Never Give Up...

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
A fun photo...My ten year old managed to come back and finish sixth in a field of 20 even after being run into the tires. The kid with the green kart.:biggrin

Attachments

• Track Damage.jpg
    Track Damage.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 318

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great picture. Love to see kids involved in cool things like this!!!! Cool that Dad is proud, too.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Never give up" is right. You never know when some/most/all of your competition is gunna fall on their face.

'Karting is something I always wanted to get into and never did. 'Guess I just must not have wanted to do it that BAD.:shrug

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Never give in.

Gentlemen,

What a great photo! An uplifting image and a great way to start my day. Youth sports are of such great value because they are a microcosm of our children's lives to come. Lessons learned on any field of contest may be of greater value than those learned in the classroom. These are also moments to cherish for those young athletes parents as they are fleeting. From the age of four my son has been involved in competitive sports. In less than two years he will graduate from high school and I won't ever get to see him on the field again. :frown

Here's a quote you might enjoy from Winston Churchill as he spoke to a group of young schoolboys at Harrow School, which he attended himself.

".......this is the lesson:

Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

We stood all alone a year ago, and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed, we were finished. All this tradition of ours, our songs, our School history, this part of the history of this country, were gone and finished and liquidated.

Very different is the mood today. Britain, other nations thought, had drawn a sponge across her slate. But instead our country stood in the gap. There was no flinching and no thought of giving in; and by what seemed almost a miracle to those outside these Islands, though we ourselves never doubted it, we now find ourselves in a position where I say that we can be sure that we have only to persevere to conquer."

Chip

Attachments

• C4 Football 1.jpg
    C4 Football 1.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Football 2.jpg
    Football 2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 298

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hi Chip,

I just read your post about only having two more years to see your Son in sports. My Son just graduated from High school(Saturday). He had a 4.1 GPA. Started all 4 years offensive line, thrower in track and field. Captain on both teams, great kid. He even got recruited by a lot of smaller private schools, but decided he wants to focus on school. I think I am more concerned now about what I am going to do with my extra time now that these events are over.

I flew home from Las Vegas Rally to see a game last Fall. I know it was crazy at the time, but glad that I did it!:thumbsup

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
One more thing Chip,

I am a huge Churchill fan, so I guess in my book quoting him will make you an OK moderator!

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
One of my favorite karting photos...we were on the podium this time.:biggrin
We are going into Jr. High and High School in the fall and I don't know where the time has gone.

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC02065.jpg
    DSC02065.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 280

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... and I don't know where the time has gone.

You haven't seen anything yet in that department, sir. Wait until one of them hands you your grandchild for the first time. THEN the time that's past will really hit you.

(And for reasons not DIRECTLY related to that, you'll also discover for some strange reason your vision will be blurry for a couple minutes...:wink Been there. Done that. Twice, praise God.:thumbsup)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
You haven't seen anything yet in that department, sir. Wait until one of them hands you your grandchild for the first time. THEN the time that's past will really hit you.

(And for reasons not DIRECTLY related to that, you'll also discover for some strange reason your vision will be blurry for a couple minutes...:wink Been there. Done that. Twice, praise God.:thumbsup)

Whats that vision thing all about. I have not gotten there yet, but I also heard that it comes with a lump in the throat, but it is quite a wonderful moment. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I also heard that it comes with a lump in the throat...:thumbsup

Ya...that too. Trust me! :wink :cheers

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
You Guys are AWESOME!

There were not kidding when I signed up on this forum,

WELCOME TO THE BEST GROUP ON THE WEB!

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:cheers:cheers:cheers :biggrin

Post Script:

I am using your post today, to inspire my 9 year old son, he need's it very much.
I can't be with him all the time and I want him to suceed more than anything.
Thank's Stef

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Chip, you, RV and the others really hit home with me today with regards to sons (and daughters) growing up. :eek
My boys are now 24 and 21, and the days of high school sports are long gone. :frown
However, my younger boy is coming home from another field, the battlefield in Iraq, this weekend for his two week leave. He's been there with a whole different kind of team since October, and needless to say we are all longing to see his face and hug him tight.
Indeed sports can provide a tremendous taste of the real world for when they grow into adults. My son also played football, and his defensive coordinator was a 17 year NFL veteran linebacker, Clay Mathews. I remember my boy saying how much Coach Mathews taught him and helped him be mentally tough, and how that especially helped him during boot camp. :thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
KJRGT
I for one wish your son a safe time overseas. Thank him from me, and others, for his service.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Chip, you, RV and the others really hit home with me today with regards to sons (and daughters) growing up. :eek
My boys are now 24 and 21, and the days of high school sports are long gone. :frown
However, my younger boy is coming home from another field, the battlefield in Iraq, this weekend for his two week leave. He's been there with a whole different kind of team since October, and needless to say we are all longing to see his face and hug him tight.
Indeed sports can provide a tremendous taste of the real world for when they grow into adults. My son also played football, and his defensive coordinator was a 17 year NFL veteran linebacker, Clay Mathews. I remember my boy saying how much Coach Mathews taught him and helped him be mentally tough, and how that especially helped him during boot camp. :thumbsup

:usa:usa:usa Shake his hand for me, will you?:usa:usa:usa

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I will have to wait for my grand children to participate in sports, until then i will settle for watching my son sing & play bass guitar.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I am with my 16 yr old at the second largest junior golf tournament in the country caddying for him for 3 days. We are in Waco Texas and leave here tomorrow night and drive to Dallas for the 36 hole U.S. jr. Am. Qualifying. I am too old to carry his bag for 36 holes in 98 degree heat so I have enlisted his high school coach for that. We spend the next 2 months all over the country and mexico playing golf. We are having a ball. I was too young and too broke to do this with my older children so am catching up.
Chip, my biggest fear is 2 years from now when he graduates (national honor society) and we are empty nesters with nothing to do.:willy Well except follow him in college.:cheers

Guess the GT will get plenty of use.:banana

Here is a picture from today. He is playing Boys Championship Flight as a 16 yr old is in 12th place of 94. One day to go!!!!

Larry Boatner

Attachments

• DSCF7664.jpg
    DSCF7664.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 127

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
KJ, that brings it home..... you must be proud and anxious in equal measure. My son is too young for the current conflict and your post made me stop in my tracks to think about how I'd handle the stress. A big cheers to you and your family.... :cheers and the countless others....

DSC00589copy.jpg

Heritage Club

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2008
KJ,
Please tell your son thanks from Westlake Village. Did he ever have Andrus as a coach? As for Waco, I was in Texas (Killeen) last weekend attending my sons Rock Climbing Champioships in 100 degree heat. At least I didn't have to caddie (thank goodness).

Kids are the best experience in the world!!!!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Passionate.

Gentlemen,

These are wonderful stories and photos. Please keep them coming. This has turned into a GREAT thread.

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My son, Harry - pictured above and nearly 8 years old - was asked by some lunch guests at home if he could hit a golf ball. Before we knew it, golf clubs were out on the lawn and a ball tee'd up for him. I didn't mention that he'd been having lessons - so he hit this ball 80 yards straight into the side of our guests 5 Series. Doink! Left a nice dent. We applauded and the guests were happy that his swing was looking so good. Sort of. :lol

This is Holly - eleven years old and going on to break hearts I reckon...

L1010094.jpg