I have become a GT-Menace to myself and others....

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
The wife is probably about to throw me out of the house :frown

Neilda is going to block my phone and cell numbers :ack

Even my 3-year old daughter is getting sick of me showing her pictures of the GT in different colours and saying, "which one? which one?!?" :willy

Just when I think I know what colour to buy, the dealer decides to try and make the car I've ruled out more attractive... which sends the mental-cogs moving again!

I'm having trouble sleeping, I'm having trouble thinking straight...

Midnight, Black II or Heritage?

Heritage, Midnight or Black?

Black, Heritage or Midnight???.... and so on and so on...

Someone put me out of my self inflicted misery... I am a mess and a danger to the sanity of others :biggrin

At least if the wife throws me out I won't have a garage, so won't have to make a choice (now that is glass half full thinking!) :wink

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
nomis said:
Just when I think I know what colour to buy, the dealer decides to try and make the car I've ruled out more attractive... which sends the mental-cogs moving again!

I'm having trouble sleeping, I'm having trouble thinking straight...

Midnight, Black II or Heritage?

Heritage, Midnight or Black?

Black, Heritage or Midnight???.... and so on and so on...

Someone put me out of my self inflicted misery... I am a mess and a danger to the sanity of others :biggrin
Yeah, when I first started thinking about the GT, I wanted only a solid black GT with the red brake calipers and no McIntosh. But over a period of 3-4 months, I started liking all of the colors, including the Heritage. And I finally came to the conclusion that, if possible, I would buy locally and could be happy with most any color. So, then it bacame more about the deal. I found a black one like the one I originally wanted...but the dealer wanted 10K over sticker, and this dealer was in Maryland. A local dealer (2.5 miles from my home) had a Tungsten Grey that he was willing to part with 1k below sticker. This dealer has gone out of his way to treat me well...offered to let me store my vehicle in his dealership while I am having my garage renovated. So, if it were me, I would try to buy locally and get the best deal possible...color would be less important to me. IMO

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
The problem with the 'local' aspect is that we're in England and thus local is relative because all 'dealers' have to import the cars and have either bought direct, via a Ford dealership in the USA, or through a broker.

I have been speaking with two dealers in the UK - both have been excellent and in fairness, there's not a lot between them in terms of who would be the 'better' person to deal with (I'd sit down and have a beer with either... very decent guys).

The problem stems for not being able to see cars on the ground and in the metal.

Colour is a very personal thing and while I feel the GT suits all the colours, I have my favourites and the logic has gone a little like this (and any and all opinions are welcome when it comes to calling this logic into question! :wink )

I have seen 3 colours in the metal - Neil's red GT, a Heritage and a Tungsten car.

Before seeing these, my choice was Black with White/Grey stripes.

Red I ruled out because it's just not 'me' and I always hear the words of an ex-policeman ringing in my ears, "yep, we used to call red cars 'Arrest-Me-Red'" :lol

Tungsten is a no-no because I have a personal embargo against all Grey/Silver tone cars as my last 5 have been in one or the other shades of this colour spectrum!... so I need a change; painful or not!

After seeing the Heritage - and thinking about it, because my first opinion was 'Woah! Could you drive that on the road and not feel a little self conscious?" - was that the Heritage held a lot of innate qualities that I like about the GT. 'Heritage' obviously, race pedigree, history, 1960's/70's colours and wow-factor.

So I went back to look at the Heritage car and thought, yes, that's the one and started to discuss price on a Friday. I used the weekend to think about it and found that the longer I was away from the Heritage, the more the thoughts of, "could I drive this and not feel like I was trying to be Steve McQueen at LeMans" crept in. And when that happened, I started to lean toward Black (my first choice) or Midnight (the colour my wife favours).

Then step forward the 2nd issue - every time the gravitational pull of the Heritage car weakens both UK dealers call and offer me a more keen price on the ones that they have... and the cycle starts all over again.

I guess I'm worried the Heritage may make me feel like I can't drive it certain days because of it's paint work and it's inherently 'loud' nature.... hence a black/blue car would be more suitable. However, I'm equally worried that the Heritage will sit there and haunt me if I follow a less extrovert route. "You could have had me but you were a chicken..." :ack

I do apologize for this insane twittering but I do hope you guys can remember this process and perhaps how difficult it was for you...

