IDA Exhaust Installed

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
I finished my installation of the IDA Exhaust on Sunday and I've included a few pictures as requested by some Forum Members. I did inform Bob that I wanted to post the pictures and he had no problem with the posting.

First: The install was pretty straight-forward and the installation adjustments in the system have sufficient flexibility to allow for excellent centering and allignment. Anyone planning a self install can P.M. me with specific questions. Us psychologist types are not known for being great mechanics and I found the procedures pretty intuitive. (My most ambitious project to date was recently installing a twin screw super charger on my 1998 Viper RT/10.

Second: I know that sound quality is a subjective thing, but the IDA Exhaust note brought a big grin to my face. It is outstanding! I will try to post a sound clip of stock versus modified once I learn how to do it. Would appreciate if someone can P.M. me their phone number so I can ask questions about posting a video clip.

Third: I note a number of comments about the price of the exhaust. At $2,600, it initially did seem pricey to me and I debated for awhile whether or not to do it. However, I figured that I would be paying a comparable price for the Borla Exhaust without the attendent benefits of smaller size (less heat sink) and increased ventilation. I did talk with Stainless Works and got the impression that their pricing would be less, but that it is not yet a finished product. I guess car sound has always been important to me and I was willing to pay what I call the "early adopter tax" for the benefits of a huge grin. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, the change from stock to modified is "astonishing".

Enjoy the ride,
Larry

Attachments

• GT Web1.jpg
    GT Web1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 385
  • GT Web 3.jpg
    GT Web 3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 384
  • GT Web 4.jpg
    GT Web 4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 376
  • GT Web  2.jpg
    GT Web 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 372

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
A Few More Pics

A few more pics of the exhaust installed.

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 349
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 343
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 348
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 354

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice job Larry. Sounds like it was worth it! But is that the whole thing? :confused

If you have a video clip of it, upload it to a site like YouTube. You do it just like attaching a file to an email.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
PRDATR,

Thanks for posting this and nice work on the install. I’m very interesting in getting the Ida system myself and it’s great to get another endorsement on the product.

Since you mentioned that you’re a psychologist I was hoping that I could book some time with you to sort out my numerous problems. However, since I have a phobia of couches, perhaps we could do this in an environment which I would find more relaxing? I know you could counsel me while we install a Bob Ida exhaust system on my car! Not only would we sort out my problems but I would gain a sense of achievement in the completion of the great new sound for my GT! How is the rest of your week looking?

Rob

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Bob called to tell mine is done

If i was going to do just the exhust,i would have done it my self too.But he did a lot more.A few more twekes and final dyno runs we are looking in the sixes.let you all know thur.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
DBK said:
Nice job Larry. Sounds like it was worth it! But is that the whole thing? :confused

If you have a video clip of it, upload it to a site like YouTube. You do it just like attaching a file to an email.

Thanks for the posting info DBK. It may be the weekend before I have time to post the film clips. :thumbsup

In answer to your question, it is the whole thing. The stock exhaust essentially connects the cats with the tailpipes. The Ida system takes the same route as the stock and uses small internal baffles. I asked Bob to use fewer internal baffles on my exhaust as I like a louder sound. P.M. or call me if you have further questions.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
You sure don't get much for $2,600! A couple of nice looking, but short pipes with flanges on them. Oh well.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Pricy, yes, but you haver to admit, it's a much better deal than the factory prices for any of the GT upgrades.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Did the same thing With baffels

Bob said it sounds deeper and loud.When he picked up the car i started one of the vipers for him,so he knows i dont mind loud.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Kirby Vieira said:
Pricy, yes, but you haver to admit, it's a much better deal than the factory prices for any of the GT upgrades.

Hi Kirby,

I agree, that was part of my logic in the purchase. The other part is that I was tired of the letdown when people would wait around for me to fire it up. Hence the early adopter decision.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ida exhaust

I just took my GT in today to have the Ida exhaust, Accufab throttle body & inlet boot stiffner, clear body shield & Ford trans oil cooler installed. Next will be the shocks or shock spring adjusters.

I feel the cost of the Ida exhaust is within reason since they are a limited, custom run. You are not only paying for the hardware but the R&D also (throw in advertising, etc). If they were making 1000 of them I would expect the cost to come down but if he sells 100 of them I would be surprised.

Thanks Larry for posting the photos. On Thursday I'll know how it sounds myself.

Ed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ed, who is doing the install?

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
I believe there is some stipulation about commenting on sellers prices so I will not do so.

However , I would seriously question the usage of "custom" as the item appears to be based on commercially available bends that have been welded up to form the product

That is the same sort of product that Brutoni made for Diablos using 4 glasspacks and simiar commercially available bends and that I posted about previously

I will likely make my own re-exhaust but believe an enforcement tolerant sound could be achieved by using short glasspacks which could be installed in the system by crisscrossing the travel paths (ie, drivers side goes out the passengers). I suspect that this could be made for $200-$300 less chrome or ceramic coating.

One other issue- isnt the system supposed to have an oxygen sensor that has to come after the cats ? I seem to recall that this placement was needed (and I do not see it) but I could be mistaken. Last issue-- does the decrease in backpressure effect the engine management system ?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Nice exhaust, no doubt about it, but it will be interesting how many people opt for it after similar systems are released for sub $1000. For that price you could get custom headers made for most V8s which takes substantially more time, materials, and R&D. Now if the exhaust was priced in the $1k range, then I bet no competitors would have jumped in.
To each his own....

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I'd probably pay a grand for it, but even that would seem high to me. I'm sure a skilled fabricator could whip that up in a few hours, and after that it's just repetition.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Exhaust

Greetings folks,
The Easter Bunny brought my GT in a big Truck:
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Delivery.jpg
and I have been following the discussions on this forum since. It has been a great place to see what others are doing or having difficulty with. I personally find my exhaust sound kind of wimpy. I have not been into the performance aspects yet. I think the Borla system is probably the answer for the best performance, but I have to live in the neighborhood even though Mr. Rogers died. I agree that $5000 to put into some mass- produced tubing is a bit steep. But you have to consider working with stainless is not easy, and Ford has a lot of overhead. I built this toy
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Other.jpg
back in 1978 after learning turbo-charging from AK Miller. So exhaust pipe and I go way back. I’m prototyping a Cat Back exhaust to suit me and would be interested to hear if anyone else is interested. It will have 4 X 5 inch oval exit pipes. The picture shows a round pipe I’m cutting and getting ready to smash. It will be open for performance but accept muffler inserts when I want to go to the grocery store.
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Exit.jpg
Here is an input look. A heavy-duty stainless bracket will hold this thing in the back of the car. I don’t want it flopping around.
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Input.jpg
It will have a more Manly look and sound. Sort of the Tool Time approach to exhaust.
http://64.62.242.228/GT/Manly.jpg
I’m still hacking away and rigging some tooling to get it finished. A couple more weeks and I should be ready for the dyno to get a before and after comparison. Drop an email to donbeach@ij.net and I’ll send you info on the results.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
ED....I went to the track today and after 10 laps the IDA exhaust has turned blue and gold!! How about yours ??

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Dr. Robert Harms

The rear o2 sensor is located in the "CAT", not behind it !!!

AMB

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
kosupply said:
ED....I went to the track today and after 10 laps the IDA exhaust has turned blue and gold!! How about yours ??

Yes, mine has a slight gold tint on it's surface. This is to be expected.

Oxide%20color.gif

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Stainless always changes color. I actually dig it. Blue means it got pretty hot. Wait till it turns Purple! :biggrin