My garage before and after pics

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Another suggestion: Consider wiring network connections to each opener. I have a nifty program on my iPhone, and I can remotely operate any door on my house that way. Comes in handy for letting service workers (or anybody else) into the house if I need to while I'm away. I have cameras inside too, so I can make sure they leave the cars alone! They call me when they arrive, and I can just push a button to let them in. It is all tied into my home security system that way also. I have 9 garage doors on my house, and I really didn't want to carry that many remotes around in each car, as I don't park each car in the same spot every time. This is an elegant solution.

If you don't mind me asking, what security system are you using? I just installed HAI/Omni solution. I also put in NioGarage which allows me to open the garage doors as well.

Thanks,

Lance

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
IMG_3194.jpgIMG_3195.jpg

I just had my garage doors fitted with new garage door openers so the tracks went up to the ceiling. I have 9'10" ceilings and have no problem with the lift. Now I just need to do a little repainting.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Re networking doors. Very cool. Where can I learn how to do this?

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I had the local garage door installers install mine. You just need to find someone that caries the Lift Master garage door openers.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Actually, you can use any brand of opener. It is just a switch (on-off/open-close). You also need the app of course. My app and my security system are both Crestron, I believe. My openers are a mix of Linear and Liftmaster. I will check with my home electronics guy (who is also one of best friends) and see if I have this correct.

Update:

Ok, I checked with my guy. Any opener will work, as long as it uses a basic contact closure (one electrical pulse to open, another pulse to close). Also, you need some sort of processor; mine is a Crestron processor. And then the app, if you want to use your smartphone.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Re networking doors. Very cool. Where can I learn how to do this?

My garage door people were pretty clueless about the network connection. The company that did all of my other home electronic goodies took care of everything after the installation, except for the pre-wiring to each door opener location.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Cabinets

They shorted me a wall cabinet, but you get the idea. It's coming along. NewAge cabinets $500 off through 8/4 at COSTCO. This is the 18 gauge stuff. Diamond plate. Really nice rock maple work bench.

IMAG0185.jpg

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
This was my previous garage - moved away from there about 1 year ago and am building the new one now...

49553-GAR01.jpg49553-GAR02.jpgIMG-20101105-00006.jpgIMG-20101105-00007.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sweet! So that's where all the diamond plate went. :)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
That's another amazing garage! We should start another (separate) garage thread, so we don't continue to hijack his thread. I love to see all of these amazing spaces.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
That's another amazing garage! We should start another (separate) garage thread, so we don't continue to hijack his thread. I love to see all of these amazing spaces.

+1

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
My garage was lit up with 11 T5 fixtures each using 4 or 6 (54 watt) T5 bulbs. I had a good 250,000 lumens of light in there too...enough to give me a tan after an hour of exposure in there. :)

My new garage is going to be done very differently, but I already installed 13 high intensity LED panels - each good for 20,000 lumens. It will also have black porcelain ceramic floors. Will be slippery as hell, but will look good! LOL

Sorry for the hijack...won't happen again.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
No worries about hijacking. It's all on topic! ;)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
My garage was lit up with 11 T5 fixtures each using 4 or 6 (54 watt) T5 bulbs. I had a good 250,000 lumens of light in there too...enough to give me a tan after an hour of exposure inthere. :)

My new garage is going to be done very differently, but I already installed 13 high intensity LED panels - each good for 20,000 lumens. It will also have black porcelain ceramic floors. Will be slippery as hell, but will look good! LOL

Sorry for the hijack...won't happen again.

I bet that will look amazing, when it is clean. Are you worried about keeping it clean? One of my garages is done in cut and stained/ polished concrete, a dark reddish-brown color, with polished epoxy topcoat, and I am always damp-mopping it to keep it looking show-ready. Wish I had gone with a lighter color. It looks good with all of my t5s on (I have 13 panels of six bulbs each, too), but the dust really shows up when I go in there with the lights off.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
No, not really. I have an HVAC system in there with good filtration. My last garage also had its own HVAC and dust was really a non-issue. Because of the way it will be finished, I don't believe dust will be much worse than in the house itself. The only thing left I'll have to do once done, is to change the rubber on the garage doors and makes sure it's all properly sealed. But, that all being said, I can see how it would have to be mopped and vacuumed often. Right now, I pretty much use a leaf blower to clean it.

You must have a lot of square footage in there to have 13 6-banger T5 fixtures! That's a hell of a lot of light in a garage!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Radiant floor heat really helps with dust

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Really? That's a thought for me...I am about to do the ceramics so timing would be perfect! Thanks for the tip!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Radiant heat was BEST things we did in the building we did a couple years ago. Only downside, is cant easily bolt down lifts after the fact.

On the dust, you are not blowing any air around. The slab brings the heat to the space.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
No, not really. I have an HVAC system in there with good filtration. My last garage also had its own HVAC and dust was really a non-issue. Because of the way it will be finished, I don't believe dust will be much worse than in the house itself. The only thing left I'll have to do once done, is to change the rubber on the garage doors and makes sure it's all properly sealed. But, that all being said, I can see how it would have to be mopped and vacuumed often. Right now, I pretty much use a leaf blower to clean it.

You must have a lot of square footage in there to have 13 6-banger T5 fixtures! That's a hell of a lot of light in a garage!

That particular garage is about 2800 sq. ft, and you would think that would be plenty of light, but with the darker colors we used on the floor and the walls, I sure wouldn't want any less light in there. Of course, I like things lit up like an operating room. I have radiant heat in all 3 garages in the house, plus HVAC for the two other garages, but not in the garage with the dark floor that I have been talking about. We live just outside of town, and there is usually some farming going on nearby, so I suppose when I open the doors up, we get more dust than you probably have to deal with. Plus there is an open three-level spiral staircase that leads down to that area, so maybe we get some dust from the two levels above it.

Would love to see some pics of your new garage as it develops!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
2800 SQ FT...now that's a nice size garage and I understand now why 13 fixtures aren't enough. You'd need at least 3 -4 times that in the T5's if not more, to get operating room lumens...and those fixtures disperse more light to the ground the higher up they're placed...like a minimum of 12' of height to get good, uniform light to the ground. 6 bulbs / fixture does eat quite a bit of power however.

This is what I'm using now in my new garage (in white) - all LED. $$ but well worth it. My buddy is a partner in this outfit and I get all the neatest stuff from him before they come to market.

http://www.lsi-industries.com/products/LSI-LED-soffit-light-XSL2.aspx

crsovr_xsl2_soff-lg.jpg

Mine are not listed for some reason, but the unit is identical, except there are 100 LED's / panel and I'm putting down 20k lumens / panel. I used 13 panels IIRC for 1110 SQ ft . You actually cannot look directly at the light; they're that bright! I flush mounted mine - they come with the 5" extended frame kits but can be flush mounted if desired. The panels are 120 watts each, as opposed to 320 in a 6-bulb T5 configuration, but the LEDS generate more ambient light with an overall better dispersion, and no heat. They're sealed units - so no dust gets in to them either.

In my new garage, I'm using 6061 T6 x .187 mill finish aluminum which were laser cut into 6' x 24" tiles, to be placed in a staggered brick style over all the walls, with grouting. I think the pallets came in at 4400 LB's of weight in total.

Once the garage is done, I will definitely post pictures!