Input Wanted from GT Owners

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
We are in Atlanta, have had several opportunities to trade our SRT-10 Viper toward a GT. We're hoping that some members of the Forum have made the trade (or own both cars concurrently).

We would appreciate any personal impressions from those having owned both.

The current deal we are considering is for $95k trade difference, but the new car (black) does not have the wheel upgrade. It has all of the other options.

We have always purchased (and are buying) out of State. If there are excellent deals to be had in Atlanta, they have eluded us, but we are open to any new GT opportunities.

Thanks in advance for personal or private input.

Last edited:

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Do it. You will never look back.

The GT is the new Viper and that is the best deal I have ever heard on a GT. An SRT is worth maybe 50 or 55 on trade plus 95 equals a steal.

Do it!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Chad:

Thank you.

The Viper has only 550 miles on it. It is a garage queen, and I have not begun to grow tired of it.

What we are considering is getting the GT (trading the SRT-10) and then adding an ultra low mileage (Viper) GTS.

My racing days are long gone, and I merely want a unique car that is enjoyable to drive.

From all I have read, the GT is a much more streetable car. The Viper, as you know, tends to have a (wandering) mind of its own.

I wonder about the eventual resale implications of having many street miles on a GT when the eventual desire for something else arises.

Your input was appreciated.

- doc

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Street miles won't matter because you won't ever sell it. :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
AZGT:

I understand. I would think that the GT will likely be a permanent purchase for us. We may add another tradeable vehicle but are unlikely to sell/trade the GT. However, I have to accept that there is something else always around the corner...I would think that whatever lies ahead cannot bring with it the image of the race heritage.

When you get close to $175k with all taxes, you have to look at Ferrari and Lambo...even if you would rather not.

I am wondering how any of you feel about buying a GT with the standard wheels.

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I prefer the standard wheels but that's strickly a matter of personal taste however having watched this forum for some time there seem to be a fair number of people who prefer the standard wheels (unlike the McIntosh stereo which is definately perceived to be a liability by almost everyone).

If memory serves I think someone on this forum was recently looking to swap a set of factory upgrade wheels for standard wheels however I can't recall who this was. You may want to do a search and see if you can locate them and if they are still looking for such a swap.

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Thanks, Rob.

I know that it is horrible netiquette to ask questions that have been answered repeatedly, but may I ask what polarizes people so much regarding the McIntosh stereo? Sound quality or?

- doc

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have both right now and if you get a chance to drive it you will buy this car. One ride one sunday night absolutely changed my life forever. Within 5 days after that I bought it.

Don't get me wrong I love my viper to death but the GT is astounding to drive in so many ways. It's not something that one can describe to someone else. It needs to be experience to be understood.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
doc

I don't have the McIntosh stereo as thankfully it wasn't an option on the European cars or I probably would have ordered it as well. I therefore can't comment on the sound but I don't believe people are complaining about the sound at all. The complaints stem from the ridiculous gigantic sub-woofer mounted at shoulder height between the driver and passenger. It looks awful and must be in the way at times. This stereo system was quite an expensive option so every dealer seemed to order it when specifying their GTs. There seem to be very few cars without it.

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The Viper is primitive, tracks its own way on the streets and is not something that you can, or should, relax within while driving.

I hear/gather that the GT has incredible power on-tap but is a much more civilized car, more streetable and well-mannered.

You are fortunate to own both. At present this would be an either-or proposition for us.

I could see adding a Viper (in the form of a GTS) back in later.

This aforementioned deal on the Viper-GT trade is not in granite. There is another (cash) buyer on the scene. We shall see.

Thanks for your input. Your dyno numbers are enviable.

Let me ask another general question: Is there as yet a final tally on the number of GTs that will have been built at the time they halt production. (I was wondering if flagging sales has influenced that number that ultimately will come to market).

-doc

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

A gigantic subwoofer. That's grim. I can see why it would be a treasured deletion.

Interesting that ultimately many seem to prefer the stock wheels, not the large stereo and even prefer the absence of stripes.

I was approached by a dealer who listed his car on autotrader for $160k and kindly offered it to me for the cash price of $249k. Too much of that occurs.

Interesting about McIntosh. In my day, it was de riguer for stereo (as was Marantz). McIntosh still has a loyal following, but the company was sold many years ago. I suppose they needed something with a name impact like Levinson.

Thanks for the clarification. I gather you are not in the U.S.(?)

