Inadequately researched article attempts to attack success of Ford GT

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
FLChris, you have a XJ220?

Steve-

No. I hope I didn't give that impression. The only cars on his list that I own are the Z8 and of course the GT. I have on occasion lusted for a nice Pantera and a Testarossa though.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
NEGATIVE MEDIA SELLS. Consider the simple title of this thread. Posted with good intent, no doubt, but in itself, further conveys negative impact.

For example, an alternative, yet more descriptive title could have been "Inadequately researched article attempts to attack success of Ford GT"

But, we are all attracted to this thread title, and of course, non-owners see the headline too. Hopefully everyone takes the time to read the content.

Always consider the messages that you read, and more importantly the messages that you convey, even unintentionally...

Of course, many of us owners already know the truth, and find the article mildly amusing. It will take more than a few articles to bring down something as strong and proven as this contemporary legend.

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Funny. The BMW Z8 is one of the few cars I continue to lust after, even with a FGT in my garage. The fact that he puts both on his list is pretty comical. :bs

Maybe his article will have an effect on the Z8 market. I can always hope...

When I bought my GT, the Z8 was #2 on my list of dream cars. If the questions regarding the shock tower deformation hadn't come out last year, there's a very good chance I would be driving Titanium Silver vice Quick Silver.

I haven't noticed any softening of the Z8 market in the last two years. Like the GT, I would be surprised to see Z8 prices drop any significant amount.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
...Always consider the messages that you read, and more importantly the messages that you convey, even unintentionally...

Good advice. :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Wow. I didn't expect anyone to actually change the thread title.

Thanks. I needed the ego boost today.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I haven't noticed any softening of the Z8 market in the last two years. Like the GT, I would be surprised to see Z8 prices drop any significant amount.

I drove a similarly engined e39 M5 for a number of years. Great engine.

I am amazed that the BMW Z8 keeps it's relatively high price, but yes, it is limited, and seems to be enjoyed by it's owners.

I rarely see them around, even here in Orange County, California.

Excerpted, for educational purporses, from a 2003 Motor Trend article:

Film hero James Bond and his action movie "The World Is Not Enough" brought worldwide acclaim to the Z8, and during the three years in which it was produced, it captivated around 5,700 customers worldwide. The open two-seater Z8, currently priced at $132,195, was popular as a collector's car, and now adorns the garages of numerous classic car aficionados.

At least three and a half times as many BMW M5s were produced at the Dingolfing factory: By the time production ceases, around 20,500 of these vehicles will have been manufactured and sold worldwide, making the M5, which was launched in the autumn of 1998, not only the first of its kind in the high-performance Sedan segment, but also the most successful, garnering an assortment of automotive awards over its lifetime.

As well as having similar sporting characteristics, the M5 and the Z8 have one other special thing in common: they both benefited from the same power unit. Their identical 5-liter, high-revving V-8 engine delivers 394 horsepower and 368 lb-ft of torque. When shifting through the six-speed manual gearbox quickly, the M5 accelerates from 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds. Being built almost entirely of aluminum, the slightly lighter Z8 does this classic sprint in a mere 4.7 seconds.

Consider yourself warned: if you're lusting after one of these vehicles, time and supplies are running out. Best hop over to your BMW to check on availability.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow. I didn't expect anyone to actually change the thread title.

Thanks. I needed the ego boost today.

:wink

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Evans = Bloody POME:frown

(Neilda - no offense to you who has clearly differentiated yourself and I respect:thumbsup )

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Wanker

In UK vernacular...he's a "Wanker" mate! :bs

I spent a miserable day driving my 'failed' FGT on Sunday and then put 600 tedious miles on my Z8 up to the BMW performance center in Greer, SC, yesterday. I've scheduled some shrink time for the end of the month at Roebling Road. Boy, I hope this works!

G. :biggrin

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Steve-

No. I hope I didn't give that impression. The only cars on his list that I own are the Z8 and of course the GT. I have on occasion lusted for a nice Pantera and a Testarossa though.

