than the GT can you name one car made in the past 2 to 3 years that has a classic style " Bumper " as described above ?

Point being most adjusters would not have a clue based on what they see everyday..

I appreciate the point, but you haven't answered the question. Your making an assumption thats not based on factual information. I'm interested in how the insurance companies see this, not if I can get lucky with the adjuster. My preference would be never to find out.

John

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I appreciate the point, but you haven't answered the question. Your making an assumption thats not based on factual information. I'm interested in how the insurance companies see this, not if I can get lucky with the adjuster. My preference would be never to find out.

John

John,
I am not trying to start a new debate here. You are new to the forum. As noted in post # 41 this has been debated and thoroughly discussed before. If you want to continue the debate I would think it best to go pull up the old thread read it and see what was discussed. Not to many will join in on a new debate here because it's been done.
So moving on . This is a new thread about a new option that is different than the other Bumper Delete options. This one has some differences and a few advantages.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Moderator's message:-
This thread should be considered an offer to sell by an approved forum sponsor.
Let's not hijack it and discuss insurance coverages.
As Stormy advised, this topic was covered in another thread, your free to continue it.
Thanks!
Bony

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Moderator's message:-
This thread should be considered an offer to sell by an approved forum sponsor.
Let's not hijack it and discuss insurance coverages.
As Stormy advised, this topic was covered in another thread, your free to continue it.
Thanks!
Bony

Not trying to hijack, merely responding to others response to me. But I did a search and read the history, so back to the game. :wink

John

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
O.k. guys here is a little more info on the bumper plates.

1. We are only offering them in powder coat black and raw aluminum.
The black will match the rear grill as close as possible. The raw aluminum
will be sanded for paint on front and a machined finish on the non visible areas.

2. These will come with all necessary hardware for mounting.

3. Pricing will be 500.00 for black and 450.00 for raw/sanded aluminum.

We are talking orders now and the first batch will be shipping early March.
I have attached an order form that can be faxed or e-mailed to us.
You can also pm, e-mail or just place a good old fashioned phone call.

Thanks for your interest and thanks again to Brian (Stormcat) for his excellent design work.

Jake
Project321
877-584-7321

Attachments

• fgt_bumper_plates.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 62

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Looks great !!

I just finished painting the posts to match the plates. Painting the posts and hardware was very simple and really makes the complete package come together.. Paint specs and info available on request.

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 133

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Looks great...motivating me to further stimulate the economy.

Arnold...where the hell is my CA State Tax Refund you bafoon???

Oh, I get it, you double my annual registration fees on preexisting owned cars to short change me / US. :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Looks great...motivating me to further stimulate the economy.

Arnold...where the hell is my CA State Tax Refund you bafoon???

Oh, I get it, you double my annual registration fees on preexisting owned cars to short change me / US. :lol

I paid my March CA reg fees in advance and have my stickers. I hope they don't try to double the reg fees I already paid for. I consider it a done deal. They took my money and I have my sticker and reg papers a completed transaction.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I just finished painting the posts to match the plates. Painting the posts and hardware was very simple and really makes the complete package come together.. Paint specs and info available on request.

Brian, that's the look!! With the painted posts, it's nearly invisible!!! Nice job on a bumper delete option!!! :thumbsup

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
I paid my March CA reg fees in advance and have my stickers. I hope they don't try to double the reg fees I already paid for. I consider it a done deal. They took my money and I have my sticker and reg papers a completed transaction.

With 6 cars I am basically toast...Maybe I can get bailed out :lol