GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

Spirit's Son

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2007
Bulverde, TX

Ford has been teasing us about a mid engine mustang for the past month on Instagram.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
OK. I think the classic definitions are:

Front engine : Engine in front of the driver
Mid engine: Engine behind the driver but in front of the rear axle
Rear Engine: Engine behind the rear axle.

So a front-mid engine would be behind the front axle but still in front of the driver.

Never heard the split of front before. But some claim that some physically long V8s might be considered front-mid as the center of mass is behind the axle... It's a fine distinction...

Need to throw this in the mix.
My 1968 SAAB 97 (Sonett 2) has its Ford V4 ahead of the front axle.
And its front whell drive too.

So the front axle is behind the engine in front.

It's not just out in front, its way F'ing out in front. Haha

Spirit's Son

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2007
Bulverde, TX

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Just when GM and Dodge abandon the segment, Ford gives them this giant middle finger. I’ll take one please. Love it.

Reactions: Nafod, JWZ and Stef

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Discussion continues here?

Love the sound!

Reactions: Stef

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So, it it considered a mid-engine car?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's not and I've spent all week chuckling that somehow the fact the car has a rear transaxle became conflated with "mid-engine Mustang." Super weird.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Cool car!
If MM is in on it , you know it’s going to be something special!

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
rumors are all over the board about the car being offered through dealers ( crazy adm gouging) or possibly a lottery type like the new FGT?

Spirit's Son

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2007
Bulverde, TX
It's not and I've spent all week chuckling that somehow the fact the car has a rear transaxle became conflated with "mid-engine Mustang." Super weird.
I figured as much... but didn't know if there was a second super-secret-underground-pinky-swear second car that was mid-engine. The Mustang GTD though is amazing 💪

These fools at Ford Authority are clowns

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Car looks fantastic. Ultra trick suspension, especially in the rear (in board dampers that are horizontal over the transaxle). We will buy one.

The big question to me is what does it weigh...... Find out someday, may be when I put it on our race scales.

Reactions: 006

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
rumors are all over the board about the car being offered through dealers ( crazy adm gouging) or possibly a lottery type like the new FGF
Ford posted on our Dealer website;"Mustang GTD will be available in late 2024, or early 2025 as a 25MY. Production will be limited, with allocation handled through an application process similar to Ford GT"

Reactions: RaceDeck

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The rear transaxle is nothing new. It's been done since the 1800s!

The wikipedia article:

makes a distinction over a rear transaxle and the later model Corvettes which it says is really a standard transmission mounted to the differential as opposed to an integrated unit. In that configuration the driveshaft moves to the front of the transmission but there are still distinct parts.

The design is mentioned to be carried over from the GT3.

Is the GTD an integrated unit?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Car looks fantastic. Ultra trick suspension, especially in the rear (in board dampers that are horizontal over the transaxle). We will buy one.

The big question to me is what does it weigh...... Find out someday, may be when I put it on our race scales.
Can’t wait to see it
Let me know when it arrives

Reactions: Specracer