May1-3, Ferrari Challenge Race at Infineon

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Oh Oh, looks like rain. X-1's don't do well without a top in the rain. I'm hoping for clear weather. If it's raining I'll probably go up in a different car.

The contact at the track is Matt Hintz. 231-690-9944. He will be at will/call-registration. The padddock manager Matt Michenzi has also been made aware that we will be attending. I would contact Matt Hintz for info on Saturday and Sunday.
Tom

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Tom

Thank you for arranging parking and the contact info.
Let's be positive. Many times the forecast said rain and when I showed up at Infineon for trackdays, it turned out dry.

Ed

Oh Oh, looks like rain. X-1's don't do well without a top in the rain. I'm hoping for clear weather. If it's raining I'll probably go up in a different car.

The contact at the track is Matt Hintz. 231-690-9944. He will be at will/call-registration. The padddock manager Matt Michenzi has also been made aware that we will be attending. I would contact Matt Hintz for info on Saturday and Sunday.
Tom

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Tom

Thank you for arranging parking and the contact info.
Let's be positive. Many times the forecast said rain and when I showed up at Infineon for trackdays, it turned out dry.

Ed

:thumbsup I think we will be OK for Friday!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
positive thinking never hurts

As of now there is a 70% chance of rain on Friday & 40% on Saturday. We can always hope the storm is delayed or moves more north of us. We'll know more tomorrow.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Remember 70% chance give no indication of the severity of the rain. Only that there is a 70% change of measurable precipitation during a 24 hr period. As long as the rain doesn't happen when our GTs are on the road or outside, who cares. Let's hope of the best.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't want to be a pessimist, but the current this Friday forecasts are:

Sonoma

Details for Friday, May 01
Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 66F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch. Friday night: Cloudy with periods of rain. Low near 50F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

San Mateo

Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 64F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a half an inch. Friday night: Rain. Low 54F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Sacramento

Showers early becoming a steady light rain later in the day. High 67F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Friday night: Periods of rain. Low 53F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

1/2" inch of rain is predicted later in the day and thats when we would be on the road. It sounds like a non-starter for Friday. The weather forecast is much better for Sat. with 60% showers predicted.

Who is planning to go Sat.?

Last edited:

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
I will be there rain or shine both days. Planning on taking the GT Friday and possibly Saturday. If no one else is going on Friday then I will just take the Audi.

michael

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I am still planning on comming tomorrow with the GT, unless it is really wet I might drive my Mustang GT500. I think I will play it by the moment, hoping to drive down with Ed to show off the GT's. Not sure what Ed is doing.

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
If it's raining, I'll have to pass. I hope we can all get together soon if this is the case.
Tom

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'm going and I'm taking the Heritage! Ok, at least there'll be 2 GTs there, right Michael?

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The rain poses two concerns in my opinion.

1. Causes a lot of dirt being splashed onto the car. (Not an issue for me since I wet wash the car).

2. 1st rains after a long dry spell = slick roads and poor visibility. Not a concern for me driving alone on the road. Unfortunately in the Bay Area you are never alone and this means an increased chance of a rear ender. I usually drive my beater truck if it is raining.

I think Friday is out for me, but Sat is a good possibility.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Rain, rain go away

Ok everyone - Special Ed is bowing out. I don't drive in the rain with the GT. Triheart7 - I'm going into the office instead. I'm going to make some money for my traction control for the GT! Maybe next weekend a drive? It'll be in the 80s & sunny then!

Special Ed

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
I'm going and I'm taking the Heritage! Ok, at least there'll be 2 GTs there, right Michael?

Well, then yes there will be. I may wind up parking the thing in my garage though. We'll see. I will still get there at 10:30-11:00.

Michael

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I woke at 9 am and it was raining already! I hope those that attend Friday have a good time. Who is going Sat?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
A big THANKS to Tom, the track took care of me well!

Coincidentally, Michael and I got to the track at the same time, and it was great meeting Gary (Fyr Ftr GT) and Cookie, charming people... We had a good time checking out the cars and chatting about our GT! The track was dry until around lunch time, even so, it wasn't that wet.

So, who else is going tomorrow, other me, Michael, Gary & Cookie?

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Weather permitting I plan to go Sat. Did they let any of you guys drive on the track?

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
Weather permitting I plan to go Sat. Did they let any of you guys drive on the track?

No. This is a race weekend.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Clinton,

it won't be too wet. come on, we want to see your new ass!!:thumbsup

If you do go, go to the Will Call office and mention Tom piana arranged for the GTs and the people behind the counter will give you the parking pass for the paddock and the comp tix to get in (thx Tom).

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
rainy California & sunny Florida

Have fun at Sears Point on Saturday everyone. I'm giving up on this rainy California weather & headed to Florida to visit Stormcat tomorrow.

Special Ed

PS Any of you want to meet me in Carmel next Saturday May 9 for the Quail Lodge Vintage Motorcycle Show & Auction?

http://www.quaillodge.com/events/index.cfm?eventId=EV_20090204110613807792

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
so does anyone have any reviews/reports?

sunday was pretty weak. the field was thin (13 cars) and very spread out. except for the race at the front it was a track day. cars were much quieter than i remember.

one guy got caught cheating! (polished intake manifold)

the historic cars ("drum brakes" group) were baller though.