Just ordered my new 2014 GT3

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
My car is due 4-14. I absolutley love these and quite honestly I don't care if it has the PDK vs a manual. I do have a 458 so maybe I have gotten over it already.

So I wanted to post this here given we are all traditionlists with the gt and its lack of a pdk,traction control etc. and get other opinions.

So what are your thoughts on the new gt 3 not having a manual, having rear wheel steering and some electronically controlled steering. Is the beginning of the end...

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I want a ride!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Totally awesome car ...... no matter what ttransmission they put into it :) Color?

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
White with black interior. Yellow carbon ceramic brakes. Standard color wheels.

All of the videos and write ups on this and I really think this is going to be a winner for porsche.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I'll go ahead and take one of those no matter what transmission is in it.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Not interested with PDK, sure its faster on the track and for that i have a number of track cars, 99% of these cars are for street use and there i enjoy the clutch/shift feeling, jmo and clearly i am in the minority....

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I will cling to 3 pedals as long as I can. I too don't care if its faster. Once the skill of car control and shifting has been learned, it is fun to keep using these skills. The current cars that are coming and will continue to come, are unreal.

Will it be fun to "race" an autonomous car?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Not interested with PDK, sure its faster on the track and for that i have a number of track cars, 99% of these cars are for street use and there i enjoy the clutch/shift feeling, jmo and clearly i am in the minority....

Bravo, doc.
The GT3 (and even more so, the forthcoming RS version) will be technological marvels, ultimate track weapons. Seeing how 99.9% of customers will never take it on the track, it's just a waste. Gimme a 6 (or 7 as is the case now) speed box, Porsche or I'm not coming back.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
QUOTE=beckertb;357183]Not interested with PDK, sure its faster on the track and for that i have a number of track cars, 99% of these cars are for street use and there i enjoy the clutch/shift feeling, jmo and clearly i am in the minority....[/QUOTE]

I will cling to 3 pedals as long as I can. I too don't care if its faster. Once the skill of car control and shifting has been learned, it is fun to keep using these skills. The current cars that are coming and will continue to come, are unreal.

Will it be fun to "race" an autonomous car?

Bravo, doc.
The GT3 (and even more so, the forthcoming RS version) will be technological marvels, ultimate track weapons. Seeing how 99.9% of customers will never take it on the track, it's just a waste. Gimme a 6 (or 7 as is the case now) speed box, Porsche or I'm not coming back.
Doc, you're clearly not in the minority here, and I'm with all of you above!!! My daily driver is fine with 2 pedals, on my toys (I don't track my cars, but do like to drive on the track as I don't worry about speeding tickets then!) I want 3 proper pedals and something to move with my right hand (no you perverts, not that!):driving::driving::driving:

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Bravo, doc.

For what it is worth, porsche research shows that 8 out of the 10 gt3 customers track their cars. Again, if you like the 3 pedals and the feeling doesnt matter but 80 percent of the customers are tracking the car

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
For what it is worth, porsche research shows that 8 out of the 10 gt3 customers track their cars. Again, if you like the 3 pedals and the feeling doesnt matter but 80 percent of the customers are tracking the car

Wow. Link to info? Not doubting what you've heard/read, but I find that extremely hard to believe.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Wow. Link to info? Not doubting what you've heard/read, but I find that extremely hard to believe.

www.roadandtrack.com/car.../2014-porsche-911-gt3-road-test-review

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

"We are sorry but the page you are looking for can not be found at this time."

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That works fine...

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
try this one its the road and track review article

Thanks. I'd still like to see Porsche's 'research' on this.
Regardless, the car will be an animal. The styling of the 991 has grown on me, and the GT3 has taken it a step further (as is usually does) in aggressiveness above the base Carreras. Nonetheless, if I had another $200K to drop on a car, it won't be one with paddles.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Congrats on your new purchase.
Use it in the best of health!
Mark

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So what are your thoughts on the new gt 3 not having a manual, having rear wheel steering and some electronically controlled steering. Is the beginning of the end...

image.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would be grateful for an automated manual if bonehead amputated my left leg.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Thanks. I'd still like to see Porsche's 'research' on this.
Regardless, the car will be an animal. The styling of the 991 has grown on me, and the GT3 has taken it a step further (as is usually does) in aggressiveness above the base Carreras. Nonetheless, if I had another $200K to drop on a car, it won't be one with paddles.

Bonehead???? Really?? Are you still using Penicillin for all infections too???:facepalm::facepalm:

If I could only have ONE car, I agree....I'd prefer the manual transmission in the FGT simply because it adds another visceral dimension to the driving experience. Having said that, don't forget that the only reason porsche no longer offers the manual transmission in the turbo or 991 GT3 is that the PDK is decidedly faster. Let me say that I think you would really enjoy the new 991 PDK transmission. As with my previous 997, this car is not even drivable in the non-sport mode, but in sport mode and with sport exhaust the PDK car is very enjoyable to drive. IMHO, I think that if you own a FGT your other exotic car SHOULD be one w a dual clutch.

The GT3 offers incredible value, being priced lower than the Turbo and will clearly hold its value better. The "H.O." version of the RS that will be produced in limited quantities like the RS 4.0 (which is already 50% more than its MSRP from just two years ago) will be an unbelievable car. The suspension though is VERY stiff and if this car is to be a daily driver may present issues....or visits to Bonehead.

When Ron and I went for a drive with the GT's a few weeks back near Ojai, I would instinctively search for the paddles behind the steering wheel! Kinda cracked me up because I was a little anti-PDK to begin with but now really like it.