Mulally on CNBC Kramer now

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I EXCEPT YOUR APOLOGY!:biggrin, Gino you owe me 1 dollar, but I owe you 50 cents from the parking meter in from of the plaza.:thumbsup
But not to beat this to death...as was stated in the interview with Mullaly in the begining everyone told him things were great, then when they opened up the real issues came to the top.Its a good thing, they need the cream to rise again......theres a huge opportunity here for ford to slam the door on gm/chrysler, with the health care looming and its costs to the big three, every positve and every cancer gone will only strengthen ford. Just dont tell my wife the doors really didnt open...they did....its not the only issue its a culture issue. Fords the best out of all 3 but if there prices keep going up , there service and SERVICE AREAS should do and be the same.....now let gino chime in so we are done with this post......
gtjoey1314 :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Common issue according to many owners.

See below:

If it's anything like the way you operate on Ford GT Forum, you'll have to throw out 9,000 of those hits from you calling people to bump it.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
He's over 50 I couldnt call him he's still sleeping.....:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol gtjoey1314

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
Keith, as someone who works at a dealer, have you ever heard of that platform doing that?

The only strange thing like that I have ever heard about was a power sliding door on a Mercury Monterey opened while the vehicle was in motion.

If Joey is not holding his remote down when this happens, then i would suspect there is something around him that is on the same frequency as his remotes causing the Global Open feature to work. IIrc I think you can disable the Global Open function but I have never done it.

We have not had any issues like that on that platform.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So, while it MAY exist, as someone that works at a dealership 8 hours a day 5 days a week, you would say it's not a common complaint? Ah, ok :biggrin

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
So, while it MAY exist, as someone that works at a dealership 8 hours a day 5 days a week, you would say it's not a common complaint? Ah, ok :biggrin

Absolutely not a common complaint.!!!!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Just remember that mullaly interview...all the boxes were green.....all the time........then they became red......dont fall in the trap.....the germans and japs are coming and this time they arent firing one single bullet...and there gonna win too.........HOPEFULLY MY EXPLORER IS BETTER...okay guys..........
gtjoey1314

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Regrettably I actually didn't watch it, so I don't know what that means!

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
I hope your is great, just take the time to learn how to use My Ford Touch before it sends you in to a tail spin.:lol

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well,since our last talk the car is going to be returned EARLY , today or monday.........after we had been towed because of defaulted keys? We got the mkx back with 2 new keys and guess what in the morning the windows and moon roof were open again! THIS TIME WE HAVE PICTURES TO BACK IT UP.......Also after running to the hardware store with bo.....the drivers door handle broke......so now we have to open the pass door reach over to open the drivers door.......The explorer is coming but JUST IN CASE we are looking at options...my wife wont drive this car at 618 dollars a month and 3 grand down paper weight.....
Now the new Explorer is 48 grand , the audi and benz are the same.......lets see what she is comfotable in...hopefully it leans our way/ford way......hope, youve got to keep hope alive.......gtjoey1314

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Joey,

As you know, if you cut me I bleed FORD BLUE! Fords all over the garage...two mustangs, F-150, GT.:thumbsup However ,after my wife ran the table over the last 17 years with 4 Explorers and 4 Expeditions she went in another direction.:confused You see when the lease was up on the last of the 8 FORD SUV's we went out to Lucas FORD to see what was available. :winkHowie was so accommodating. He let her drive every Lincoln & Ford crossover, SUV, and whatever! :thumbsupShe just couldn't warm up to anything for the price tag on them.:thumbsdow So,,,,the turn took place at the local Audi dealer.:confused My son was looking for a used A-4. Well, he found one but told me we had a problem with Mom. "And what's the problem"? His response was, "Mom drove the Q-7, it's all over" I asked "what's a Q-7"? He said it's the sickest SUV/crossover on the planet". :banana Ended up buying a second Audi. And I have to say... I forgot how frikin nice a German car is!:thumbsup My last one was a new 1987 911. Drove the crap out of it at every PCA event I could get to and the damn thing just ran better every mile I put on it. NOTHING broke. I mean NOTHING! :thumbsup Like Joey, I hope FORD puts GM and Chrysler in the grave where they belong (for making such crap over the years excluding the Vette) but it's really hard to stay loyal to such vanilla products at caviar prices. :frownCEO (AM) better remember we still have 9.6% unemployment and many folks are scared to death right now about spending large chunks of money without serious value.:frown I for one am mad at myself for breaking my "brand loyalty" but I have to watch every dollar I spend right now and make sure what I spend will give me a good ROI. Can anyone really tell me that an Expedition will hold it's resale valua like the Q-7? Do the research, I think not! :thumbsdow

