Holman Moody GT 40 Colors

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Maybe there is someone out there with a damaged GT that is going in for paint, or Ford has a mule or two in the "garage" that they would consider painting Holman-Moody metallic bronze and pink? The price of that car would definitely go up. !

conundrum

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2007
Kentucky
interesting color there. it almost looks like a cross between copper and brass. i guess thats what bronze is. but something about it looks a little bit different than your standard bronze color. back in the day (dale jr. pun, lol) my sis had a 1978 datsun 280-Z that was that color. seems to me it was called mettalic bronze :shrug

I had a 280 Z that color...not by choice it was the only one available. It surprised me but after a time I almost began to like it.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I suspect that if Ford produced the Holman-Moody colors on a car, Holman-Moody would have complained sufficiently to make it not worth it?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Apparently it was described by Holman-Moody as "Gold" Some great images on this web site. I will try and contact them to find out who added the pink colors.

http://www.holmanmoody.com

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
While we are on the topic of Holman-Moody from Wikipedia:

"John Holman was hired in 1952 by Clay Smith and Bill Stroppe to drive their parts truck to each leg of the 1952 Mexican Road Race (later called the Baja 1000), and to stay ahead of the racing team. The team won the race, and they hired Holman as a full-time mechanic and parts man after the race to work in their Long Beach, California shop. Holman worked for the team until 1956, when Ford Motor Company hired him to run their factory team shop at Charlotte, North Carolina. Ralph Moody won four NASCAR races in 1956. He raced the first third of 1957, until Ford and the other American automobile manufacturers pulled out of racing.

They formed a partnership after the American Manufacturers' Association banned Ford's factory participation in stockcar racing in June 1957. The move unemployed both men. They decided to pool their resources, and formed Holman-Moody. Moody immediately took out a loan against an airplane that he owned, and with Holman paid $12,000 to buy the shop and equipment that had been Ford's Charlotte-based racing operation [3] Holman Moody Fords won their first two races in 1957.

Holman Moody entered two cars in the final two races at the Daytona Beach Road Course in 1958. The cars were raced by Curtis Turner and Joe Weatherly. The cars finished first and third in one race, and second and fourth in the second. The team became more focused on building cars for other teams as the season went on. Ford slowly began increasing support for racing as the season went on. Ford stopped the assembly line to allow Holman Moody to buy bare bodies and parts for construction of 1959 Thunderbirds. The cars came without unneeded parts. Turner won races at Champion Speedway, Lakewood Speedway, and the Southern States Fairgrounds.

Holman Moody's car driven by John Beauchamp finished in a dead heat with Lee Petty at the first race at the new Daytona International Speedway. The 1959 Daytona 500 win was awarded to Petty after three days.

Holman Moody enters the "Worlds fastest Falcon" in the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1962. The car was driven by Marvin Panch and Jocko Maggiacomo. Holman Moody also prepared a small-block AC Cobra, driven by Augie Pabst.

Ironically, Holman-Moody bought out Bill Stroppe in 1965 and the Long Beach facility at 2190 Temple Ave. became Holman-Moody-Stroppe. They built around 50 race cars a year until Moody sold his portion of the company after the 1972 season. [4] They had won 96 NASCAR Grand National races. Holman died in 1975 after suffering a heart attack while testing an intercooler. The team was owned by a trust for several years, until Lee Holman took over the operations in 1978.

The Charlotte airport gave notice that it intended to condemn the Holman Moody building in 1982 so they could construct an additional runway. The company sold off all of its equipment, and Lee Holman bought most of it. Holman Automotive continued the building of racecars, engine building for the #21 Wood Brothers NASCAR team, and grinding cams for several NASCAR teams.

[edit] Team highlights
Holman Moody-built Fords won 48 of 55 NASCAR Grand National (now NEXTEL Cup) Races in 1965, a record that has never been broken.[1] David Pearson won the 1968 and 1969 NASCAR championships. Dan Gurney won five races at Riverside International Raceway. Pearson drove a Wood Brothers Ford to victory in the 1976 Daytona 500. In 1966 Holman Moody's Ford GT40 Mark II's finished 1-2-3 at the 24 Hours of Daytona and at the 12 Hours of Sebring. Their 1-2-3 finish at 24 Hours of Le Mans is one of the most famous victories of all-time.[1] Fred Lorenzen was one of the nation's highest paid athletes at $122,558 while driving a Holman Moody car in 1963.[1]

[edit] Awards
Holman Moody was inducted in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 2005 in the "at-large" category.[1]

[edit] Innovations
Holman Moody had a lasting effect on all forms of auto racing. Their innovations include fuel cells, full-floater rear axle, on-board fire systems, quick change disk brakes, square tube frames, tube shocks. The 1966 Holman Moody Ford Fairlane was the basis for NASCAR racecars until NASCAR redesigned their car as the Car of Tomorrow.[1]

[edit] Notable drivers
Holman Moody had many notable drivers, including:

Bobby Allison
Donnie Allison
Mario Andretti
John Beauchamp
Ronnie Bucknum
Jim Clark
Mark Donohue
A. J. Foyt
Dan Gurney
Walt Hansgen
Dick Hutcherson
Ned Jarrett
Bobby Johns
Junior Johnson
Parnelli Jones
Bo Ljungfeldt
Fred Lorenzen
Tiny Lund
Augie Pabst
Benny Parsons
Marvin Panch
David Pearson
Richard Petty
Peter Revson
Fireball Roberts
Wendell Scott
Nelson Stacy
Curtis Turner
Al Unser
Bobby Unser
Joe Weatherly
Cale Yarborough
"

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, nothing like going to the source for information. I went ot the Holman Moody web site, sent and email to Lee Holman and this is his reply on the use of Pink on the Holman Moody Gold GT40 MkII.

Quote:

"Hello, The Gold on the Holman Moody Mark II, was a Ford color for
that year 1966, the dayglow paint was added at Daytona when we could
not see what car was coming into the pits. I had a dayglow pit board
that used black light and the drivers could see them very well.
I
went to the local hardware stores and bought all the dayglow paint
they had and we painted the nose of each of the cars with the car we
had in our hand. We then took our big black light from the magnaflux
testing machine and mounted it up on a pole at the start of pit
road. We could then see which Mark II was on pit road."

From Lee Holman
:banana

Very cool piece of historical information!

Last edited:

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
What great info!! Good job, Atomic.:cheers

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very cool, I just love stuff like that!.:thumbsup Back then it was all about "function over style", unlike todays "style over substance".

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
The Gold on the Holman Moody Mark II, was a Ford color for
that year 1966, the dayglow paint was added at Daytona when we could
not see what car was coming into the pits.

Kinda makes me like the pink a little more :thumbsup

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Pink ROCKS, hows about Tungsten and Pink? SteveA, red and pink no way!

Midnight Blue???. Let's see if George, of Midnite Blu would go for it? I am sure his wife would if she new the history behind it?

Last edited: