GT Owner
Jan 17, 2007
Bulverde, TX

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It is not mid engine. You will have to wait until thursday for the public release.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Wow it would be a real news event if it's an all new platform as reported.

Well as a GT Forum member and hundred year dealer I'm hoping for a preview.

Were at the national dealer event now.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Interwebs rumor is an 800HP, carbon fiber GT3 Mustang for the street. Probably more reliable info than Ford Authority but not much

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Only DBK knows

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I came across this earlier today on YT.
Some on social media think it is and have said its a 'mid engine' Mustang (click bait).
I doubt it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Probably not mid engine - nothing on which to base it unless they're going to do another ultra expensive one off based on the NFGT technology in which case its a couple of years away and has a price tag that puts it out of the Mustang crowd's pocketbook.

An 800HP Mustang sounds like what Ford would have done for the Shelby GT500. Is the Ford/Shelby "partnership" over?

Reactions: Stef

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Probably not mid engine - nothing on which to base it unless they're going to do another ultra expensive one off based on the NFGT technology in which case its a couple of years away and has a price tag that puts it out of the Mustang crowd's pocketbook.

An 800HP Mustang sounds like what Ford would have done for the Shelby GT500. Is the Ford/Shelby "partnership" over?

Partnership over?
I doubt that too😎

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Will all be clearer tomorrow (Thursday 530 PDT)

Reactions: extrap

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Mid engine doesn't necessarily mean behind the cockpit. Wasn't the C7 also mid engine?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure if Ford/Multimatic were to make a new mid-engine platform that would sell in the same price range as the C8 Corvette and to have price points comparable to the Corvette trims (C06, ZR1) that it would be an instant hit even if the NFGT rules of engagement applied. They can badge it anything they want. It'll still be a couple of years away and would possibly buck the mindset of the all electric crowd, but hey why not.

Lots of true believers think a Mustang has to have a front engine and a back seat (regardless of how useless it is) but Ford badged a Mustang-E electric vehicle and in spite of the naming and what people think a Mustang is it still sells.

Ford said for many years that they didn't want to try to compete with GM on the Corvette - ie, a 2 seater "sports car for the masses". Maybe this would be it.

Alternative #2: Is the announcement for the street version of the GT3 discussed here:

What was the GT3 homologation base?

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
From Hemmings...

And this quote:

"We can only assume Ford’s new mid-engine super ‘stang will be produced in limited numbers. Sources say the MSRP could start at $400,000 and customers may need to apply to own one."

PLEASE, PLEASE Ford, say it ain't so....

Reactions: Spirit's Son

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Meanwhile others are assuming the GT40 look with non traditional vehicles. The Triumph GT/TR7IMG_7524.jpeg

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Mid engine doesn't necessarily mean behind the cockpit. Wasn't the C7 also mid engine?
True ... Bizzarrini ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris A.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
By what definition is the c7 mid engine?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
By what definition is the c7 mid engine?
mid (adj) mediocre, so so, meh

Reactions: PeteK

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Back when I bought an RX-7 in 1981, Mazda advertised it as a "Mid-front engine car" which meant that the engine was completely behind the line of the front axle. Since the Rotary engine was very short, this was a reasonably accurate description. Even though it had a solid (multilink) rear axle, it was very nimble with low polar moment of inertia.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Back when I bought an RX-7 in 1981, Mazda advertised it as a "Mid-front engine car" which meant that the engine was completely behind the line of the front axle. Since the Rotary engine was very short, this was a reasonably accurate description. Even though it had a solid (multilink) rear axle, it was very nimble with low polar moment of inertia.
OK. I think the classic definitions are:

Front engine : Engine in front of the driver
Mid engine: Engine behind the driver but in front of the rear axle
Rear Engine: Engine behind the rear axle.

So a front-mid engine would be behind the front axle but still in front of the driver.

Never heard the split of front before. But some claim that some physically long V8s might be considered front-mid as the center of mass is behind the axle... It's a fine distinction...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Front engine cars with 50/50 weight distribution have been called mid engine.

"What qualifies as a mid-engine car?

It is a type of car powertrain layout. Although the term "mid-engine" can mean the engine is placed anywhere in the car such that the centre of gravity of the engine lies between the front and rear axles"