Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
*UPDATE* IF YOU HAVE HAD THE FAILURE SEE THE STICKY AT THE TOP OF THIS SECTION PLEASE

Let me preface this by saying this is only what I personally have found out and is not official word from Ford, nor any specific individual at Ford. The only way to get official answers is to refer to the GT Hotline or Ford directly. The hotline is aware of the issue as of today, but I have no garauntee of what they may tell you. As has been previously stated, some have had good experiences with the hotline, some don't even want to bring it up. I'd simply be more inclined to go with what works now.

A few answers:

Who does this affect?

- No concrete answer because the issue lies with the transaxle supplied by Ricardo in the UK. Because they do not come in sequenced order as the cars do, it's hard to isolate. The issue is resultant from over-torqueing of the bolts/improperly hardened washers. My personal assessment would be to reliably conclude that if a car near your VIN has had it, you are more likely to have the problem, simply because they didn't ship 4038 transaxles over at once. That said less than 1% of all cars have had the issue at this point. Less than 1% of all cars have had the issue so this indeed is a very small cross-section.

Is it a safety issue?

- The answer to that is no. The issue has only occured, for whatever reason, at move-off. However, in the event it somehow occurred while moving, the failure mode is a loss of drive as if you were in neutral. The conceivable loss of fluid which occurs at rest will not hit your wheels because the belly pans impede the travel of fluid, and in any event, your wheels are to the side of where the fluid would fall. This is basically just like any other event that causes a loss of drive, be it a clutch, motor, whatever. The obvious issue is turning purple as you have to wait for a tow truck.

What should I do if I have the failure?

- If you have the failure, just like any other issue with your car, it should be under warranty and should be replaced by the dealer free of charge. The field fix is good and if done correctly as per the latest update of the shop manual (some dealers exhibited confusion as to the proper fix, re:abolfaz) will fix the problem 100%.

What if I don't have the failure but I am concerned?

- This is probably the most pertinent question. If you want to go ahead and have this done and nothing is broken, it is up to dealer discretion. However, the large majority of people who have chosen to do so have had it done for free by taking it to their selling dealer or a dealer familiar with the GT. The fix costs under $200 and is not labor intensive, so dealers have been amenable to pre-emptively working on the car. This does not represent a garauntee.

What is the service kit number?

- Here is the part number for the service kit for the redesigned axle shaft flange kit: Current service part number is 4G7Z-7B368-BA.

Where can I get official word?

- As I've mentioned, the only avenue to get any kind of official word is the GT Hotline or contacting FoMoCo directly. My first inclination would be to contact your selling dealer and have them order the part and simply do the fix if you are concerned rather than spend time worrying about it.

That's all I really have and I hope it lends a modicum of clarity to the situation. In my own assessment, I will not be getting the service kit because of the small number of failures. I say this tracking my car and having gone faster (routinely) in the car than 99.9% of people ever will. I completely understand the inclination of those who wish to get it done. I'm going to ALCS Game 3 right now, so please don't burn the place down while I'm gone.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks Dave.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
DBK said:
I'm going to ALCS Game 3 right now, so please don't burn the place down while I'm gone.
Dave,
first of all, thanks for this. Excellent exec summary....

second: What car are you taking to get there ? :wink

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks for your hard work and investigative efforts. I have forwarded this information to my local dealer and will let them decide what to do. I have an early 2/2006 VIN657 model. So far, my experience with my local Ford dealership has been superb.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
My dealer said no so now I need to call the FORD GT Hotline. What is the number for the hotline?
Thanks!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
1-866-742-3673

lthlvpr said:
My dealer said no so now I need to call the FORD GT Hotline. What is the number for the hotline?
Thanks!

Was this your selling dealer, and what dealer was it...thanks...

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Great info once again Dave. I remain on the fence regarding what I will do. I keep checking the bolts, and they keep looking fine (approaching 6,000 miles on the clock). Plus I haven't heard of any units close to mine having the problem (2005 #1456 -- I think I saw an '05 in the 1,200s report the problem, but most have been later '05s or early '06s). I'm going to put up a quick note about it in the Ford GT long-term blog at Edmunds to help spread the word.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline?14@332.OxcmaYa4sN8@/roadtests

