GT v Pantera

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany

Tomcat

GT Owner
Those Campys on Leno's car must be at least 17"s. they look OEM, but note how they fill the fenders.

I have aluminum Campy clones by Boyd Coddington. I have all 17"s but they are/were available in 16, 17 and 18.

The aftermarket for the Pantera is surprisingly robust.

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have 5 years of my life in my '71.
Punched out the Cleveland and did normal hot rod stuff.
180 degree headers with baffles(not mufflers) for an unlike V8 noise.
Centerforce clutch and ZF are fairly bullet proof.
Well designed rad and hood vents deal with the cooling issues.
Brakes!
Any modern wheel and tire combo requires 4 point cage and front and rear upper and lower structure kits.
Lost the AC and heater box along the way.
At 6'3" finally dropped the floor pans to stop hitting my head on the roof.
Seats bolted directly to the floor for greater headroom.
Have to stretch for 30 min prior to trying to get in and out.
A fun, raw "go kart".
Best,
Mark
Almost forgot the 150 shot of juice in case you meet something fast!

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
pantera

A pic of My GT5 after I hit a cat at 80mph, notice a kit version in the background, Still wish Id kept her.

Attachments

• Detomaso 001.jpg
    Detomaso 001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 525
  • RRandC 072 - Copy.jpg
    RRandC 072 - Copy.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 535

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
DeTomaso Pantera

Had my '72 Pantera for a dozen years, and had a lot of fun with it. Put in a four-point cage, swapped in a real BOSS 351 engine, added 4-48IDA's, MindTrain louvers, moved the 8" Campys to the front and put 10's on the rear. The ZF worked fine once I shortened the shifter and cut the fingers out of the shift gate bezel.

Pantera_2a m (Large).jpg Pan 1 DRC001 m (Large).jpg

PCage.JPG Webers2 r m.jpg

My first ride in a GT at Rally I with Bony reminded me very much of my old Pantera. Lots of progress in the industry with thirty-five years of product development.

Jeff

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Very nice, Jeff!

Looking at that tire sidewall, looks like tire technology has taken a bit of leap as well.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
The window louvers look very Muira-ish. BTW Jeff, how'd you get into the thing? :-}

Tomcat

GT Owner
swapped in a real BOSS 351 engine, added 4-48IDA's,
View attachment 34379 View attachment 34380

View attachment 34385 View attachment 34386
I (think I) WANT velocity stacks/individual throttle bodies on my 351C! How did this set-up work for you?
Details (if you have them).
tbaranek@earthlink.net

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Cobrar - the first pic was with BFG T/As at the first Car Craft magazine "Street Machine Nationals" in Niagara Falls - the second pic was after I finally got my Pirelli P7's (THE hot tire of the day)

djs - the brace on the side is hinged in front, and swung out for access.

Tomcat - still running the Webers - have them on the 351C engine my Cobra replica these days. Will send you an email.

Jeff

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Most all of the relevant points have been made one or more times, but as an owner-from-new of a '72, I thought I'd throw my $.02 in.

The Leno video presents an amazingly comprehensive perspective on the facts of what a Pantera is. If you want to get the essence of the car, watch it one or more times.

A comparison - GT vs Pantera - just doesn't work. 30+ years of technology improvements present too large a difference to ignore/overcome.

In the day, the Pantera was a uniquely positioned supercar in the spectrum of what was available, not really lacking in any area, and superior in many. In terms of value/performance for the $, it was clearly superior. Value proposition is still there today, if that's a niche that you want to enter.

If I had just the GT, I'd be somewhat hard pressed to come up with real reasons to acquire a Pantera. ( Standard conditions of wife and storage space apply. ) Curiosity and lifelong Ford guy are two reasons that might carry the day.

In '72, I was curious and a Ford guy. Thought the Pantera was dynamite, and just had to have one. Flew out of Newark one day, and on the docks were acres of them, in every color. That was the tipping point as far as moving ahead. Surprisingly easy to buy one, as the local L-M dealer had 13 of them, in almost every color. After a test drive I was totally hooked. I had a '68 GT500 at the time, and thought the Pantera was representative of the next leap forward in supercar design. Kept the Shelby - which was my daily driver - and bought the Pantera. Built a garage to hold both, and never looked back.

Having the good fortune of owning both the GT and Pantera , I will never part with either.

Both are unique and timeless, and will instantly attract a crowd wherever you go.

Back in the day, I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the performance envelope of the Pantera. In those situations that presented themselves in standing start; roll-on; and top speed, I was never bested. Also won several autocross championships, and had a blast doing so against a wide variety of competent vehicles in the top street classification.

If you have the itch to do so, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and enjoy one. Just take Leno's advice, and seek out a "Pantera" guy to help you, just as you would look for a "GT guy" to do a PPI if you were buying a used GT.

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Thanks guy, you convinced me. Have a lovely 1972 modded to GT5S spec inbound. Will post pics soon.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Congrats! Pictures!
Forum : http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Email list:
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.com
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
detomaso-request@poca.com

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
image.jpgIncoming Pantera, hopefully here by Fri :)

image.jpg

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
SWEET!

Good luck.

You will love it.

Enjoy!

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
some one has done a very nice job on it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Beautiful car!

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hope you will post driving impressions. Looks like a beautiful car.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Wow...!!!

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Hamster bay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 143

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Cockpit, maybe nicer than GT ? :)

Freaking F40 is SO uncomfortable compared to GT, Call her my Italian Dominatrix cus she likes to beat me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 161