Just bought new rear tires!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Your right, they scrubed them clean and then put on the tire dressing :)

The machines make you mark the tire and rim and then lign up the dots for the best rolling assembly. The machine is special because it holds the rim while it turns the tire to line up the dots. Then the Road Force drum comes down on the tire with 1400 lb/ft to simulate the tire on the road with the wieght of the car on it.

Tony

Thanks, Tony.
I've just sent an email to Hunter 2C if they can give me the name of an outfit up here in this area that has one of their machines. Hopefully they keep records of that sorta thing. (Ya. Right! Good luck to ME! :bored )

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
So the shope i was thinking of using has a Hunter DSP 9700. Is that good enough?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I just spent quite a bit of time researching this. The Hunter Roadforce 9700 seems to be the machine for the purpose. I didn't realize the home office was in St. Louis, so everybody has one around here, including my purchase dealer. Go to the Hunter website and you can learn all about it, plus they show all the places that have them.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Most Discount Tire (Brand name) stores have the Hunter 9700. I've put a couple of sets of rears on my Viper and they did a great job (well, get their most experienced guy because I did have to have one install re-done after a rookie tried). Have yet to need tires for the GT, but this is great info, thanks!

Also I didn't always buy the tires from Discount but they mounted and lifetime balanced for $25 a wheel. If you buy from them it's included.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
discount tire will often match the tire racks price. They just order from them and get tires shipped right to the store.