Long Term GT Value Question

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I have been researching and shopping around a bit for a GT for a couple weeks now. I am 6'5 so a Gurney Bubble and foam reduction in the drivers seat are a must for me to comfortably drive it.

Saleen added some Gurney bubbles to some cars (not sure the exact number, 5 Heritage cars??) right after production and I believe the cars were then sold new to the public. Not sure how this exactly went but my understanding is as I described it above. 5 cars had the initial blessing.

You can take your GT today and have the bubble added for $4-$6k by Saleen or some other shops.

Let's say in 10 years you decide to sell your GT that had the bubble added 2 years after you bought it. Let's say it is a a big national televised auction. Your car "post production bubble" and one of these "original" Gurney bubble cars are selling side by side. Both bubbles added by say Saleen and all documented and pictures and paperwork available.

Are you really going to see a huge (if any) price difference if the cars were the same color, similar mileage, same options etc...?

I only ask because I like limited production stuff and I am trying to figure that into any purchase I may make.

Just interested in the groups thoughts on not only the bubble but how other mods may help or hurt long term value if the car is taken from it's original make up.

In the Shelby Mustang world originality is everything with these newer super cars there seem to be some mods that are generally accepted as being ok or adding value.

Mike

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
:dead::dead:

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
:dead::dead:

:lol
just kidding... nothing is going to change... mods etc..... the majority here believes a well kept GT will hold its value

WELL KEPT being the key phrase

WELL KEPT

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Look at any other "collectable" car. What ALWAYS brings the most money (all other things being equal)? A stove top STOCKER - or one with mods?

You know the answer. :biggrin :cheers

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
Look at any other "collectable" car. What ALWAYS brings the most money (all other things being equal)? A stove top STOCKER - or one with mods?

You know the answer. :biggrin :cheers

Exactly! If anything will be worth more! Now go buy a car :thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I don't really think about future value that much since I don't plan on selling the car, but due to the level of investment I have in it, I've only stuck to the Ford Racing mods (short shifter, trans.cooler), or those completely reversible (Macintosh relocation) because I know that originality is always worth more in the long run.

I am 6'5" like you and I can drive quite comfortably without the 'Gurney bubble'. I did have my seat bottom thinned out some, and that is sufficient for me for every day use. If I wear a helmet - it's tight.

BJ Motor

*Supporting Vendor*
Jan 15, 2007
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
If it is a driver enjoy the car, with that being stated the Gurney Bubble will make the car more comfortable, If your planning on tracking the car I would say at 6"5 it's a must also comfort, the trans axle cooler is a nice mod, short throw shifter, I driving a car with pulley, tune and exhaust (nothing better) just the right amount of WOW factor that is manageable, your cosmetic items anything bolt on will not hurt the value (just an opinion) it's been like this with all the cars I sell, but the cars are just fun to drive any two ways you look at it. There are a handful of individuals who have put there cars away in wrapper, and then there are guys who drive them on a group event or nice day. The cars are holding there value so the longer you wait the higher premimium you will pay. I am extremely heavy into selling the Dodge Viper and still am to date. But I have also increased my inventory and am in love with owning the GT, not to mention having a bunch here. Comfortable, fun to drive and the rare colors are becoming harder to find. This is a car that has spiked my interest enough to dig deep into the history of the car and I have had the opportunity to meet a group of quality individuals who own the cars, I am also looking forward to the rally in September in Vegas. The forum here is of a great caliber and also a wealth of information, so you can't go wrong whatever you decide to do. It's like buying a new tie and you have 17 different colors with 17 different patterns, it's what will look better for you in the scheme of things. So stop being a girly girl and buy a car.:bow

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I would buy a door and have the bubble installed on that one. I think a car with the bubble will trade at a discount to a stock one.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I would buy a door and have the bubble installed on that one. I think a car with the bubble will trade at a discount to a stock one.

interesting thought. I imagine you could have door ordered and sent to Saleen and hold the original in case you sold the car. Only issue is paint fade over time.

