IDA Exhaust Installed

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Someone noted :
AMB said:
The rear o2 sensor is located in the "CAT", not behind it !!!

## This is what I found (but like all internet stuff there is no guarentee of validity):

Oxygen sensors are typically located in the exhaust manifold and/or exhaust system. While earlier fuel injection systems used one or possibly two oxygen sensors, on-board diagnostics II (OBD-II) system emission regulations have warranted the use of multiple oxygen sensors on most vehicles. OBD-II vehicles typically have at least one oxygen sensor located ahead of the catalytic converter (upstream) and an additional sensor located just after the catalyst (downstream).

## The above comports with my recall from mid year Vipers that were converted back to side pipes but I must assume that Fords do not have the OBD System ? or is the 2nd sensor on the outelt aparture of the convertor ? Therefore, there are no sensors in the stock muffler ?

AMB

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The above comports with my recall from mid year Vipers that were converted back to side pipes but I must assume that Fords do not have the OBD System ? or is the 2nd sensor on the outelt aparture of the convertor ? Therefore, there are no sensors in the stock muffler ?

All cars sold in the US MUST adhere to OBD requirements. OBDII was mandated from model year 1996 onward to the foreseeable future. (No date yet predicted for OBDII replacement.)

As one part of the OBDII requirements, OEMs MUST implement a method to monitor catalytic efficiency and to notify the operator when the cat has reached end of life and/or there is a malfunction causing the cat to be ineffective.

As such, since 1996 (OBDII) OEMs will place an O2 sensor both upstream and downstream of the cat(s). The upstream O2 is the one principally used by the on-board ECU to detect air fuel ratios. Actually this is a misnomer since the O2 sensor is essentially binary - one voltage when above 14.7:1 and another when below. The ECU's job in closed-loop mode is to adjust a/f's such that this upstream ECU is keeps flipping on either side of 14.7:1.

But, I digress. The downstream O2 is also polled by the ECU which expects to see a difference between it and the upstream O2 which corresponds to the efficiency of the cat. When/if the cat loses efficiency and/or is removed, both O2's will essentially have the same behavior and a check engine light is generated.

The rear o2 sensor is located in the "CAT", not behind it !!!

Yep, the GT is fairly unique in that the "downstream" O2 is pretty much top dead center in the cat. I've never seen that before, but it obviously works and serves the same purpose.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool sound

I picked up my GT from dealer today with the Ida exhaust installed. It is a cool sound. I drive with other GTs & I rate the sound level inbetween the Ford off-road straight tube headers & the Borla muffler can. As far as performance I can't tell a difference. I like them though!

I'll send photos later. The alignment of the Ida exhaust is off compared to the exit holes in the bumper & body. I think part of it is that the stock cats don't seem equally positioned.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
kosupply & bony questions

Bony - my dealer is Harrold Ford in Sacramento. The owner Dave Hellinge is a true gear head & has a white '05 GT & may be adding an '06 Heritage to his collection. Only he drives the GTs. He baby sits every GT that comes in for service. He is the number one GT servce dealer in NorCal.

Kosupply - I think that heat dicolored ss pipes are cool. My past race cars & motorcycles had the blue colored pipes. It just seems, so race like.

Ed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ed Sims said:
Bony - my dealer is Harrold Ford in Sacramento. The owner Dave Hellinge is a true gear head & has a white '05 GT & may be adding an '06 Heritage to his collection. Only he drives the GTs. He baby sits every GT that comes in for service. He is the number one GT servce dealer in NorCal.

Kosupply - I think that heat dicolored ss pipes are cool. My past race cars & motorcycles had the blue colored pipes. It just seems, so race like.

Ed

Your lucky to have such a dealer. Bob Silva owner of Silva Ford seems to be such a dealer, have no clue about how 'mod oriented and mod friendly' he might be. Still have yet to bring mine in for warranty work or service. I was hoping to find a dealer in Fresno, we have 10+ GT's in town. Silva is in Chowchilla.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Ed-
So how did you install your exhaust if the alignment is off?
Were you able to complete the install?
Are the tips not flush with one another?

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Mine are pretty well centered...I would see if Bob will replace them..

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
exhaust tips not centered

It bolted right up with no problem; although, we were told everything for installation was included. There were no gaskets in the kit. The right exhaust tip exits the bumper in the center of the exit hole but the left tip is slightly off center towards the bottom of the hole. It could be the cats aren't lined up the same on both sides. I'll post a photo later.

The sound is very cool. It is reminiscent of the GT40.

Ed

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
BTW Bob is now selling a less expensive version. Not all the goodies included.
See his website. www.idaautomotive.com

Dave

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Hhmm....the $2600.00 exhaust could not be any more simple.....he probably realizes it will be copied at a much lower price and this is the same exhaust....don't be surprised to see the one I bought disappear from his site

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
KO Supply:

Please clarify: you feel that he will modify his current design and/or will not be selling the design that you own (?).

I was concerned about the post where it indicated that the pipes were not exiting (aesthetics) evenly. This is a problem people reported with the Corsa Track exhaust on the Viper SRT-10. Ours was installed by a dealer who had done many, and he knew how to compensate for that...so we came out okay.

I would like something like the Ida Exhaust (gathering that the Borla is quite loud and does not address heat dissipation), but would like to hear from more people with the system installed. A gutsy sound (even if not loud) is (to us) better than a loud and raucous sound.

- doc

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
my IDA exhaust fits the holes perfectly. This is the only one I have seen. I would think they would replace it if it was off...If you go to IDA, they show an economy exhaust....I bet it is the same one.....they probably realize someone will copy it at a much cheaper price. It is a very simple design..

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Couple of questions... I'm interested in the Ida exhaust solely for temp reduction in the engine bay. Don't much care whether it is show chrome etc.
1) Has anyone considered Jet-hot coating the Ida exhaust to flow even more heat out the back of the car? Ida claims 20 degrees decrease in engine temps on the dash guage. He also claims that lost horsepower, from heat soak, is regained (the 60 HP shift on the dyno pulls). I'm told Jet-hot can be applied in a matte or more polished finish to suit the eye. I've even considered coating the headers up to the cats.
2) What effect does an exhaust change have on the O2 sensor readings upstream at the cats? If exhaust flow is increased, will this affect the ECU, etc.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Excellent and very specific questions.

- doc