(on a positive note, I've given up looking for a car without MacIntosh! So that’s one less thing to debate… :biggrin )

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Nomis:

You have made your color choice - black.

Good choice and know you will enjoy it.

- doc

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
eshrink said:
Nomis:

You have made your color choice - black.

Good choice and know you will enjoy it.

- doc

I second that :thumbsup

Sounds like you have made your choice of the black or the blue. The blue is dark enough that it is an OK substitute for the black. You would be happy with either. Naturally, I prefer the white - wait no, the black - no the yellow ............. :willy

Your logic Heritage suggests in the long run you might not enjoy it quit so much. If you buy the dark one and then feel you missed out on the Heritage, when you drive just wrap youself in a neon / dayglo sign that says "I OWN A GT" - you can have the same effect (ok, send the hate mail to biteme@falseaddress.com). :biggrin

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
1. You are fascinated by the Heritage, but you know that you really do not want it. Occasionally, you want-to-want it...even sometimes wishing you were a person who would drive it, but it is not you

2. ...and with regard to blue? No, you do not want that either. Blue, to you, is the compromise of black...you like black...you think it is meaner looking, sinister...you want black.

3. There really is no struggle. You simply want to make the best possible decision...you are convincing yourself that there is a decision that is better than others when, all along, you just want the black car.

4. The 2007 comes in metallic peach pearl with the long awaiting 427.

Back to reality...the black car beckons.

- doc

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
This thread cracks me up. For me, color was a no-brainer... black is always my last choice but I'm in (it's a dry heat) Arizona - combine desert dust with scorching temps... need I say more? I saw the Heritage; I knew at once that was the color for me. That fast, that simple.

That said, Nomis, you keep referring to black, and you say it was your first choice; blue was your wife's; they are close enough that the options may be the deciding factor. It sounds like the Heritage has some pull for you, but if you're waffling about it because of how you'll feel driving it, or what others may think when they see it, that's not the color choice for you. And no matter how you slice it, black, blue, or other, the thrill of the car -whether looking at it in your garage, or enjoying it on the road - trumps all else. Let us know what you finally get!
Mrs. Blue Moose

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
eshrink said:
1. You are fascinated by the Heritage, but you know that you really do not want it. Occasionally, you want-to-want it...even sometimes wishing you were a person who would drive it, but it is not you

2. ...and with regard to blue? No, you do not want that either. Blue, to you, is the compromise of black...you like black...you think it is meaner looking, sinister...you want black.

3. There really is no struggle. You simply want to make the best possible decision...you are convincing yourself that there is a decision that is better than others when, all along, you just want the black car.- doc

OK. I gave him the $20.00 answer - you gave him the $150.00 one.

Black it is, though availabilty may still be the driving factor. :banana

Besides, don't forget that the Heritage paint is an expensive upgrade. Black should be (well, maybe not "over there") cheaper - if there is such a word for the GT.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
YOU WILL BUY A BLACK GT... and you WILL LOVE IT!

Hist_Rasputin.jpg

...you guys crack me up!

Yellow, Red, Silver/Tungsten and White are not in the running!

The other 3 are still very much in the race :wink

I am heading over to look at the Heritage again on Tuesday - which is a physical car in the UK - and if I'm still not 100%, then I'll put it into the "not for me" group.

If it does end as a no-go, it will be down to what the dealer can find for me in terms of Black or Midnight. My understanding is that some colours are now thin on the ground , so if the dealer finds a car in Midnight or Black, with wheels and Stripes, I'll take either (and if it has calipers and Mac, then so be it... not bothered either way with respect to the calipers and in terms of the Mac, would rather not but it may be a case of beggers can't be choosers...)

The other aspect... and this is a UK specific issue. I'd, ideally, like my car to go through UK SVA with Roush (as I feel this will benefit resale and kudos of the car long term (as Roush did all the 101 cars and service all GT's in the UK as the recognised service centre). The Heritage car was NOT done by them - not a massive issue but just a 'nice-to-have' - and again another variable to throw into the mix.

