GT with 427 SOHC

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but was there any follow up on this project? I'm very curious.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
+1

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Good question, I jsut spent some time with John at PRI and it did not come up. He now has a black Sanger (sp?) flat bottom with a blown SOHC pulled by a 61 woody sohc, 61 sunliner with a sohc, the famous orange 61 starliner with 75K on a sohc and is putting one in his 32 hi boy.........and he has about a dozen more motors left and I hope one is finding its way into a GT.

Most of his others are original 427's (62&63 lightweights & t-bolts).

If I hear anything I'll post up.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Not going to happen talked to John yesterday. He doesn't even have a gt right now.
That is the lastest news.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
As cool as a 427 SOHC would be, I think that if one really wanted a kickass naturally aspirated GT, Sean Hyland's new 6 liter mod motor would be a better all around performer, and much more efficient/reliable. 600 crank hp at 0 psi. :biggrin

Personally, I'll stick with F/I.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
As cool as a 427 SOHC would be, I think that if one really wanted a kickass naturally aspirated GT, Sean Hyland's new 6 liter mod motor would be a better all around performer, and much more efficient/reliable. 600 crank hp at 0 psi. :biggrin

Personally, I'll stick with F/I.

Actually John has one of his he adapted new tech to the old king of the hill motors. Of course I have seen every wild mix you could think of at his place. I remember when he and Jack R. put a boss 9 with efi and other stuff in John Coletti's mustang (who now retired can be found hanging at JV's place soving the worlds problems).

I hope to see him over the holidays and see whats up

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
There's a thread over at GT40s.com about someone doing a SOHC into a GT40 replica.. pics looks pretty cool. I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/23574-earls-sohc-cammer-gt40.html

mardyn

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I remember when he and Jack R. put a boss 9 with efi and other stuff in John Coletti's mustang

Yeah, that was a 604" Boss stroker...I have a 1:18 scale model of it in my collection. Twin Lincoln Mark VIII throttle bodies....very trick! Does Coletti still own that car?

Mark IV

Sep 8, 2007
Western New York
John V. did the engine install in Safir GT40 P1116 circa 1986. It was a 351 Windsor with a Holley. The car came together late one night and a test run was attempted. John decided that it would be a good idea for him to ride shotgun. He levered himself into the left hand seat (RHD) and off he and the owner went. A dicey oil pressure reading cut the drive short (turns out the input shaft on the ZF was too long and wiped the trhust bearing out in two miles). This brought up the task of removing John from the GT40. (you must know John to understand) Several TP employees yanked on him while he pushed. The sound of him coming free from the tub can best be described as the same sound a cork makes when pulled from a bottle!:lol

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Yeah, that was a 604" Boss stroker...I have a 1:18 scale model of it in my collection. Twin Lincoln Mark VIII throttle bodies....very trick! Does Coletti still own that car?

As far as I know he still has it. The Boss car and the Stallion which had a switch on/off S/C and switch on/off gas or Alky were two very unique stangs. I drove both at Knotts berry farm & Sema show.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
As far as I know he still has it. The Boss car and the Stallion which had a switch on/off S/C and switch on/off gas or Alky were two very unique stangs. I drove both at Knotts berry farm & Sema show.

WOW! You got to drive both of those cars? I would kill for such an opportunity. Some day you have to fill me in on the details....:cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
WOW! You got to drive both of those cars? I would kill for such an opportunity. Some day you have to fill me in on the details....:cheers

+8

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
TP ol pal,
The last I heard, Ford sold both those cars to John V, along with the GT-90, Mustang Mach III, for 1 dollar each, with the stipulation they could borrow them back if ever needed.

They had been stored at the Roush facility in Allen Park. I went down there on GT business one time, and Rich Brooks gave me the nickel tour.

Hope you had a great holiday :cheers:cheers

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
TP ol pal,
The last I heard, Ford sold both those cars to John V, along with the GT-90, Mustang Mach III, for 1 dollar each, with the stipulation they could borrow them back if ever needed.

They had been stored at the Roush facility in Allen Park. I went down there on GT business one time, and Rich Brooks gave me the nickel tour.

Hope you had a great holiday :cheers:cheers

Shhh.......Played with GT 90 and its back in storage for now.

Rick I hope you are loving the warm west. Can't wait to see you again someday soon. JV just called thinking of doing BJ, as Ford has some triple black KR-500 vert stang 1 of 1 he is taking out to the auction.