I sat in a GT a week ago for the first time, at 6'5" 240 it is tight without the top and mods.

Bernie, let's have a cage match and if I win I get to pick one of your GT's. Seriously, thanks for the input.

Mike

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree with most here. If we are talking 25 to 30 years down the road, the stock car is probably gonna bring more, but who can tell the future? Get a car and make it suit you best. Unless you really mess it up, I would say you will do A, OK, in the future. Once you get a car, you will be the happiest guy around! :thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am the exact same size as you. I think you will probably fit comfortably just having your seat bottom cushion lowered, without doing the Bubble. That is assuming you don't wear a helmet. Just get it

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Gurney bubble is unique enough with a history that it may not make a lot of difference in the price as long as it was put on by Saleen. I prefer stock when buying a car, especially a classic, which the FGT is already at that level.
burnrubber.gif

Last edited:

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
During Rally I, (if I recall correctly) at the end of FGT production, Saleen was promoting the "Gurney Bubble Conversion" and one of their preferred options was for you to ship your door to them for the bubble conversion and then they would ship it back to you.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
These hot rods will be worthless in 50 yrs when we can't get gas. Enjoy it now the way you want it.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I don't really think about future value that much since I don't plan on selling the car, but due to the level of investment I have in it, I've only stuck to the Ford Racing mods (short shifter, trans.cooler), or those completely reversible (Macintosh relocation) because I know that originality is always worth more in the long run.QUOTE]
100% correct IMO and consistent with my mods.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
This is idle conversation if Obama gets elected and his Troy Horse pulls up to the White House; however, in the event that doesn't occur, I have saved all the pieces from the X1 conversion in case the next owner hates roadsters. It could probably be returned to original factory delivered condition for about $300,000, and if the X1 pieces are saved, the 3rd owner could again have it converted to a roadster. :biggrin :cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
This is idle conversation if Obama gets elected and his Troy Horse pulls up to the White House; however, in the event that doesn't occur, I have saved all the pieces from the X1 conversion in case the next owner hates roadsters. It could probably be returned to original factory delivered condition for about $300,000, and if the X1 pieces are saved, the 3rd owner could again have it converted to a roadster. :biggrin :cheers

:thumbsup

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal

you're craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy...:lol

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
If the "Gurney bubble" was performed by Saleen, and since Saleen practically built the car anyway and offered it literally at the time of production, and since the "Gurney bubble" is a legendary part of the history of the car, it will add value to the car this year, next year, or 50 years down the road. The more years you look down the road the more it will add to the value of the car. Remember, the Ford GT is a "tribute" car. How much will it add? Who knows. A lot depends of how many people actually have Saleen do the mod which won't be many. For a real collector, it's a mod you want because Saleen offered it.

Remember that factory Lamborghini Miura SV Jota's are sky high above a standard Miura SV, and even a Miura SV that was sent back to the factory within the first few years after production to have the Jota spec mods done are still selling for hundreds of thousands over the price of a standard stock Miura SV. There are many other examples of cars that we can look at for history about "factory sponsored" or even "ex-factory workers mods". Take a Miura SV that has had the motor rebuilt by Wallace with "special improvements", that car will sell for far more than the cost of the mods. I think the same will be said of Kip Ewing's carbon mods, Alex's design of the Penske suspension mod, and certainly little things like "factory original alternate embossed gas caps". Short throw shifters are already out of production, and it doesn’t take a genius to see that years down the road the cars with them will sell for far more than ones without them and the difference will far exceed the value of the mod today.

Yes, without doubt, the Saleen “Gurney bubble” will make your car worth more money in the end.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

You may recall I was going to get a "Gurney bubble door" to display in my office just like the one Saleen had in their lobby. Saleen started to price a complete door but we stopped at $22k because it was apparent it wasn't an inexpensive undertaking.