Any new car brought in, I would have done by Roush

Thanks again for all direction. :thumbsup

I did do a search on colour to see if there was a thread where all the colours were shown in pictures...but couldn't find one. Just a thought but it may be a great idea to start one - people could link to their photos in their galleries!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Now that you have selected your color (black....which is, in fact, the presence of all colors concurrently), be absolutely certain that you go over the option list.

From personal experience, I would recommend the V8 engine, the CHDO (cup holder delete option) the A-Pillar Obstruction Option, the This Car Hates Short and Tall People Delete and while you may think it excessive, go ahead and order four tires.

If for any reason, this does not work out, then get yellow/black.

Blue is a painfully boring color, and I would never personally consider it.

- doc

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Do you know if they offer it with an auto-box? :biggrin

...and I'm hoping the cup holders are designed to take the 10-litre Super-Super Big Gulps that you guys can buy at 7-11 :wink

And yes, Black is excess of colour, white absence... now what rhymes with orange?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Conundrum rhymes with orange, but I do not know what it means. I think it has something to do with contraception.

I think that what you will like most about your new black GT is the toaster oven and rotisserie that you can see in your back window. You will soon note that it is the only think you can see.

Here's a question that no one has addressed...why do they make the calipers in grey? I suppose that there are people who feel red calipers are intrusive. My calipers are grey...bummer.

Your black car will have extra detailing requirements, and you will need to wash it daily, wax it every other day, and use detail spray at intersections.

Black is especially comfy on sunny days. If you live in Philadelphia, this will truly be an issue.

Post photos when you get the car. A GT, right?

- doc

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
nomis said:
I did do a search on colour to see if there was a thread where all the colours were shown in pictures...but couldn't find one. Just a thought but it may be a great idea to start one - people could link to their photos in their galleries!

Here it is

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/colorselector.asp

Another option

http://www.fordgt.net/gt_color.html

Make sure you order one with the heating element on the back window over the engine. :biggrin

BTW - eShrink - I have the gray calipers on my white - look OK. Black would have been fine - blue would have been nice to match the stripes. The grays do look good on the Tungsten and Quicksilver.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nomis, it's obvious that you need a RED car. ALL of the Ford PR has been with the RED car. It doesn't show dirt. The fact that Neilda has one should not make you feel it is not exclusive! You can get a better deal on a RED car. Enough subliminal message?

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
Nomis, if you want to look at a physical black car before you choose, mine's a black with stripes, feel free to pop up. It's a great colour, and has the kudos of being the same colour as the '66 winning car, as driven by Chris Amos and Bruce McLaren. Of course, that presumes that mos people give a toss!

The heritage looks a great car, so you'll be pleased whatever you choose.

BTW now we're out of the football, I can take the England flag off mine. It has caused a few funny looks over the last few weeks :willy

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nomis,

Being I obviously am coming from purely non-bias point of view, BUY THE HERITAGE!!

It grows on you [and others too], trust me.

Regardless of your choice, YOU WILL ENJOY THE RIDE!!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The attention that the Heritage receives must be alarming. We simply went out for a short cruise this morning and were swarmed by cell phone cameras and questions. In a Heritage, we likely would have been kidnapped. The Heritage is a sure cure for A.D.D. (admiration deficit disorder).

- doc

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Doc,

It actually just blends in with the scenery here in Texas. Ya know, we are a rather subdued lot of folks down here.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
You know, Spirit, the Heritage truly does fit with Texas (or at least our concept of it). You make a good point.

- doc

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Compulsive Completion

Compulsive Completion . . . was that the term eshrink? An excellent thread elsewhere on this forum and probaby a few thousand bucks worth of free therapy! That's why I bought my GT. It had nothing to do with what anyone else thinks. I love cars, racing, mechanical engineering & technology, & racing history! But, realizing thatI couldn't (& shouldn't) own everything, I kept asking, "What's the ONE quintessential sports/exotic/racing car?" When the GT made that obvious, I had to eventualy ask, "If I'm gonna spend that much money, what's the quintessential paint/color scheme?" Might as well go all the way, I figured. Gotta COMPLETE the compulsion! I'd rather have *less* attention when out with the GT, but I had to buy the most satisfying TO ME. Different people have different reasons for doing what they do, but if it's Compulsive Completion you're after, the Heritage GT did it for me. I'm cured!!!