GT v Pantera

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I've always thought Panteras are beautiful but they r from the 70s

I'm concerned it will be a big let down after the GT

How does Pantera drive ?

Is comparing it to a GT totally unfair cus of tech gap ?

Do I need to just compare it to older cars ?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I'd say yes...................of the same type.

'Valid concern IMHO. But when you get right down to it, what cars aren't other than today's Lambos and the like?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Just can't fairly compare a early 70's sports car of any make to a newer GT Supercar, they scratch to completely different itches. Pantera's are a blast to drive but as you might imagine are raw, primitive, cramped and feel more like a go cart however a blast non the less:thumbsup. It would be more fair to compare the car to a late 60's early 70's vette or even a Ferrari. A buddy owed a Ferrari 365 GTC/4, a '58 Vette and a GT, still owns the Vette, sold the Ferrari and now owns a Pantera, loves it and drives it regularly. I'm currently in the market for a old Convet Vette to drive to replace the Pantera, not because I don't like the car but more due to I just don't fit. I'm only 6'3" and the lack of leg room Is the ONLY complaint I have. I've never found myself driving the Pantera wishing I had taken the GT or vice versa, it's not like blonds Vs brunettes but rather dirt bikes vs street bikes IMO. Good Luck!

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I too always wanted a Pantera and had a chance to buy an unmolested early '72 back in 1988 for $18,000. Im 6'-2" with long legs and the Pantera was built for people more like 5'-10". Could not fit my left leg comfortably anywhere. Go see Jay Leno's Garage recent video posted on his Pantera he just purchased, very informative. I have been told many Pantera owners remove seat track and put in fixed support to gain an inch or two of legroom. I ended up buying an NSX which satisfied my sport car itch for many years but then purchased my FGT and sold NSX. Would have kept NSX but ran out of room. Panteras have a timeless design just like our FGTs. I can tell you driving my 70 Boss 302 still puts a smile on my face and I bet the Pantera would do the same.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My issue with old cars,is that they drive like old cars!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

EP doesn't have a problem with that at all.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Funny thing is someone will make a post in 2036 on FORDGTFORUM in the MK16 section "Buy another MK16 or add a '05/'06 GT to my collection, they are down in price. I can get a low 350,000 mile car for less than 7mil". And someone will answer "They are timeless beauties for sure but the problem is they drive like an old car". Course then someone will chime in with "This has been discussed many times before, use the Thread search!!!" :lol

Last edited:

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
OK, where to start...I've owned five of them over the years. Yes. raw and animal like. A totally different experience from the GT. All the fickleness of a 40 year car. electrical, cooling, clunky shifting are all known issues. Most owners will sort out those issues, add a modern ECM, change out suspension, tires, wheels, and upgrade the motor. Lots of parts avail. But still 40 years old at that point. But oh the fun, the questions and the looks. Never had a dull moment...although never ever sure I'd make it home!

Tom

GT5pic.jpg

I've always thought Panteras are beautiful but they r from the 70s

How does Pantera drive ?

Is comparing it to a GT totally unfair cus of tech gap ?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I always loved the Pantera. And I always wondered why the Cleveland engine didn't get the not from Ford over the Windsor. I always thought they were "hardier"... More like the big block FE design.

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
never ever sure I'd make it home!

Tom

View attachment 34372

What makes them so unreliable ? Electronics ? The Ford engine can't b that unreliable as long as it's not making crazy hp

How reliable is the trans ?
Thnx

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...And I always wondered why the Cleveland engine didn't get the nod from Ford over the Windsor....

:agree:

I've always wondered about that too. The Cleveland was a great improvement over the Windsor.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
For some reason all GT owners love Panteras, I do

Some own the Pantera, Mangusta, and even AMX/3 with the GT

Mid engine with ZF is addictive

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I must admit I was disappointed with this post. Thought I was going to see a GT vs a Pantera.:biggrin

Make it happen please.

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
My recollection from back in the 70's was it was the emissions regulations that made Ford choose the Windsor over the Cleveland. The Australians continued making Clevelands into the 80's.

:agree:

I've always wondered about that too. The Cleveland was a great improvement over the Windsor.

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Reliabilty issues mostly related to insufficient cooling and numerous lucas electrical devices. Zf trans was fairly bullet proof. Long shifter linkage was helped by switching to heim joints and teflon inserts. Remember the cleveland engines at the time were dual point timed. That must go! Otherwise, once uodated, things were fine. Arizona heat made it necessary to swapout radiators and add higher cfm fans. Ac was so so at best.
Tom

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
George Stauffer was a big proponent of swapping the Cleveland for the Windsor; lighter, easier to work on, more parts, etc.
I did buy a pretty good 73 "L" from him with the Cleveland. The mods were an Edelbrock Torquer intake, Holley 750 instead of the auto light 4 brl, the GTS headers, and the basic cooling kit (which was indispensable). No comparison to a GT, BUT, I could pretty much dust anything contemporary. I had a friend with a pretty stout 69 Vette, 427 Tri power/435 horse. He couldn't get over how my Pantera ran from 100-150. For relatively cheap stomping' fun, you can't beat (or at least you couldn't) a Pantera. Parts are available, mods are relatively doable, and POCA members will help you with about anything.
I think the initial build quality on the 71s, especially the push button cars, sealed their fate. The cooling issues didn't help. The rust was probably the final straw. However, if you find a solid car, and you do your homework, you'll have a ton if car for the $$. Problem is, they're still 40 years old...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Here in Australia we got the European version imported already right hand drive,, Pantera GT5 , I bought a 1984 model, they had most of the bugs ironed out, was quite well finished and drove really well, Mine need a lot more castor on the front to make it track better, as the roads are quite badly rutted, and those wide front wheels made the front geometry not quite what you need for the road,. I remember measuring the front wheel off set and then taking a line through the top and bottom ball joints, finding the centre of the wheel to be outside that line, which makes for radical tram lining . Still on a good road all was well. I did have the lights go out at about 80mph on a cold dark night, That was pretty scary. Other than that She never let me down. My mate has a kit version that I might get hold of to finish, The kit was done in NZ, already have a Ricardo transaxle .I do wish I had never sold it, Another one of my many regrets..

Tomcat

GT Owner
Apples and Oranges...okay Tangerines and Oranges.
Anyway, my Pantera (with a Unilite ignition mod) has been very reliable (owned since 1986).
Its freon has long leaked out and it doesn't like sitting in a lot of traffic in the Summer in the SouthEast...but as long as you are moving a little it stays real cool (180-190).

Attachments

• FGT+ Pantera small.JPG
    FGT+ Pantera small.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 276

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Those Campys on Leno's car must be at least 17"s. they look OEM, but note how they fill the fenders.