It got me home - but stalled 15 meters in front of the garage.

Alex911

FORD GT OWNER - FROM RUSSIA TT FGT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Good day to you all!

I have had the car for over 3 months now and have managed to put about 2.5k miles on the clock. 3 weeks ago I have reflashed the car after the battery disconnect and started experiencing problems with the car missfiring at 1.5k RPM's and holding idle RPMS at around 500. I reflashed it with another tune and the car started working fine again. Yesterday I was driving back home and it was raining quite heavily when I was in 2nd gear at about 4k RPM's the car suddenly stalls in the middle of the road in a curve (yikes!) then when i gave it some gas it fired up again. Then the car would stall, every time I let go the gas (if held above 2k RPM it didn't stall). Checked DTC's - nothing. This morning tried to start it up - the car starts but still stalls if no gas is given and operates fery unsmoothely with a lot of unburned fuel coming out of the exhaust (smell I mean) and white smoke coming out of exhaust and in the engine compartment. The car has less than 1/2 of fuel tank.
The tow truck will take it to the shop today.
First thing - that I told them to check is the spark plugs.
Fuel filler will be my next guess. Any other issues that might cause this? - again no error codes appear in my SCT.
When trying to reflash the car - the SCT gives me : Error no index file found.
Does anyone know how to fix that? maybe I just need to reload the tunes with live load?
Thanks,
Alex!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
White smoke USUALLY means coolant has found it's way into the exhaust...usually via a cracked head or blown head gasket. Especially if there's a "sweet" smell to said white smoke. :ack:ack:ack

White smoke is normal on startup...'just condensation burning off in the exhaust pipes. But, it's present for LONGER than that process takes........?

Alex911

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No its definately not the coolant. There is a very strong smell of unburned fuel- thankfully no coolant. Seems like one of the injectors or all are flooding the cylinders. Will give Jason Heffner a call - maybe he has some diagnostics advise.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I hope its not a big problem, but white smoke is usually not a good sign:frown

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
one injector stuck in the open position?

Is it coming out of both sides of the engine or just the left or right bank?

mardyn

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Don't want to belabor the point, Alex, but, did you check your 'coolant level?

By the way, to address your other question: I can't see any way the fuel filler would cause this smoke thing.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Honestly guys, I am pretty sure its NOT coolant. Sound similar to the problem we had with a hung Injector (No sexual humor please :biggrin ). Anyway as Alex said, he had a low battery and thats when the problems started. He is very aware of coolant levels, etc. All problems started with the low voltage and re program. Sounds alot like the problem we experienced 3 weeks ago with a DEAD BATTERY on a bone stock car. Call Heffner. I am sure he will help you get it figured out. Also, try Shadow man. He is great help in situations like these! :thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The first thing I would do is pull the plugs and see what they look like. Use a flash light to look down in the cylinders... you may see oil/water/a valve! I've had coils fail on other cars that can cause it to run poorly. A speed shop should be able to easily test the coils.

Bah, never mind what I say... wait for Shadowman to chime in.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Leaking fuel rail? Haven't heard of this for a while, but I think Jason would have caught it when he did the TT.

Alex911

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Today is a good day! We have discovered the reason for the malfunctioning was WATER! I was driving in heavey rain before it stalled and apparently lots of water got in to the enginge compartment through the rear wheels and the cover! and 3 cylynder coils an plugs were malfunctioning because of that. As well we have found a loose screw on one of the pipes going to the wastegates so that explains my boost issues. Bought the car a small present KW var3 coilovers - they are being put on right now and will try to write up my impressions on Saturday when I take it to the track for some tests. Thanks all for the advice!
Now I am thinking of some custom carbon covers to stop the water from going in to the rain. We will draw up a design (they will be put behing the brake disks on the rear) and I will post pics.
My SCT problem still exsists and from what I read from their forum - I need to call Jason so that he sends me a new Index file.
Watch out when driving it in the wet!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Glad to hear problem was found and nothing major. I figured it was something like this. Let us know how it turns out!!! :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now I AM puzzled!

I can understand rain water causing white smoke to come out of the engine compartment as it evaporates. That's pretty much a given. But, how the devil did water get INTO THE ENGINE in order to exit white smoke out thru the tailpipes???:eek

Ya. SOME moisture could get to the air filter I suppose. But, in amounts sufficient to cause the pblm you outlined??? ('Evidently, I guess! :shrug)

Alex911

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It wasn't water causing the smoke. Water caused the coils and the plugs to malfunction hence 3 cylinders did not ignite and it was unburned fuel causing the smoke.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have read that this has happened to some after washing the engine. The ignition coils covers have a rubber gasket to stop water intrusion. I guess it doesn't work too well.

Alex, you have now single handily reduced the mileage on the GT fleet. Some owners never drive their GTs in the rain, I suspect this tread will add to that list.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
glad to see it was not serious!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Alex, congrats on dodging a bullet..

I remember that Frank posting that he always drives in the rain. I actually thought his car was more of a boat after reading his first year of posts and maybe in So. Illinois it is a boat now.....

How come this never happened to you before Frank? or is that what you use the "jelly" for?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't have any leaks into my engine compartment. Just drove in the rain again last week. Can't get to my boat in Alton cause the Mississippi is up so high. Alex's TT setup must have some extra holes somewhere. What say you Jason?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't have any leaks into my engine compartment. Just drove in the rain again last week. Can't get to my boat in Alton cause the Mississippi is up so high. Alex's TT setup must have some extra holes somewhere. What say you Jason?

I would guess some changes allow more water to get into the engine compartment. All OEM cars go through a water test that simulates a rainstorm to insure that the car will operate in the rain.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

I think Alex's issue was just an isolated incident. The twin turbo cars don't have any extra holes that would allow more water in. In fact all the extra plumbing and the turbos themselves would tend to block MORE water.

Maybe the rubber gaskets around the coil covers failed or were missing. Strange.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I think Alex's issue was just an isolated incident. The twin turbo cars don't have any extra holes that would allow more water in. In fact all the extra plumbing and the turbos themselves would tend to block MORE water.

Maybe the rubber gaskets around the coil covers failed or were missing. Strange.

+1
:confused