HELP Needed on Stalling problem~~

Phil

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Dear All,

I have just discovered a stalling problem in the last 2 weeks on my FGT. When driving at normal speed, the car will just stall all of a sudden while the car is still moving. This is really scary and the problem has already happened a few times till today and I had also taken the car back to the dealership last week in which the tech said he was not able to trace the problem at all.

Things that I have noticed so far and I'm not sure whether these are related the the above problem or not:
1)Extremely hard to downshift from 2nd back to 1st(seems like it is impossible to get into 1st gear from 2nd). And sometimes from a stand still, it is also difficult to get it into 1st gear from neutral as well.

2)My battery gauge will sometime failed and went completely dead while the rest of the gauges are ok. Then after a few seconds, the battery gauge will comes back on again.

3)Sometimes I'll see the red "check engine" light comes on and disappeared after a matter of 1 or 2 seconds later.

4)Whenever a car is approaching a stop, the car feels like it's almost going to stall with the RPM dropping all the way to rock bottom for abt 1 to 2 seconds and then back on to the normal position.

5)Burning smells from time to time.(smell like a burn clutch, but the clutch is fine)

I wonder whether any of you have ever experienced the same issue before? Since I'm not really a technical person, therefore it will be highly appreciative to receive all the comments and input from you guys. Thank you in advance

Phil

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Sorry guys. As I was really anxious to seek help and completely forgot to use the Search function. After searching, seems like there is already a fix for this issue. I'm going to search for more info on the previous thread. Once again, apologize for posting what seems to be an old existing issue.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Save me looking Phil (!) - what was the problem and the fix?

Thanks

N

Phil

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Hello Neil,

I'm taking my car into the dealership again tomorrow in which I have already briefed my GT tech in regards to the information I have aquired from this forum regarding the needs to perform the vaccum test with no more than 1/2 and not less than 1/4 of a tank and also the fuel filler pipe issue. I have further inform my GT tech to contact Frontier Ford in regards to the method for not having to remove the front fender if needed as suggested by glord previous on one of his reply. Let's see how it goes and I will provide an update soonest.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks....... and good luck....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hopefully since the forum has proved helpful you will join the majority and become a $upporting member :)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
How do you join to support?

Stalling problem

I have had the same stalling problem in the past few months. I am sitting at a red light and it just stops running, Engine Check Light comes on, but restarts without a problem, and the Check Light goes off. It happened three times last week. It then happened while coasting into a parking lot driveway, with the clutch disengaged. I reached over and started it up and continued without issue.
I was out in the San Fernando Valley last weekend and it was 113 degrees out there. I had a problem in the morning trying to put gas into the tank. The gas pump just kept clicking off and I was unable to add more than a few pennys worth. I had a half of a tank still remaining in the tank, so I decided to fill up at a later date. I had no problems driving in the 113 degree heat, however, while driving home, back to cooler weather, I got a Check Engine light that remained on. I pulled the code and it read P0455 EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large). I was just guessing, but I thought that the combination of 113 degree weather with a half full tank created too high of a tank pressure so that the system could not pull the required vacuum necessary to make the computer happy. So, I cleared the code to see if it would return, and it hasn't. I have since, tried to fill the fuel tank. Once again, I was unable to get any fuel into the tank at one station but was successful at another station.
After reading the posts about this stalling problem, I am wondering if my fuel tank problem and the stalling problem may be related. Any thoughts on the matter are welcome. My warranty period ends next month so I will be eager to get it fixed before that time.

Thanks, Tim GT374

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have had the same stalling problem in the past few months. I am sitting at a red light and it just stops running, Engine Check Light comes on, but restarts without a problem, and the Check Light goes off. It happened three times last week. It then happened while coasting into a parking lot driveway, with the clutch disengaged. I reached over and started it up and continued without issue.
I was out in the San Fernando Valley last weekend and it was 113 degrees out there. I had a problem in the morning trying to put gas into the tank. The gas pump just kept clicking off and I was unable to add more than a few pennys worth. I had a half of a tank still remaining in the tank, so I decided to fill up at a later date. I had no problems driving in the 113 degree heat, however, while driving home, back to cooler weather, I got a Check Engine light that remained on. I pulled the code and it read P0455 EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large). I was just guessing, but I thought that the combination of 113 degree weather with a half full tank created too high of a tank pressure so that the system could not pull the required vacuum necessary to make the computer happy. So, I cleared the code to see if it would return, and it hasn't. I have since, tried to fill the fuel tank. Once again, I was unable to get any fuel into the tank at one station but was successful at another station.
After reading the posts about this stalling problem, I am wondering if my fuel tank problem and the stalling problem may be related. Any thoughts on the matter are welcome. My warranty period ends next month so I will be eager to get it fixed before that time.