Nope, that was me. You said you could stand to live with the Pantera and Testarossa. I like the way the Bugatti looks, so ......... twist my arm. As far as a XJ220 - I stood behind one several years ago at B-J. I can tell you that when it started up, it stopped the crowd. Man did it sound good. If that was a V-6, it is one bad ass 6. Ghastly? Not the one I heard. I could live with it. In fact, Tom is free to send me any of those dreaded cars and punish me by making me drive it :thumbsup Bring it on Tom.

We all understand where his information comes from. But, when you write and perpetuate an error, it then becomes YOUR error. You are responsible for what you write. If it is wrong, well you should have done your homework.

In UK vernacular...he's a "Wanker" mate!

Isn't that one of them there German engines ?????????

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
I dropped him an email, he is out of the office till the 27th

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I dropped him an email, he is out of the office till the 27th
The 27th of which month? :confused

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
The 27th of which month? :confused

march

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Don't waste your time with these loser Brit car mag writers, they suffer from a common disease in Europe that if you are successful, then everyone should dislike you and criticise you. Very common scenario in business in European coutries, that is why in America you can succeed and everyone likes you. Rock on FGT, up your patootie Mr. Tom! :cheers

Kingveloce

GT Owner
May 14, 2006
London, England
Don't waste your time with these loser Brit car mag writers, they suffer from a common disease in Europe that if you are successful, then everyone should dislike you and criticise you. Very common scenario in business in European coutries, that is why in America you can succeed and everyone likes you. Rock on FGT, up your patootie Mr. Tom! :cheers

AtomicGT, you are in danger of falling into the same trap as MSN's Tom Evans by turning generalisations into 'facts'. I speak as a 'Brit car mag writer' who adores his GT... we are not all the same over here.

And, er, what's a patootie?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Kingdude, Chill. I am very glad to see you love your GT as do all of us, but a common business attitude in Europe is one of despising anyone who gets ahead in their job. A worker who gets a raise, a new house, a new car is not thought well of by co-workers, especially in continental Europe. Also I am sure Sir Evans has a little American Bashing in his dialogue, along with probably several other body parts that are little, too. So no worries here mate, generalizations are part of life (with a "z", not an "s", according to the Oxford Dictionary, http://www.askoxford.com/results/?v...h=generalization&branch=&textsearchtype=exact ).

A Patootie is what you are sitting on, my friend, to write this response. :cheers

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Tom
I must admit (unfortunately) that the direction of your statement is right! But it is rather enviousness than dislike and criticism, which is more virulent than mad cow disease over here :biggrin
Desi :cheers

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Well I can see why hes not keen on the FGT, he drives a PUKEGEOT!!!Now theres a sexy ride!!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
they suffer from a common disease in Europe that if you are successful, then everyone should dislike you and criticise you. Very common scenario in business in European coutries, that is why in America you can succeed and everyone likes you.

Gee, I think I see some of that here too - maybe the have and have not issue is the same world wide. I swear, though none of them would ever say it, some of my "friends" would love to see me fall flat on may face because of jealousy. Which of us has not run in to the "well, with all of your money ........ " type of comment (which of course is a matter of perspective since I don't have any:willy ).

Poor research is universal - the Brits or anyone else don't have the monopoly. I think there is just a natural tendency for most countries to believe their products are the best. Some times true, and naturally some times not. American cars are great, but it seems that the Japanese cars in the 80s helped them get there by upping the quality bar (OK, hate mail to fictitious@notreal.com).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(1) I swear, though none of them would ever say it, some of my "friends" would love to see me fall flat on may face because of jealousy.

(2) Which of us has not run in to the "well, with all of your money ........ " type of comment (which of course is a matter of perspective since I don't have any:willy ).

(1) If your assessment of these folks is correct, they ARN'T real "friends", AZ.

(1) The way I look at it, the intent of that comment depends on the way it's said ... in what context ... and who's saying it. It's pretty easy to tell when somebody's really just horsin' around, don't you think?

This ends today's class in "personal relations 401." Please hand in your assignments for today on your way out. And, don't forget the quiz on Monday...