In defense of the sub!

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
I have an admission to make, I like the sub in the mac system. Not because it sounds great (I have a 5000 watt home theater system and I know what "good" sounds like). Not because it looks great either (I agree that it is shaped after a box from a pair of cowboy boots).

I like it because it is one of those quirky things that make the GT a GT. We are all car guys here, think about some of the oddities that have shown up in cars in the past and make then endearing today.

The nice thing about it being quirky is that it does it in a small and unobtrusive way <<relative to the whole car>>. It is not like the oversized rear end on the previous model vette <<sorry>> or the 1000's of things that were weird on many other classics.

So there, you have it.. what do you think? :confused

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
It weird.

To me, it doesn't fit on a car that lacks TCS etc...

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
I hear you and your right but what you are saying just goes to support my point, it is one of those quirky things that make the car memorable :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I love it. it says this is a massive speaker.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
The subwoofer itself does not bother me...and I like the sound of the stereo system with it. My complaint is mostly functional. Without it, I would have a nice storage pocket and a better view of my supercharger. Of course, all of this can be done aftermarket...so it obviously does not bother me enough to change it.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I Couldn't Disagree More Completely!

The appearance of the sub is simply hideous. I've had my car just one month and the amp/sub assembly is already gone. In fact I removed it even before the OEM non-Mac replacement panel arrived (list price ~$1,700). The Mac sub/amp makes the car look ridiculous/cartoonish. What dope ever thought that up? Had they found a different home for the amp (which I'm working on BTW), the sub could have been housed in the same location only far more innocuously. Not to mention the fact that this obnoxious appendage partially obstructs ones view of the supercharger! Am I being clear?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ACRJoe said:
The appearance of the sub is simply hideous. I've had my car just one month and the amp/sub assembly is already gone. In fact I removed it even before the OEM non-Mac replacement panel arrived (list price ~$1,700). The Mac sub/amp makes the car look ridiculous/cartoonish. What dope ever thought that up? Had they found a different home for the amp (which I'm working on BTW), the sub could have been housed in the same location only far more innocuously. Not to mention the fact that this obnoxious appendage partially obstructs ones view of the supercharger! Am I being clear?

each to his own, I have zero plans to change mine. I spec'd my GT out.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The sub never really bothered me before. I admit it could have been enginered better, but creature comforts were last on the designers list of "Things to do."

I see you point GTx, and agree entirely. It's like a split window or a button shifter... it gives the GT personality, even if that personality is slightly schizophrenic.

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Right on bro!

I couldnt say it any better!! :thumbsup

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Fubar said:
The sub never really bothered me before. I admit it could have been enginered better, but creature comforts were last on the designers list of "Things to do."

I see you point GTx, and agree entirely. It's like a split window or a button shifter... it gives the GT personality, even if that personality is slightly schizophrenic.

Agree Totally!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least if anything.... this was an option...maybe someday to some
collectors / buyers maybe it will be a very sought after one...

Fubar,

Great color combo you have there :thumbsup

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
It's big and muscular like the car. I don't even think its quirky!!! When I look in my rearview mirror... I don't see it and when I look over my shoulder... All I see is Super charger... It has never bothered me.... :banana

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
tmstunts#1233 said:
It's big and muscular like the car. I don't even think its quirky!!! When I look in my rearview mirror... I don't see it and when I look over my shoulder... All I see is Super charger... It has never bothered me.... :banana

Agree!! It also makes me feel like someone else is in the car with me.....DOC?

I am glad that someone did this thread. For 6 months...everyone has been trashing the Sub.....and I never had a problem with it.....or Him...or Her. I have always thought it was kinda...KOOL.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just as an aside, when we were at the rally, the engineers were all pretty much in agreement about the odd sub, BUT, it was a woman who made the final decision about it. Also, don't discount Camillo in this either. Alot of the design things were his and had to be lived with. I consider the interior of my car as a work of art, just like the exterior. Extra storage, wow. Just how many suitcases does that equate to? Can't see the supercharger, get a nuclear reactor light, THEN you'll see the supercharger.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
lamboman said:
Agree!! It also makes me feel like someone else is in the car with me.....DOC?

I am glad that someone did this thread. For 6 months...everyone has been trashing the Sub.....and I never had a problem with it.....or Him...or Her. I have always thought it was kinda...KOOL.
Thanks lamboman! :thumbsup :cheers

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Regardless of how you feel about the SUB, it will never be considered a "unique" feature that adds value. The 1963 Corvette was the only one to have a split window for the entire "Stingray" run from 1963 to 1967 (and, obviously, only the coupes for '63, not the roadsters).

The SUB is in over 95 percent of the Ford GTs made. Even if 1,900 owners yank them out after purchase, it will remain the more common version of the GT.

(Sub-less and loving it).

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It is unique because no other car has it. The GT itself is limited and therefore more unique. In 1963 Corvette produced over 20,000 corvettes, 10,000+ were split window coups. There are only 4000 or so GT for '05 and '06 combined.

I think it was discussed in an earlier thread, but nothing will tell us about the "collectability" of these cars except time.

Also, I was just courious, where did you come up with:
ENZO BTR said:
The SUB is in over 95 percent of the Ford GTs made.

I am sure you are right. I would just like to see all the % on the GT and options.

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Anything that generates this much controversy and passion will always make it unique. I haven’t seen any posts about the row of toggle switches on the dash or the backlit a/c control, just the continued passion both for and against the sub. :eek

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
ENZO BTR said:
Regardless of how you feel about the SUB, it will never be considered a "unique" feature that adds value. The 1963 Corvette was the only one to have a split window for the entire "Stingray" run from 1963 to 1967 (and, obviously, only the coupes for '63, not the roadsters).

The SUB is in over 95 percent of the Ford GTs made. Even if 1,900 owners yank them out after purchase, it will remain the more common version of the GT.

(Sub-less and loving it).

Im Sorry ,

Was this thread about Vette's????? :thumbsdow

You may be right about the percentage of the car's having this option....

I can tell you however that the cars selling for "Big Money" at the Barrett Jackson are all "optioned cars" . Our GT's might not be selling or be that "desired" at this time for such auction but I can bet that as bad as I
wanted mine i can assure that future generations or generations to come
that it will be a for sure sought after car....

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Then & Now

Sorry guys but the GT isn't the only recent car with this center speaker set up.
The 97 & 98 Panoz AIV Roadster had it also [actually 2 of them between the seats]. Panoz did away with it for the 99 year [which is the year I have].
Now for the "saving grace" - if this all anyone has to "bitch" about in regards to the car, I would say it is prety much a trivial thing.
My GT has the center speaker. Do I wish it didn't? Yes, but I can & will live with it.
Kinda like good Scotch Wiskey, it becomes an aquired taste.
I just LOVE this car.​

Attachments

• 97 & 98 aiv speakers between seats.jpg
    97 & 98 aiv speakers between seats.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 88

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I seems that a lot of you like the sub. Does anyone have a car without the sub and would like to have one? Maybe I have one to sell.

Wiring in the Mac system will not be a piece of cake though it power system is integrated into the car and the necessary wires would have to be added.

BlackICE