JL

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well, not to pile on but we REFUSED the EXPLORER from howie, he was a good sport about it too.....My wife as I were confused with the dash and could not get it to do basic functions.......She needs transportation, not calculis lessons to turn on a radio......
FORD is going to have a huge problem with the ALL TOUCH SCREEN EVERYTHING. We swurved off the road 3 times in 4 minutes..
Ummmm the Honda pilot will be here after the storm.......3 grand down,385 a month 3 yr/36,000.The explorer was 2,850 after the loyalty stuff and 600 plus per month....:eek Hey I can buy anything...but the rest of the country is another story.....
Yes,I asked if they had a less complicated version, even if I went plain jane the dash is the same....
GTJOEY1314 Dissappointed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well, not to pile on but we REFUSED the EXPLORER from howie, he was a good sport about it too.....My wife as I were confused with the dash and could not get it to do basic functions.......She needs transportation, not calculis lessons to turn on a radio......
FORD is going to have a huge problem with the ALL TOUCH SCREEN EVERYTHING. We swurved off the road 3 times in 4 minutes..
Ummmm the Honda pilot will be here after the storm.......3 grand down,385 a month 3 yr/36,000.The explorer was 2,850 after the loyalty stuff and 600 plus per month....:eek Hey I can buy anything...but the rest of the country is another story.....
Yes,I asked if they had a less complicated version, even if I went plain jane the dash is the same....
GTJOEY1314 Dissappointed

I've taken the liberty of helpfully labeling everything for you. Went outside and took a quick snapshot of the A/C and stereo controls. I can't recall any of the symbols ever being different on any car. Ever. But I digress, and we're here to help. All you have to do is touch any of the buttons shown and it will activate the function denoted by the traditional symbol. I wish this is what they taught in Calc, and maybe I would have finally gotten an A in a math class in college!

help.jpg

I will also gladly break down the functions of the "Start" button and the two pedals located beneath the driver's side dash if asked!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Im just not as smart my friend.....Im just not as smart.........GTJOEY1314

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's not that you're not as smart, you just tell people the sky is falling! I have one! It has all the regular buttons any other car has, and they are easily labeled! The tech system has physical redundancies for a reason.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You forgot to label the AUTO button. That must be used to recline the seats or pop the trunk, right?

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Enough with you two guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey, get back to work. This is a waste of your time.
Clearly Dave's "Brand Loyalty" is at a level way beyond ours.

Dave, do you have some relative or close personal friend with ties to FORD? Your way too passionate about this.Didn't youre wife just give birth to a new child? Get to being a father and forget about this crap....

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I drove a new Explorer Limited last weekend. VERY nice vehicle. I was concerned about the tech gadgets as well, but I think if you spend an hour going through them, it would not be a problem.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Enough with you two guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey, get back to work. This is a waste of your time.
Clearly Dave's "Brand Loyalty" is at a level way beyond ours.

Dave, do you have some relative or close personal friend with ties to FORD? Your way too passionate about this.Didn't youre wife just give birth to a new child? Get to being a father and forget about this crap....

That's one way to look at it. Yet another way to look at it is Joey's commitment to over-the-top bullshitting is at a level way beyond ours. The picture speaks for itself! If those controls are causing you to fly off the road 3 times in 4 minutes, the vehicle is not the problem! I'm passionate about factual accuracy!

I've got relatives AND many close personal friends at Ford. I have a renter that lives in a property I own that designed the entire interior of the new Explorer. If I say so myself, he did a fine job! And I know it's a death machine that costs too much and will kill you, but it was just chosen as 2011 North American Truck of The Year.

[video=youtube;fUN_coUXJoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUN_coUXJoQ[/video]

James R. Healey, USA TODAY
ROMEO, Mich. — Ford Motor has taken the Taurus sedan chassis and V-6 engine and turned it into the basis for a brilliant combination of on-road graciousness and off-road grit, called Explorer.

That's the impression from a day driving the 2011 Explorer at Ford's test track here — pavement, off-road, sand — and on roads nearby. And time at home in Virginia, in the snow, commuting and running errands.

No longer a truck-based SUV as Explorer was for 20 years, the new iteration is a largish crossover SUV of the sort that's drawing buyers today. Sized between the new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the General Motors full-size crossover trio — GMC Acadia/Chevrolet Traverse/Buick Enclave — Explorer is big enough inside for a credible third row of seats, as in the GMers, but without quite the exterior bulk of the GM vehicles. Nor does it have as much cargo space inside as the GM crossovers.

Explorer is significantly bigger than Ford's two-row, five-passenger Edge crossover, and carries some 600 pounds more cargo and passengers, so it shouldn't pirate Edge sales.

In fact, the crossover Explorer will tote up to 103 pounds more than the former truck-based Explorer, now discontinued, though the new one tows about 2,100 pounds less.

The only things that stood out as issues or errors on the new vehicle were the dreadful, pock-marked grille styling carried over from the Taurus, and the way Ford loves to force-feed you more electronic gadgetry than you need or probably want. Even so, it might wind up being pick o' the litter.

Outstanding:

•Drivetrain. The V-6 engine is used in Taurus and a number of other Ford Motor vehicles, but felt much more responsive in Explorer. Pleasing song, smooth personality, snappy-shifting six-speed automatic with manual-shift mode. Quite agreeable whether jumping up to highway speed, cruising or burbling through villages.

