Long Term GT Value Question

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
exported SEVERAL

I have exported probably 12 GTs this year alone. 4 Heritage cars, my white TT GT, 1 yellow, 2 white, 2 black GTs, 1 midnight blue GT. I may be forgetting a couple

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
name any car made in america after 1980 that you think will yeild [sic] a better ROI than the GT 30 years from now......

1) 1987 Buick GNX
2) 1993 Mustang Cobra R

Both made in far fewer numbers than our GT's, and with a much lower initial investment.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
1) 1987 Buick GNX
2) 1993 Mustang Cobra R

Both made in far fewer numbers than our GT's, and with a much lower initial investment.

the 2 cars that you have mentioned here are much closer to thier peak in terms of maximum resale value as they are much older than the Ford GT. that said i think given a identical time horizon for any car to be considered that the Ford GT will do better than both of these cars. an 87' GNX has a 20 year head start on the GT and is already near its peak with just 10 years to go. a 2006 Ford GT has only aged 2 years and i think in another 28 years that its resale value will exceed the GNX on a pecentage basis. the only car i can see doing better than a Ford GT 30 years after it was built is a Saleen S7 twin turbo. since that car is techincally a tuner car imo it is a wild card bet that i would not take.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Its funny, but everytime someone starts anything about the future value of the GT, it is a very popular thread that pretty much comes out with the same answer in the end which is....., no one knows. Everyone HOPES they will continue to do well, and current sales are backing that up. Long story short....., sit back, enjoy the ride. Enjoy the car. If they continue to rise, then its just another bonus that comes along with owning this great piece of american history. The GT is IMHO the best amrican produced sports car on the road today. There is no other car made in America that will get as many looks, Thumbs up :thumbsup, and pictures taken of, as the FORD GT does. All speculation aside, it is an AWESOME CAR!!!! :cheers

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Sorry, I can't agree at all.

Why do Vipers crash down in value when the newest, latest and greatest next model comes out? Same question needs to be asked about Ferrari's :)

for the same reason that all the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's values decreased from their original purchase price. they go down in value for about 10-20 years until they bottom out from which point they go way up in value very quickly over the next 10-20 years. back during the entire 70's you could buy a used muscle car of any flavor from the 60's for less than what it cost new when adjusted for inflation and in some cases without the inflation adjustment.

the same thing is happening all over again. vipers are finding their bottom. the viper will no longer be made after 2011 and that is when prices for 1990's vipers will bottom. come 2020 when the federally mandated 35 mpg fleet average is fully phased in the prices of all vipers (1992-2011) are gonna escalate rapidly as muscle and sports cars will be made in was less volumes than they are now with much more governmental crash test regulations, insurance, black boxes, GPS tracking systems, BIG brother, red tape, etc. this is gonna make the vipers lack of computer nannies and overregulation by the Gov't a much more desireable and collectible car in the same way that a 60's cobra is today. dwindling oil supplies and the HIGH price of gas will create a situation just like we had in the 70's all over again.

BONY - History is repeating itself. i hope you don't get left behind my friend. i for one will be cashing in on the future as the Gov't deals the cards and i play them to win.

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I agree with everyone here. We all think the GT makes a decent investment but in reality we could make a better annualized return elsewhere with our cash...but then having that extra cash wouldn't make us as happy as seeing a GT in the garage!

Having said that - i'm 5'8" and should be asking this question on value added/subtracted from the bubble. If you're 6'5" and the bubble is a "must" sounds like question of the "investment return" of the bubble is a moot point...

GL on your decision!

AGREED!!!

H

HHGT

I am selling 2012 PUTS & SHORTS on the value of the Gts. Anyone interested?

:biggrin:biggrin:biggrinI feel like a bookie:lol:lol:lol

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
I am selling 2012 PUTS & SHORTS on the value of the Gts. Anyone interested?

:biggrin:biggrin:biggrinI feel like a bookie:lol:lol:lol

A great idea...let me know if there are any takers and i'll do it with you!

H

HHGT

A great idea...let me know if there are any takers and i'll do it with you!

