My Door Fell Off Today!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
AMER SPD said:
This aluminum trim is originally attached with clips along with the adhesion tape. After this concern was reported to Ford, they implemented the revised installation process which started around 7/27/05. It’s great to know that Ford keeps improving the product.

I am not sure, but don't think the clips that are referred in the TSB are on the trim ring (unless on later models) - I think they are referring to the panels under the trim ring. Mine did not have any clips, just the tape like pictured in the TSB image that Centerpunch linked.

DBS

Permanent Vacation
May 10, 2006
Is the whole door panel plastic?

Or is it covered in leather like the dashboard?

DALLAS

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2006
About The Door Panel

I want to thank everyone that replied with good advice...the truth: if someone had told me there was "double back tape" holding the trim ring on the door AND it was going to "fall off" with the first hot weather.....I STILL WOULD HAV BOUGHT THE GT...this has in no way caused any love loss between me and the GT....

DALLAS

PS...DEAR DBS....I suggest YOU purchase a FORD GT...then u will hav the answers to ALL your questions..

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The official fix is 3m or equivilent double side sticky tape, just cut stripes place around the door or metal incase you ever have to pull the door apart :biggrin . enjoym , your car will gain 1 tenth of speed with both removed. :biggrin

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Well, it happend to me too. Within the 1st 2 weeks. I took it to my dealer and they ordered a new one for me and let me keep the one that fell off. I made it into a very cool picture frame with all of my toys in it (GT,Boat,Motorcycle,Snowmobile,stockcar) The caption says "Little Boys Toys" It is hanging in my new sons bedroom. He is 5 months. But, when I received the car back you get the invoice where the balance was obviously 0 but the price on that little part was $748. :ack

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Aluminium... :lol
And Iran are just preparing a newclear powerplant and not nuke weapons.. ehh :rolleyes

AZGT said:
He / we are talking about the large brushed aluminum (?) trim ring on the door

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
one of 101 said:
Aluminium... :lol
And Iran are just preparing a newclear powerplant and not nuke weapons.. ehh :rolleyes

Are you saying it is something else? :confused

Or just speaking European :biggrin

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
A contact I have in Dearborn told me that all of the interior that looks like leather, is leather. The seats, dash and door trim. I have been caring for this material with leather products and it is working perfect.

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
DBS said:
Does such a cheap method of production not make you worry where else Ford have cut corners?

Don't get your panties up in a bunch. This is a minor issue. All cars have issues. Even the NSX, the best sports car ever built had issues in the first 2 years of production that were a lot more serious than trim panels. Some things only rear their heads once actual production vehicles have been out on the road for a while in different conditions. The manufacturer's willingness and ability to address those issues is more important. There isn't a vehicle ever made that hasn't had at least several TSBs issued.

At least the roof panels aren't flying off like the Vette's. :)

sunwestlyons

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Brushed Aluminum door panels

Are Carbon Fiber panels available?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ford should adopt a more germanic approach to build quality.

Hmmm...Road & Track, November 2007 issue, page 142 (paraphrasing):

Some early Boxsters had problems with "case porosity" with oil seeping through the engine casings. A significant number of cars had a "cylinder liner failure" which necessitated the replacement of the engine. It's rumored that 50% of the 1999 Boxsters had this failure.

Is this "Germanic approach to quality" you are referencing?

Why is it that some people bash American cars for their shortcomings when these same people give foreign manufacturers a free pass? Bias maybe. I don't know, you be the judge.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The official fix is 3m or equivilent double side sticky tape, just cut stripes place around the door or metal incase you ever have to pull the door apart :biggrin . enjoym , your car will gain 1 tenth of speed with both removed. :biggrin

THIS HAS TO BE A POSER. GT JOEY ALWAYS USES ALL CAPS. WHO IS USING HIS SCREEN NAME :willy:willy

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
carbon door trim rings / repair of aluminum rings

Are Carbon Fiber panels available?