-doc

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
McIntosh

Doc

if you see the difference, you know why nobody wants that THING! The radio is really fine. I only took out the sub and replaced it with the standard glovebox (1700$ :ack ) and placed the amp behind the passenger seat. The sound is still excellent. McIntosh without sub - Best fit!

Desi

e4_1.jpg

10.jpg

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Desi:

$1700 to replace a subwoofer with a glovebox.

"GT tax"? (which I also refer to as "Ben Dover Tax") is based upon the precept that since I can charge it, they will pay it...then why not...

Nonetheless, sounds like a reasonable solution to a fugly factory decision.

Subwoofer in that position suggests that the manufacturer does not anticipate that GT owners will be a fan of jazz or The Blues. Oh well.

Learning a lot in my first day of inquiry...stock wheels are preferred by many, subwoofer is a GT Contaminate...

Likely there are other things I need to know.

Was riding around with the family and thinking about the Viper->GT swap and a Yellow Ferrari Spyder came around the corner and accelerated through the first three. Sounded like a hornet with hemmorhoids, but it was fast. The kids liked it.

-doc

P.S. Who is this "quiet" who bids on so many GTs on e-bay. It appears to be more than just shil bidding. What is that all about?

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
doc

Just one minor clarification. I would say "some" not "many" prefer the stock wheels. I think the vast majority of cars have the optional wheels so they are clearly preferred by most buyers.

I currently live in London but will be moving back to Boston this summer and bringing my GT back with me.

By the way you should buy the GT. It's an awsome car. If you spend some time on this forum you'll be amazed at to how many owners really love their cars.

Cheers,

Rob

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

Sorry, I was gathering that most had the wheel upgrade solely because the dealers ordered the cars fully optioned. I was getting the impression (likely erroneous) that there was a bias toward the standard wheel.

I gather that the people are very passionate about their GT.

I need to get up to speed with whatever aftermarket exists. I would like to know more about exhaust, pulley, and intercooler options.

Perhaps someone will want to swap me their upgrade wheels for my standard wheels if I move forward with the trade.

I should know a great deal more tomorrow. It would have been nice if Atlanta dealers had been interesting in the trade; I have bought cars carried on transporters...it is far preferrable to buy locally where possible. In this instance it is not.

Thanks again, Rob.

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
eshrink said:
Thanks, Rob.

I know that it is horrible netiquette to ask questions that have been answered repeatedly, but may I ask what polarizes people so much regarding the McIntosh stereo? Sound quality or?

- doc

The stereo is actually quite good. The problem, from my standpoint, is related to the following:
1) the subwoofer that comes with the upgraded McIntosth stereo protrudes into the cabin space between the driver and passenger seats. It blocks some of the view of the supercharger, if that matters to you.
2) the standard radio lacks this subwoofer and instead Ford inserts a very useful storage pocket in its place (remember this car has virtually no storage room).
Now, having said this it is very difficult to find a car without the McIntosh upgrade...I know of one (solid black) in Maryland at Sheehy Ford that the dealer wants 9k over sticker. I was able to buy a Tungsten for 1k below sticker and am just learning to live with the subwoofer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
57 05 Cars didn't have the Mac if it was an option. Not an option for Euro or Canada cars. The numbers will be similar in 06. Tick rate is like 96%. When my 06 gets built in the next week or two, it won't have it.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The sub isn't the prettiest or in the best location but if you look at or inside this car and its your focal point then I would imagine other eye problems may exist. :wink

I think it sounds good as well. Quite a bit better then the stock system thats in my viper.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
95+ percent (believe the number is between 97-99 pct) of the cars were ordered with the optional McIntosh stereo and optional light weight forged rims. The McIntosh stereo sounds great and the light weight rims are a real bonus (significant weight savings where it counts). If you have the money to purchase this car then you need not worry about a few dollars extra for the better equipment. After getting the car you will likely be spending a tad more money for the Trans Axle cooler + an exhaust system that eliminates the muffler. In total not much in comparison to base cost of the GT and well worth it when you consider the benefits made to the car.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hey Rob - you're moving back to Boston? Just in time to catch the Steely Dan show that's playing in that city - special guest... Michael McDonald!

Doc, I don't have the sub woofer, as I hardly listen to the radio or CD player it's not a major loss and perhaps even a small bonus!

Yes we're all very passionate about the GT here - it's been referred to many times as an 'enthusiasts' car. The shape of a thousand GT's was doodled on every school book in my youth - now I got one!! It's also a seriously competent sports car and does more than hold it's head up in the company of Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche.

I just wish it would stop raining in London! I'm told it's the wettest drout we've ever had. :biggrin