Just bought new rear tires!!!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I'm sure they are not a sponsor... ( forgive me DBK ) but I just bought the true spec Good Year supercar Eagle F1 tires from www.tirerack.com for $309 a piece...... Now, I may be a fool......(sshhhh!!) but that's pretty damn good yeah? They are shipping to my door for an OTD total of $654.66 The fronts are not needed but were $189 a tire.... hope this helps anyone with cost or gives you a reason to burn some more rubber...:cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Let us know where you get them mounted and how.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Mounting is no issue at all. Most tire shops can do the rears.

The trick is having the machine that can balance them. I went to 6 different places and none would work. They all had good coats equip. In desperation I stopped by Costco, they had the latest high tech Coats machine. They would not mount the tires because I did not buy from them, but the service manager after hearing my story balanced them for free. He resfused payment or a tip. It was close to lunch so I bought the whole crew In-N-Out. I am a long time Costco member. Kudos to Costco.

The issue you will find with most balancers is that when mounted the inside offset of the rim comes very close to the machine. This give the machine an error message and it will not proceed. They all had spacers that were for large hubs, we tried them all and nothing would mount up true.

I searched high and low and could not find anyone with a roadforce balancer that was not a Porsche dealer, and they had no interest in helping me out. :thumbsdow ....Maybe they are still pissed about the GT kickin' some Porsche bootie in the mag tests.

The Costco balance has been tested to 170mph with no vibration whatsoever. The fronts were balanced on a normal coats machine at America's Tire that was fairly new, no issues with the fronts at that speed either.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
well, I was honestly thinking........ mount 'em at the dealership.... probably a bad idea? OR, I'll call around and get some info.... don't want to scratch the rims and obviously.... I want them true (balanced)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Talking of balancing...... we must have some experts here.

I recently had my rears replaced and know they will have been balanced perfectly - but my fronts now feel unbalanced at speed.

Would a fresh set of balanced rears throw the fronts out or introduce something that would give a steering wheel wobble at high speeds where there was none before?

Thanks

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Talking of balancing...... we must have some experts here.

I recently had my rears replaced and know they will have been balanced perfectly - but my fronts now feel unbalanced at speed.

Would a fresh set of balanced rears throw the fronts out or introduce something that would give a steering wheel wobble at high speeds where there was none before?

Thanks

'May not BE your "fronts", Neil. If there was no pblm B4U put on the new "rears" and now there IS, you might have the same pblm I encountered once: the 'balancing machine gave faulty readings.

I spent a bunch of $$$ trying to chase down a wobble/vibration that occurred AFTER I had new rear meats put on one of my street machines. Weeks later found out the tire shop's new balance machine was out of whack. They rebalanced the new rear tires - pblm GONE. (And so was about $200 in unnecessary expenditures trying to chase the pblm down.)

I'm not saying this IS the pblm, 'just something you might want to check out. :shrug

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
New rear 'meats' :lol

That's interesting. I had the rears done by Roush (of course) who are triple 5 star rated people. However they probably hadn't tested the GT at 140mph (which is where the wobble is). It was like a knife through butter before the new rears, so it must be my new sausages then. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... 140mph (which is where the wobble is).

I won't even ask how it's possible you know that! :rofl :cheers

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
For those in Detroit & SoCal

At the Dearborn Rally, I thought I saw an area at Saleen that had the proper mounting & (Road Force) balancing equipment.

Last edited:

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
For all my sports cars, I only take it to a place that has one of these for balancing. http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm Absolute necessity IMHO and it's worth the extra cost. Spin-balancing is not accurate, sorry.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
That's interesting. I had the rears done by Roush (of course) who are triple 5 star rated people. However they probably hadn't tested the GT at 140mph (which is where the wobble is). It was like a knife through butter before the new rears, so it must be my new sausages then. :biggrin

Neil,

It was a great to see you on Wednesday.

Maybe you're losing your nerve with your advanced age and it's your hands that are shaking?

Rob

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
:lol

Remind me to show you where the throttle is on yours someday kinky. :biggrin

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
TmStunts, I would ask the dealer. They may have new equip that will handle it. My local dealers did not. They could balance 20'-24's. Our offset is the problem, not the diameter. If we had 1-2" more lip in the front all those machines would have worked.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The reason I brought this up, is that my purchase dealership does sell Roush, but will only guarantee them to 150mph, the rating on their machine. I have not contacted the Porsche dealer in St. Louis yet as recommended by some very old posts. I think it will be hard to find a place to do 200 mph in the midwest. If anybody knows, please let me know, cause I'll need rear tyres (for you Neilda) soon enough.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
For those in the Costa Mesa So. Cal. area Coast General Performance can do it, ask for Ron. His prices are good and doesn't care if you watch. 714 540 5710

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
For those in the Costa Mesa So. Cal. area Coast General Performance can do it, ask for Ron. His prices are good and doesn't care if you watch. 714 540 5710
Thanks for the info Steve and the rest of you guys. Tires should be here monday and I'll take care of the mounting next week sometime

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
I bought a full set of Goodyear OEMs from tirerack.com earlier this Spring.
I had them mounted on a second set of rims (std vs. optional rims).
After doing some searching, I was able to find a couple places in town with a Hunter roadforce balancer, but the local Ford dealer offered a similar price, and simply outsourced the job (mounting & balancing) to one of these guys anyway.
The difference with going through Ford was that they guaranteed no damage, or they would replace the rims.

RickM ('05 #2032)

Naples GT

Heritage GT Owner
May 8, 2006
Naples, Florida
I spent the $25,000 for the Hunter Road Force machine and the Hunter Tire machine. Combined they do "Force Matching" ... That is what the RED and BLACK dots are on the Ford GT wheels and tires when the car was new. My shop only restores DeLoreans and there is a six month wait to get in the door BUT since I own a GT if any owners in my area need to have tires mounted let me know, I'll be happy to help.

www.dmcflorida.com

Tony

Attachments

• DSC05752.jpg
    DSC05752.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC04242.jpg
    DSC04242.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC04244.jpg
    DSC04244.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04248.jpg
    DSC04248.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 117

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Combined they do "Force Matching" ... That is what the RED and BLACK dots are on the Ford GT wheels and tires when the car was new.

I wondered what the "black dots" on my wheels were all about ...but my GT's tires didn't HAVE any red dots on them when delivered. Does that mean anything (other than the dealer's tire dressing removed 'em)?

Larry

Naples GT

Heritage GT Owner
May 8, 2006
Naples, Florida
I wondered what the "black dots" on my wheels were all about ...but my GT's tires didn't HAVE any red dots on them when delivered. Does that mean anything (other than the dealer's tire dressing removed 'em)?

Larry

Your right, they scrubed them clean and then put on the tire dressing :)

The machines make you mark the tire and rim and then lign up the dots for the best rolling assembly. The machine is special because it holds the rim while it turns the tire to line up the dots. Then the Road Force drum comes down on the tire with 1400 lb/ft to simulate the tire on the road with the wieght of the car on it.

Tony