I offer a carbon door trim ring set. They are complete replacement parts, not just caps or replacement of the rings themselves.
Carbontunnel.jpg

EwingDoor.jpg

Other images of carbon parts at;
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/kipewing/

Please pm me for details.

If you want to repair the aluminum ones, I recommend Evercoat Maxim 885 adhesive. Be sure to use the adhesion promotor matched to the adhesive.
The substrait for the door trim rings is polypropelene. Very few adhesives will stick to the material. In the development of my carbon parts, I did a number of coupon tests to determine the best adhesive and found that the Evercoat product is quite good. Be certain to remove all of the PSA tape from the aluminum part, prior to applying the adhesive.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Don't get your panties up in a bunch. This is a minor issue. All cars have issues. Even the NSX, the best sports car ever built had issues in the first 2 years of production that were a lot more serious than trim panels. Some things only rear their heads once actual production vehicles have been out on the road for a while in different conditions. The manufacturer's willingness and ability to address those issues is more important. There isn't a vehicle ever made that hasn't had at least several TSBs issued.

At least the roof panels aren't flying off like the Vette's. :)

When one considers that the FGT went from 'drawing board to driveway' in only 16 months (18, whatever it was) it's just astonishing that these cars are as problem free as they are. Ya - there's the 'bolt thing. But THAT'S going to go bye-bye completely here in a short-short. And that wasn't a " design pblm" created by Ford in the 1st place. (I know, I know, "the buck stops here" and all that, but still...)

When the FGT is compared to the entire "exotic" market as a whole, the FGT is hands down the most trouble free car of the bunch - and "the other guys" have had a whole lot longer than 16-18 months to get it right.

'Just my $.02. And worth every cent.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
mine had tabs....no tape.....and they even needed a little "talking to" to get off when I put Kips CF rings on.

London Lad

Aug 27, 2007
Monte-Carlo Monaco
Let me get this straight! The rectangular aluminium trin on the door is only stuck on with double sided tape? on a £150K car!

Is this trim plastic or aluminium?

That means it will fall off every car as soon as the tape dries and loses its stickyness. Have any of you experienced such a cheap similarity with any other sports/super cars?

Would you expect this on a Ferrari, Aston, Lambo for similar money?

You may not expect it but you would be shocked how much sika-flex tape there is in an Aston

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
Even the NSX, the best sports car ever built had issues in the first 2 years of production that were a lot... :)

Is this a joke?

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
same thing happen to me 2 years ago...... It makes great picture frame.. My dealer let me keep the one that fell off and replaced it with a new one... that part is $600 bucks.... was free for me obviously but the repair order had the price on it..

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I put Kip's CF door rings on this weekend. I love the look. After owning a Ferrari F430 for a month, this is the way the GT should have come. I now have the 4 piece CF aero kit, the non-Mac CF engine cover pocket panel, And, Kip's CF door rings. Just waiting for Kip's CF gage panel and I will be done. I like the OEM mag. tunnel. IMO it looks like a structural element in the car. Not as far along as Bony, but I'm getting there.

Kip, your CF pieces look fantastic. Thanks for contributing to our community.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I would hate to part with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Even the NSX, the best sports car ever built had issues in the first 2 years of production that were a lot... :)

Is this a joke?

I don't think so. The NSX with a well setup chassis (Not to mention the killer NSX-R) was about the best thing out in the early 90's. There was a circlip/retainer problem on the transmission. This affected the early models. My 2000 NSX-T is not as nimble as the earlier cars due to the targa top which decreased chassis stiffness somewhat. The NSX (dual VTEC) engine runs like a swiss watch (for those of you old enough to remember what that really means!). The 8,000+ RPM redline and an excellent gearbox makes it a joy to drive, however, this was back in the days when a 3 liter engine was acceptable in a sports car. Also, the engine will easily do 250,000 miles before a rebuild is needed. Last time I took mine in for a smog test, it registered zero output on HC and Nox tests. The technician says that he only sees a car do that about once a year. I think in the year 1996, it was rated the most reliable car on the road (J.D. Powers???).

In closing, I would hate to part with mine.

Jay
GTsaver