GT with 427 SOHC

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Just had lunch with old time friend John Vermeersch. He said he is buying or bought a GT with a trashed twin turbo motor. He said it's going to be a new project and maybe a bit sacreligious but he plans on installing a 427 SOHC in it. He has enough of them in stock so you got beleive this would be one way cool conversion.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
will it fit, why? those motors are all worth $35k.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Why not try the V-10

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Who killed their TT and how did it happed?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Who killed their TT and how did it happed?

Ditto. We have to know this person.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is a very interesting project. Please keep us posted. While I love the car and the 5.4 blown motor, a high power n/a big block would have made it even better.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Not me not me ! :biggrin

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I will check with John V. but he said it was Red & White.

Knowing John V. He can make anything fit. Some know him as the Ford answer man, some as Mr. FE, He has been on the Ford Motorsport (aka FRP)board since it started and prior to that John was I think Jack Roush 1st employee. Other than that he has a cammer in everthing including his daily driver (Orange 61 Starliner). On any given day a stop at his shop (Total Performance) you can see mangustas, panteras, 08 KR500 or the latest new exotic thing being created.

To answer Bony why not? and John's moto is everything will fit, it's just a matter of finesse.:thumbsup

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Vermeersch will make it happen. He has done incredible things with Ford Hipo stuff for many years. I have seen a few of his cool projects.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Don't stop there.

With an N.A. 427FE installed I would also fabricate proper MK II rear brake and rear quarter panel cooling scoops to turn the Ford GT into a GT44 MK II. I think such a model should have been Ford's follow up to our cars. This is something that nobody has done yet. As there are probably only about 3500 original (no race mods or salvage titles) GTs left and they are all treasures, doing it to a salvage title car makes sense to me. I'd love to see it.

Chip

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
That's not a good sign for TT owners.

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
It wasn't me ....

Although If it were gonna pop it would have by now :D

hehehehehe

M

Mark O

Don't the timing chains on the SOHC have to be adjusted/replaced frequently?
If so, putting that engine in seems like it would be creating a maintenance nightmare.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I love the cammer, but I think you are putting in more weight with less potential HP.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I love the cammer, but I think you are putting in more weight with less potential HP.

Great history, I am a Cammer fan as well, but the modular motor is the cat's meow.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
If so, putting that engine in seems like it would be creating a maintenance nightmare.

There is a company or two that offer a gear drive for the sohc.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
427 engine

What about Carroll Shelbys aluminum block 427 engine for lite weight. TGH

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
What about Carroll Shelbys aluminum block 427 engine for lite weight. TGH

I think our Modular engine is lighter than Shelby's engine even if you have aluminum heads, water pump and manifolds. The issue is 60's design versus new millenium design. For the record, I am an FE guy.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan

This is a old myth. JV in his daily driver had 90K before he decided to rebuild it. I rember he had 60 on it when he did the first Hot Rod Power tour.

Anyhow I think he would do it for just plain fun & something cool to do.

Back in the 60's without any of todays ignition or fuel system advances, a bone stock motor made 614 single, 637hp dual quad and not unusual for the big block to twist 7Krpm. The FE motors are realy pretty light compared to other big blocks.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Silverbullitt, you may be correct on the weight advantage of today's 5.4 modular over the SOHC 427s, but the horsepower and mid to high end performance of those engines is pretty staggering, even by today's standards. Granted you are comparing 427 cubic inches to 330 or so, but with modern fuel injection on a well built and tuned cammer today you can easily see 750hp. :thumbsup
In fact, I'd love to build a Superperformance GT replica with a cammer in it.....look out! :banana