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great update Dave! There should be absolutely no PANIC on this issue at this time. As a Ford dealer Ford will address the problem on a one to one basis. If enough cars are affected by this or any other problem with the Ford GT they will act accordingly. Please remember not every Ford Dealer is an expert on the GT but Ford Hot (dealer Hotline ) line works fast and efficient with its dealers. Great job and report Dave, thats what makes this Forum a special place to me! :thumbsup Being a Ford dealer for 50 years we've seen everything as to problems and Fords quick resolutions. Ford Does Want Its Customers Happy With Their Products, even more so at this point in their comeback and forward plan! Tomy Hamon Keep the faith.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks, Dave, for checking this issue out. Now we all know where we stand with this potential problem and can proceed accordingly. :thumbsup

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
My understanding is that the bolts on the outside plate will show movement if/when the problem is occuring. Here's a photo of my cover plate from last week (both sides look the same).

Attachments

• GThalfshaft.JPG
    GThalfshaft.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,896

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Centerpunch, in reference to the locked thread, I thought people were noting their transaxle numbers; if we're talking VIN's I'm 2006 #442 so I guess I should worry, but I'm not. Too many threads about this to sort it all out, thanks for the consolidation DBK. Seems like the only way it could cause an accident is if it broke and you got stuck in traffic and rear-ended. I don't want to get stuck but it seems like someone posted that you could slide the half shaft back in and limp home. I refuse to freak out on this issue until it becomes one.

Biggs

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Yes, but if the center bolts come loose I think the half shaft still won't slide out until the cover backs off a bit. That will happen over time as power is put through the half shaft and the extra pressure is put on the cover bolts. It could probably all happen at once on one hard launch, or very quickly during aggressive driving (like a Mulholland run). But I rarely hammer on mine, so I'm thinking I'll have some warning between internal bolt failure and complete half-shaft disconnection.

At least that's my understanding.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Punch, when we were at the Rally, I and others personally discussed this with the Ford engineers. They said you should watch the marks as well depicted by EnzoBtr. Once again, straight from the mouth of the GT engineers. They stated it was a problem of the late '05 and early '06 models.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I will call the Coldline tomorrow and see if they have any information as I called them on Friday and never heard back. I suspect that I will do it, either on my nickel or their's to give me the piece of mind that comes with getting it done. Thanks DBK for your correct summary.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
centerpunch,

I guess if one was superman and had xray vision, that would be the only other way to tell if the bolts were loose! :biggrin

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
AND WHO, DISGUISED AS GTJOEY, LOOKING FOR TRUTH , JUSTICE AND THE AMERICAN GT "S GOING TO THE INDY 500 WAY!!!!!!!!! :usa GTJOEY 1314 SSSWWWWWWWIISHH LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, NO A PLANE, NO JUST LITTLE OLD ME GTJOEY DOG :biggrin

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Just talked with Lynn on the Ford GT Coldline. No answer on my request last week to see if my transaxle number was potentially involved as a problem with the bolt issue. I was told there is no plan to notify anyone about this problem, there is no estimated time period that the Coldline personnel will call back to answer your FGT transaxle number issue, no answers from Ford on anything, and unless your axle bolts are broken, you can kiss it good-bye to expect Ford to do anything about it.

I have only one option, pay for it myself and not expect anything from FORD. I think they should close the Ford Hotline/Coldline as it is completely ineffective at solving any problems. You would do better calling the Post Office in Washington, D.C. Ford should save the money as they obviously could care less about any potential problems with the car, there is no one involved with this issue that can take any comments or questions and answer them.

So next time you think you need another sports car, I suggest finding your local Ferrari dealer.

An Unhappy and Pissed-off Ford GT Owner. :frown :bs :thumbsdow

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
Just got a call from Lynn at the Ford "hotline". She said I have the "upgraded bolts". I then said to her "you mean the upgraded washers" she said "yeah the upgraded washers".

I haven't decided fi I should still have it checked/fixed.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
at the shop now

My red car is at the shop now. I have asked them to save the parts and if they do I will report to everyone with more detail. Once we have more facts in hand from our own cars I think it will give everyone a better chance to get this worked out and paid for by Ford as it should be. The spread between numbers on my GTs is enough to give us really good info.. The Heritage goes in later in the week for its bolts. I will share this info as soon as I can. KO

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
..for the record...

I just spoke with Lynne from the GT Hotline, and she was very professional, knowledgeable and courteous. She advised me to get her the serial number off the tranny, which I wil l will do and she will advise me if the one I have needs upgarading. What's the big beef? I have had issues with prior Ferrari's and have had issues with them. Ford assist WAS GREAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.