PM me and I'll fill you in on the bonus incentive plan. I know Kingman & Chris A will buy PUTs and Bony will buy a SHORT. Whatever you do, please don't tell anyone here on the forum as this could yield incredible profits, and I want to be the first to market it. We can also start some Blogs to artificially sink the "No Option" cars value and inflate the value of "Red/Wht 4 Option" cars.:rofl:rofl:rofl

Man I am getting excited, I can turn this into an MLM and then Franchise the idea. Heck, I'll get a head-hunter to go after Empty Pockets (I hear he sits all day writing politically charged letters) and get him in on the ground level and if he does well, I know of a White/Orange car that that I can give him as part of my President's Club sale campaign. :cheers:cheers:cheers

Further, I will establish a corporate entity in a foreign land with no treaties with the US, build this into an empire, sign a deal with "Trump's Apprentice" TV show. Then I could keep all the profits there and buy an Enzo Ferrari.:willy:willy:willy

Subsequently, I'll get Diplomat license plates (w/ a personalized license plate that says "F LIBERALS"), import the Enzo to the US and drive it around here in SoCal without having to Register it and avoid having to pay for speeding tickets. :eek:eek:eek

Okay, I am signing off now before I wet my pants. Anyone know of an Enzo for sale?:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Prices will hold constant, till Ford comes out with another halo car and the FGT market gets flooded. Same thing happens with Ferrari's, Porsches and Vipers...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
meanwhile, drive the wheels off them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
PM me and I'll fill you in on the bonus incentive plan. I know Kingman & Chris A will buy PUTs and Bony will buy a SHORT. Whatever you do, please don't tell anyone here on the forum as this could yield incredible profits, and I want to be the first to market it. We can also start some Blogs to artificially sink the "No Option" cars value and inflate the value of "Red/Wht 4 Option" cars.:rofl:rofl:rofl

Man I am getting excited, I can turn this into an MLM and then Franchise the idea. Heck, I'll get a head-hunter to go after Empty Pockets (I hear he sits all day writing politically charged letters) and get him in on the ground level and if he does well, I know of a White/Orange car that that I can give him as part of my President's Club sale campaign. :cheers:cheers:cheers

Further, I will establish a corporate entity in a foreign land with no treaties with the US, build this into an empire, sign a deal with "Trump's Apprentice" TV show. Then I could keep all the profits there and buy an Enzo Ferrari.:willy:willy:willy

Subsequently, I'll get Diplomat license plates (w/ a personalized license plate that says "F LIBERALS"), import the Enzo to the US and drive it around here in SoCal without having to Register it and avoid having to pay for speeding tickets. :eek:eek:eek

Okay, I am signing off now before I wet my pants. Anyone know of an Enzo for sale?:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

SIGN ME UP! :agree::agree::agree:

(Be quick on gettin' me that white/orange. I knowz a guy who's hot after that'n fer a track car.) ('Fer real!)

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I agree with Black Ice.

I think because of the fact that FGT is a Halo car and commerated Ford's 100 year anniversary, its DNA comes from one of the the most famous race cars of all time and the fact that there are approximately 3400 surviving FGTs in the world today and probably less as years go by the car will hold its value and despite any replacement Ford comes out with.

Mildly moded cars will hold their value too as long as you have all the original parts.

Look at the Corvettes from the 60's. Gazillon new Corvettes didn't sink the value of the older ones.

Sorry, Bony, your wrong on this one. I still love your Avatars though!!!!:eek:banana

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
an 87' GNX has a 20 year head start on the GT and is already near its peak with just 10 years to go.

Near its peak, huh? That's what guys thought about the first Hemi Cuda that sold for six figures. And with only 547 copies made, the GNX has all the makings of a serious long term collectible.

Hell...20 years out and they're already worth double their new value, even triple if the miles are super low and the documentation is there. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if the FGT triples in value in 17 years.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sadly Evan, your wrong, how many true honest NCRS C2 Vettes remain? Back then nobody planned on collecting them. Today is another story. There will be a thousand plus near perfect 2005-06 FGT's in forty years. Enjoy the car.

Posting on a forum with a bunch of wishful dreamers will not make it happen. Numbers make it happen.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
bony

sSig_youtheman.gif

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Near its peak, huh? That's what guys thought about the first Hemi Cuda that sold for six figures. And with only 547 copies made, the GNX has all the makings of a serious long term collectible.

Hell...20 years out and they're already worth double their new value, even triple if the miles are super low and the documentation is there. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if the FGT triples in value in 17 years.

triple the value of the msrp in 17 years...... i will take that bet :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
triple the value of the msrp in 17 years...... i will take that bet :thumbsup

Are the prices adjusted for inflation?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Honestly, if you take into account the numbers that the population of people is growing, and the number of wealthy people that has grown over the past 20 years, and take us another 20+ years ahead, 1000 cars will be a very low number. $500k will also not be as big of a number as it is today.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH......

This thread could never end.

Kill it bony before I shot myself! :willy

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm going to let my children worry about this! I'm having my second childhood (adolescence) and enjoying the S**t out of it! It won't matter to me what they are worth 30 years from now - so there! :banana