Holman Moody GT 40 Colors

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone know why Ford did not produce a color combination of the 1966 Holman - Moody GT40 that took 3rd place at Le Mans? Colors were bronze/red-pink stripes over the front wheel wells. Seems like Ford covered most all of the other colors.

Attachments

• HM GT40 Lemans.jpg
    HM GT40 Lemans.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,660
Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
July 05, Ford Dealership in the San Fernando Valley, Ca had a heritage color professionally painted GT, which I believe had had the panels removed and painted the heritage colors and then reassembled. It was the first heritage painted GT on the block. Wonder what the market would be for a Holman-Moody painted GT today? One of a kind color pattern? Any gutsy GT owners got the urge? Bony, 'bout ready for the bonymobile to get a new paint job? :thumbsup

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
One look and I can understand why. My opinion.:cheers

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I agree with Kave ... it was not replicated because it's quite U G L Y. The John Wyer Team Gulf livery, which became the '06 FGT Heritage, is quite striking and very sharp looking with colors and a stripe scheme that complement each other. Not this '66 third place car sporting pink lipstick on dark bronze paint ... whew! usmcfred

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Color

2 Ug lee 4 me!

G.

H

HHGT

When some one was inspired to pick these two colors, one must have been fasinated by the proximity of PINK & BROWN :rofl .

In my opinion, there is no logic in picking these two colors, unless one is color blind :ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
When some one was inspired to pick these two colors, one must have been fasinated by the proximity of PINK & BROWN :rofl .

In my opinion, there is no logic in picking these two colors, unless one is color blind :ack

I will moderate myself and not take this come on...:lol

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
interesting color there. it almost looks like a cross between copper and brass. i guess thats what bronze is. but something about it looks a little bit different than your standard bronze color. back in the day (dale jr. pun, lol) my sis had a 1978 datsun 280-Z that was that color. seems to me it was called mettalic bronze :shrug

Last edited:

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Somethings were made to stay in the sixties.:frown

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
:bored :ack Come on guys, lets get real. If Ford actually made a GT in this color as a limited edition (say 50-100). You and others (including me) would be scrapping it out to get one! Regardless of the fact that it has the color "pink" on it!

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Would've looked better if they didn't add the pink at all.

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I believe R Harris is correct. If there were only 50 of these, and the color was just right, they would be over $200K, and when you showed up you would stick it to everyone else! On the 1966 Le Mans race photos it doesn't look that bad. We need some GT owner with Big Kahones, to take on the challenge, re-paint his GT and then we can really see what it would look like. :thumbsup

bony :cheers

Attachments

• 3rd place holman-moody GT40.jpg
    3rd place holman-moody GT40.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Would've looked better if they didn't add the pink at all.

Hold ON men !!!! We all like pink ! Don't we ?:biggrin :lol

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Hold men !!!! We all like pink ! Don't we ?:biggrin :lol

I mean Bronze is an overall great color on the Ford GT but the two in the pink and one in the brown paintjob isn't working for me.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't know, some use to say the Heritage didn't look good in pictures but when you saw one up close it blew you away. Simply stunning, I think the same would happen with the Holman-Moody colors. You could always paint over the pink panels, but I would wager it would ROCK ! :banana

Maybe DBK or GT Joey can inquire of Camillo Pardo or Fred Goodnow if anyone actually considered painting the Holman-Moody GT40 colors. Would be an interesting piece of GT Trivia? Or even better, if someone actually knows the history behind the choice of these colors by Holman-Moody? Who was responsible for putting pink on a GT40???

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I had a poster of this car on my wall when I was 10. I liked it then and still do.
My wife saw a picture of the Gulf car when Ford first released it a year or so back. She couldn't believe someone would buy a car "baby sh-t blue and orange". I then made her listen to the Gulf story (and I mean made, geeze she's tired of me talking about this car) and now she gets it and even likes it. I think the same would be true for most people and this cars color.

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I have always thought the GT should have had the bronze / gold color (without the pink) as an option. I like that color on the car.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I mean Bronze is an overall great color on the Ford GT but the two in the pink and one in the brown paintjob isn't working for me.

Threeeee pink parts and the rest in bronze has always been my FAVORITE colors!!!!!!!!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Threeeee pink parts and the rest in bronze has always been my FAVORITE colors!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, nothing like a gal bronzing in the sun.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
GULFGT

You promised more icon images, and as to date, have not produced. Metallic bronze, pink and orange is a good combination. :cheers

Last edited: