Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
LEMANSZ
Would you please post her phone number?

Is it 1-866-742-3673 ?
Thanks
Desi

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Desi, that # is correct. I just used it.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I just spoke with someone at the hotline and was told they are no longer looking up serial numbers of the transaxle and that if I have any concerns to contact a Ford dealer for warrantee repairs. I don't know if FMC has authorized dealers to preemptively retrofit the parts if the car is functioning correctly. I will call a dealer for repairs to see what will happen.

I guess when the halfshaft falls off the car doesn't work correctly.

BTY the hotline must have gotten a lot of calls about this issue, the hotline person mentioned the FGTF without me ever bringing it up.

BlackICE

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Let us know when you haer back from Lynn, I called last week and this AM and she had no answer for me.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Repair done and details

Okay folks, the red car is back. Took it in this morning and it was done by afternoon. No charge, under warranty. The red car is #1170, built May 5, 2005. It had silver washers that were deformed sort of concave shape but bolts were not broken. Replacement kit as referenced in my original thread last week contains 4 bolts and two washers that are flat and are hardened. They are black in color. The repair also requires the replacement of the six main axle bolts which are torque to yield bolts that cannot be reused. They are not in the kit but are ordered separately. There is NO TSB on this problem. The only TSB for the tranny axle area has to do with lubricant leakage and applies only to the 2005 cars. That TSB is used as a guide for the axle bolt repairs and it makes it clear as does the main service manual that the six axle bolts on each side are replace items not for reuse. As an aside, I suspect that the lubricant leakage is the genesis of the later over torqueing problems (just a hunch).
I talked to the tech a long time this afternoon and he took me through all the details. He has also talked to one of the Ford engineers about the problem and it sounds like there is a good bit of debate over exactly what is causing the problem. My Tech, who is very well trained and very sharp actually thinks the concave shape of the washer holds the bolts in more flush to the inner collar of the shaft. He also told me that the when the bolts break, the only effect is no power to the wheels. The shaft does not come out and is held in place by the outer shaft main bolt. The car he repaired just prior to ours had broken the bolts but did not lose any lubricant even. The GT has a limited slip rear end but even so, the loss of power to one side will disable the car.
If any of you are close to Orlando, I strongly recommend my dealer, Don Reid Ford. I had previously talked to one of their senior techs who was clueless about the GT. I have not seen him since. I apologize though for ever doubting them. They have proven my concerns about techs training to deal with these cars to be false.
My heritage 2006 goes in for the same repairs Friday. I will post details as to which washers he finds in that car then. Good fortune to all on this problem. I do think it helped that I had autographed pictures of GTJOEY in his suit that Piccola gave me to hand out to all the female staff at the dealership.

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A useful post - thanks....

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
My serial number on the tranny is #2417...where does that fit in with 'the problem' ones? anyone know?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
:tongue

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
THamonGT said:
Great update Dave! There should be absolutely no PANIC on this issue at this time. As a Ford dealer Ford will address the problem on a one to one basis. If enough cars are affected by this or any other problem with the Ford GT they will act accordingly. Please remember not every Ford Dealer is an expert on the GT but Ford Hot (dealer Hotline ) line works fast and efficient with its dealers. Great job and report Dave, thats what makes this Forum a special place to me! :thumbsup Being a Ford dealer for 50 years we've seen everything as to problems and Fords quick resolutions. Ford Does Want Its Customers Happy With Their Products, even more so at this point in their comeback and forward plan! Tomy Hamon Keep the faith.

Tomy,

Champion Ford has been servicing my GT. I bought it from Covert Ford in Hutto, Tx. Dave Sweet from Champion called the hotline and said NO WARRANTY. Do you think we should press further? I understand now that there is probably no catastrophic event if they break, but I also hate getting stranded at an inconvenient time also!

Kevin

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Kevin, Is your GT a 2005 or 2006? If it is a 2005 I would be more concerned. Ford will eventually figure out which of the vehicles produced have potential problem washers or bolts then they will either recall or make known which vehicles are affected. I'm going to wait a while to see. Tomy

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
THamonGT said:
Kevin, Is your GT a 2005 or 2006? If it is a 2005 I would be more concerned. Ford will eventually figure out which of the vehicles produced have potential problem washers or bolts then they will either recall or make known which vehicles are affected. I'm going to wait a while to see. Tomy

Mine is an 05....# 0895

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Hotline Fooey

I called the Hotline with my Vin and Trans number and the dumb broad said they are no longer looking up numbers for people. If you have an issue just take (or push) it to a Dealer for service. Thank you very much. :ack

Must be too much trouble to look at a list. I'm pulling my half shafts and looking myself. The Stretch bolts are only $3.00 a side. If my washer is hard, I'll wire it anyway, and if it is soft I guess I'll have an issue. :willy

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
This is really weird:...I'm reading all the posts regarding the shaft bolt failures and the phone rang.....It was my Ford Dealer at Manhattan Ford in NYC. He told me that a GT was just towed in with axel shaft bolt failure.(sheared right off).....after checking my vin No.1442 he realizes that it will eventually happen to me.(nice of him,,dont you think) he just ordered the parts needed for the upgrade and will call me tomorrow to bring the car in on friday. In response to you guys that are getting the run around at the GT Hotline, I suggest to just get in touch with your dealers and I would imagine that they will do the upgrade NOW...before someone get's hurt un-necessarily in an accident.... Good luck to all of you.

Gino

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
How about early '05's

Mine number is 265. I haven't seen any mention of the earliest models having the problem. I anyone aware of the lowest Serial number failure?

Thanks,

Craig

XR750

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2006
Holy Shit! Ford Cold Line No Help

just got off the phone with the Ford GT coldline... AND MY GOOD FRIEND KAREN JONES WOULD NOT TELL ME IF MY VECHICLE WAS SUBJECT TO THIS UPDATE, FURTHER, SHE TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE NOT LOOKING UP THAT INFORMATION ANY MORE, AND THERE WAS "AN ENGINEER" WHO HAD THAT INFO, I ASKED HOW TO GET AHOLD OF HIM...SHE SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE...I TOLD HER I DID NOT BELIEVE HER, HOW DO I speak to him? SHE TOLD ME IT WASN'T POSSIBLE
I TOLD HER I WAS UNHAPPY WITH FORD'S SERVICE AND HER POSITION THAT SHE WOULD DO NOTHING FOR ME, AND ASKED FOR HER SUPERVISOR, SHE REFUSED TO GIVE ME THAT INFO EITHER,

SO MUCH FOR THE FLAGSHIP OF AN AMERICAN COMPANY..
WANKERS ! :bs

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Problem solved!

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mine is in the shop getting the bolts replaced as I write this (under warranty courtesy of the dealer) but one thing concerns me. I just talked to the service manager and he said the washers in the replacement kit were not black, just metal finish. Does anyone know if the replacement washers are supposed to be black? I asked him to see about drilling and safety wiring the new bolts but he has never done anything like that before and is hesitant to do it.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Halfshaft Bolt Kit

There is a UPGRADED kit. When I ordered mine, they ordered the UPGRADED replacement kit.

AMB

XR750

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2006
upgraded kit?

any chance you have a part number for such a kit, obe1?

JJ

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Texas, I think those bolts should be black - heat hardened.

Status
Not open for further replies.