Looking for a low mileage GT

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
@drilling You're scarin' me, man! Don't blow yourself up! Let us know if you want safe step by step instructions.
Yeah, drilling, it sounds like you are a mechanical newbie. No problem with that--we all had to start somewhere. These cars are pretty easy to work on, but you need to gain basic mechanical experience. Get a car buddy to come over to your house (or take your car to him) and have him guide you through it. We are happy to help you DIY, just get some assistance until you get a little experience with mechanical and electrical work.

Reactions: drilling

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Give me step by step instructions!!! I am usually not the type of guy to do diy on cars!! 😭
Alright here's a try: Disconnect the ground / black / negative terminal first, and wrap it in tape or zip tie it out of the way so it can't re-touch the battery's ground / black / negative terminal again until you're ready. Now you can safely do the red / positive terminal. Once you're done with the red and have re-secured it, then you can return to the ground / black / negative terminal and finish that one.

Well, here you go ... this guy has a middle eastern(?) accent, but he's correct:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Also ... do not touch a wrench or any other metal to the battery's two terminals at the same time! 💣 🔥 😱

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Here's a general idea of how the battery tender pigtail should be connected:
battery_tender.jpg

battery_tender.png

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It looks like they changed the connector type. That is an extension cord. That's different than the screw lugs on one end with the charger connector on the other. The one included is typically 2 or 3' with the long end being to the charger unit. Plus in my generation the end of the connector was a split polarized F/M configuration. Also I wanted one with the in-line fuse.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here's a general idea of how the battery tender pigtail should be connected:
View attachment 69004

View attachment 69003
The battery cables on my GT didn't have the "accessory" post and the diameter was too big so I split the ring (cut about 30* out of it so it would slip over the battery cable bolt. Was the same on my Mustangs.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The battery cables on my GT didn't have the "accessory" post and the diameter was too big so I split the ring (cut about 30* out of it so it would slip over the battery cable bolt. Was the same on my Mustangs.
Yeah, your split ring is fine 👍 or could attach the full ring to the horizontal bolt on each battery cable end connector, like this guy:

Here's a better, albeit longer, video on disconnecting / connecting the battery in the safe order:

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Ford GT owners are the kindest people

Reactions: HNS

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
drilling, if you intend to do more of your own work, get the manuals and wiring diagrams. tmcphail has sets for sale for $199, which is a reasonable price. See the thread about 05-06 GT Parts for sale.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Dang it. Can I just do cigarette port right? My head is about to explode watching these videos 🤯

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Dang it. Can I just do cigarette port right? My head is about to explode watching these videos 🤯
That is probably the simplest solution.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Yeah, that's simplest; can't really mess up. The only issue is having to feed the cord out a slightly cracked open window, or out the door jamb which I personally wouldn't do just because it could kinda kink / damage the cord, and/or put a ding in the door's weather stripping. Probably plenty of people do it, just not a shortcut I would be willing to take.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, that's simplest; can't really mess up. The only issue is having to feed the cord out a slightly cracked open window, or out the door jamb which I personally wouldn't do just because it could kinda kink / damage the cord, and/or put a ding in the door's weather stripping. Probably plenty of people do it, just not a shortcut I would be willing to take.

If you run the cord out of the driver side you're much less likely to forget and drive away with it connected. The good thing I found about the battery connection to a port by the tow hook area was that driving away was "forgiving" - it merely pulled apart...

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I am sorry for a potentially dumb question

Can I add the ring to black and red ends without taking the whole black (ground) off?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am sorry for a potentially dumb question

Can I add the ring to black and red ends without taking the whole black (ground) off?
Yes. Two possibilities

1. If the ring diameter fits over the bolt that tightens to connect the cable to the battery post then remove the nut on the cable bolt slip, the connector onto the bolt, replace and tighten nut.

2. If the hole on the connector is too small to fit over the post bolt then use a side cutter to cut a segment of the ring to split it. Cut enough that you can force the ring onto the bolt. Removing half woukd be too m much. You will have to spread it since the hole is a lready too small. Loosen the nut on the post and place the charger cable split ring between the nut and post. Tighten.

Of course you have to connect to the correct polarity. I hesitate to say the obvious but most of this is obvious.

Are you sure you don't want to just snake the ford cable through the driver window? It would be less stressful

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Yes. Two possibilities

1. If the ring diameter fits over the bolt that tightens to connect the cable to the battery post then remove the nut on the cable bolt slip, the connector onto the bolt, replace and tighten nut.

2. If the hole on the connector is too small to fit over the post bolt then use a side cutter to cut a segment of the ring to split it. Cut enough that you can force the ring onto the bolt. Removing half woukd be too m much. You will have to spread it since the hole is a lready too small. Loosen the nut on the post and place the charger cable split ring between the nut and post. Tighten.

Of course you have to connect to the correct polarity. I hesitate to say the obvious but most of this is obvious.

Are you sure you don't want to just snake the ford cable through the driver window? It would be less stressful
Thank you! You are right. I will play safe and just use the cigar jack.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you! You are right. I will play safe and just use the cigar jack.
I detect a lot of stress about wrenching on the gt. Me too at the beginning and then I realized it's just a f*n Ford! Unlike ferrari who sends you to jail if you work on your own car Ford doesn't care and actually encourages it. I mean everything is out there right in front of God and everybody. No exotic tools needed.

Enjoy! It's a hoot!

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I detect a lot of stress about wrenching on the gt. Me too at the beginning and then I realized it's just a f*n Ford! Unlike ferrari who sends you to jail if you work on your own car Ford doesn't care and actually encourages it. I mean everything is out there right in front of God and everybody. No exotic tools needed.

Enjoy! It's a hoot!
You are exactly right!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
They even sell paper shop manuals, unlike certain other brands...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They even sell paper shop manuals, unlike certain other brands...
Long discontinued. They published (through a third party, Helm) a CD version as well. Both show up occasionally on eBay. If you get one the 2006 CD has quite a few corrections (mostly to torque specs) over the 05 CD and printed versions. It is useful for two things: Detailed instructions on remove/replace and also part numbers in exploded diagrams.