Thanks, Tim GT374

'Sounds like you pbly have the infamous gas filler pipe seal pblm (which requires the replacement of same).

You might send a PM to Phil and ask him about his findings w/regard to having that done w/o removing the darn fender (post #4 above). I don't remember if that info was ever posted.

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I wonder if the stalling problem has anything to do with the idle air control motor. It allows a small amount of air into the intake just after the throttle blades when the blades are completly closed.

Stalling problem

'Sounds like you pbly have the infamous gas filler pipe seal pblm (which requires the replacement of same).

You might send a PM to Phil and ask him about his findings w/regard to having that done w/o removing the darn fender (post #4 above). I don't remember if that info was ever posted.

In addition to the stalling, It is almost impossible to get fuel into the tank. Most gas pumps just shut of instantly. Today, I found one pump that allowed a small amount per minute to enter the tank. it took me 15 minutes to get 7 gallons. Does this sound inline with the infamous fill tube problem?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In addition to the stalling, It is almost impossible to get fuel into the tank. Most gas pumps just shut of instantly. Today, I found one pump that allowed a small amount per minute to enter the tank. it took me 15 minutes to get 7 gallons. Does this sound inline with the infamous fill tube problem?

I don't recall anyone mentioning that pblm as a part of the filler tube symptoms. Mebbe you have a COUPLE of issues? But, SOMETHING in there ain't right. (Obviously! :sleep:).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I don't know what is wrong with my FGT and the two daily driver Volvo's... never brought any of the three back to the dealer for any warranty work. The C70 had a recall or two, and they gave me a Fusion to drive, damn fine car. The GT has never been back to the dealer, warranty expired last week.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't know what is wrong with my FGT and the two daily driver Volvo's... never brought any of the three back to the dealer for any warranty work. The C70 had a recall or two, and they gave me a Fusion to drive, damn fine car. The GT has never been back to the dealer, warranty expired last week.

Maybe you are driving your cars like Pockets. His cars never need servicing!

:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Maybe you are driving your cars like Pockets. His cars never need servicing!

:lol

6k almost of the FGT
87K on the Volvo V70r
6k on the Volvo C70

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas

Thats just a general problem with the pump recognizing the different tank in the GT (I think). I have that happen to me usually one out of every 4-5 pumps. Usually, after trying several different positions (in and out), the pump eventually starts working.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I wonder if the stalling problem has anything to do with the idle air control motor. It allows a small amount of air into the intake just after the throttle blades when the blades are completly closed.
I used to have the stalling problem and the idle air control valve was the first thing the dealer replaced. It did not resolve the problem.

Aug 25, 2006
I used to have the stalling problem and the idle air control valve was the first thing the dealer replaced. It did not resolve the problem.

The IAC valve is not known for failure and yet it is an easy item for a dealer to replace hoping for the best. Furthermore you cannot raise the idle with the throttle blades because the PCM will compensate; the only way to alter the idle is through the PCM and the same goes for adjusting the IAC valve.

For all of you having erratic idling; meaning a idle that cycling up and down when you come to a to a stop and finally settles down (sometimes she will stall and then fire right back up) however typically at an idle lower than normal please take the time to fill the tank “completely” and if you are able to prepare yourself in advance by having the front tub/liner removed and a 10mm boxed end wrench with you once she has been topped off with fuel move her away from the pumps and then disconnect the negative battery cable at the chassis; this is very easy to do and then wait 5 minutes. After which re-secure the negative cable and take her for a drive. If the problem seems to have disappeared for this moment in time expect it to reappear once her fuel tank registers below 2/3 of a tank because the evaporative system does not check for the tanks ability to hold a vacuum when it is full.

With this having been shared the culprit is likely the fuel filler neck assembly. The part if under warranty is NBD other than the right fender needs to be removed (also NBD if plenty of blue tape is used) to replace it with no risk of damage however if she is no longer under warranty this wonderful part now has a retail price of nearly $550.00; FYI it has nearly doubled in the last year. Yes I have replaced several of them and each time I look for design changes of which I have seen none. Furthermore the last time that I purchased one (a month ago) they were on back-order.

Takes care

Shadowman

Found my Problem

I took a flashlight and looked in. Damn flapper valve is stuck, rock hard. It is ever so slightly open, which explains why it is so hard to get gas in. I tried to open it up using a wooden dowel, but no luck. Shadowman's post explains why the check light is not on; my tank is almost full, so the test cycle is not running yet. Good thing I have a new filler tube waiting for me at Galpin Ford.
Thanks to everyone for all of the information. Makes things really nice not to have to re-invent the wheel.

Tim