•Interior. The first and second rows were roomy, comfy. And the second row moved out of the way easily for access to the way-back.

Explorer is the first to use Ford's adjustable head restraints (aka headrests). You can adjust them not only up/down, but also fore/aft, which is a huge improvement in comfort.

Many auto head restraints today feel lousy because they jam the back of your head. Federal safety regs require them to sit quite close, or to be rigged with an "active" system that tilts them forward if the vehicle's hit from behind.

Ford's new solution is marvelous.

Explorer also offers optional inflatable second-row safety belts. The tube that inflates around the belts in a crash helps spread out the force.

•Steering. As badly as some steering systems seem to be executed nowadays, it's worth calling attention to a setup that feels right. Ford uses electric power assist, which saves fuel by not putting as much drag on the engine. Felt just-so in Explorer.

•Terrain Management System. We expected a dumbed-down, dorkish replacement for a real off-road system — the kind with a two-speed transfer case with four-wheel high and four-wheel low modes as you find in true boonies-mobiles.

To our surprise, it seemed intelligently designed, easy to understand, quick and handy to use. And it doesn't add several hundred pounds of weight, as a two-speed transfer case does.

It's controlled by a fat knob on the center console. You rotate the knob among four settings to tailor the engine, transmission, traction control and anti-lock brakes to suit the situation. The four settings are normal (for regular driving), mud/ruts, sand (sort of mud/ruts on steroids) and snow.

The Land Rover off-roaders have similar, if more sophisticated, terrain management setups. Ford used to own Land Rover, so similarity is no surprise.

An EcoBoost four-cylinder will be available later in front-drive versions. EcoBoost is Ford's name for a combination of turbocharging and gasoline direct injection (GDI). The idea is to use a small-displacement engine for fuel economy but have additional power at the ready via turbocharging.

GDI technology boosts both mileage and power by injecting the gas directly into the cylinder at the instant it's needed. Also, fuel stays cooler in a GDI system, so burns better and produces more energy.

GDI can be a tad noisy, though the Ford GDI engines we've tested haven't had that problem.

You'll see the Explorer marketed as an SUV, not a crossover. Ford found that people liked the SUV/Explorer connection and assumed that such a vehicle would be more capable, more confidence-inspiring than something called a crossover.

By any name or description, the new Explorer easily deserves to be at or near the top of an SUV (or crossover) shopping list.

ABOUT THE 2011 FORD EXPLORER

•What? Full remake of the popular SUV. It's now a crossover, atop a modified version of the Ford Taurus chassis. It's a full-size, six- or seven-passenger, crossover SUV available with front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD). It offers a V-6 engine and, later, an EcoBoost four-cylinder on FWD models.

•When? On sale this month.

•Where? Made in Chicago, using V-6 engine built at Lima, Ohio. Four-cylinder to be built at Valencia, Spain.

•Why? Still a market for the right kind of big SUV.

•How much? Base, $28,995 including $805 shipping. XLT, $31,995. Limited, $37,995. AWD, add $2,000.

•Who'll buy? Moms, dads, adventuresome couples.

•Instead of what?Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, Chevrolet Traverse/GMC Acadia, Honda Pilot, Hyundai Veracruz, Ford hopes.

•How powerful? 3.5-liter V-6 rated 290 horsepower at 6,500 rpm, 255 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000. Later option on FWD models: 2-liter, turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder rated 237 hp at 5,500 rpm, 250 lbs.-ft. at 1,750. All models use six-speed automatic transmission.

•How big? About 13 inches longer, 3 inches wider and 400 lbs. heavier than Ford Edge; 8 inches shorter, 2 inches narrower, 200 lbs. lighter than Chevy Traverse. Explorer is 197.1 inches long, 90.2 in. wide including mirrors, 70.4 (FWD) or 71 (AWD) in. tall on a 112.6-in. wheelbase.

Weighs 4,509 (FWD) or 4,695 (AWD) lbs.

Passenger space, 151.7 cubic feet. Cargo space, 21 cu. ft. behind the third row, 43.8 cu. ft. behind second row with third row folded, 80.7 cu. ft. behind front seat with second and third rows folded.

Tows 5,000 (V-6) or 2,000 (four-cylinder) lbs. V-6 carries 1,599 (FWD) or 1,555 (AWD) of people, cargo and accessories. Four-cylinder payload not yet determined.

•How thirsty? V-6 rated 17 mpg in town, 23 (AWD) or 25 (FWD) on the highway, 19 (AWD) or 20 (FWD) in combined city/highway driving.

Trip computer in V-6 AWD test car registered 18.6 mpg (5.38 gallons per 100 miles) in mix of highway and suburban driving.

Burns regular, holds 18.6 gallons.

Overall: Excellent.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'm just happy Ford is building an "SUV" w/ features that drivers will actually use.

And eliminating features and capabilities, e.g., off-road, that a miniscule percentage would use.