GT Rally Exhaust Compilation

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Obviously this is one of the number one questions here. Everyone knows how to extract more power in about 3 hours out of these things, but people are conflicted on sound. The major systems everyone wants to hear:

- Borla (FLORIDA CHRIS)
- Borla with headers
- Borla rear exit headers (I'll ruin the suspense. Loud. EXTREMELY loud.)
- Accufab X-pipe
- Bob Ida (PRDATR)
- Kinetics (TUNGSTEN)

If you would like me to record your car at idle, part throttle, and WOT parked/driving, post here. I've got a decent HD Camcorder and I can post the clips post-rally. We can probably arrange to do this either Friday in the afternoon or for those arriving early, anytime prior to Wednesday night. It would be best to line them up in a row, starting with stock, then go in order. Mind you, a consumer camcorder will not adequetely convey what a car exhaust sounds like in real life, it puts you in the ballpark...

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
DBK, I am completely stock and if you want to use my car to judge all the aftermarket Gt's after.... I'm in. Let me know the time and place ( obviously your place) :cheers

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dave-

I am Borla only. I'll sign up to provide that recording.

-Chris

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Exhaust

I am Kinetics with Baffles.
Don

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Don, please describe your impression of the changed exhaust sound with the baffles installed. Thank you.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
Exhaust Demo

Great idea. DBK, sign me up to demo the Ida exhaust pipe.

I have done audio recordings with my Hi- Def camera and I agree that the recording has limitations. I wonder if we have any audio fanatics on the forum who have access to some good portable recording equipment? I'll also bring along my sound-level meter.

DBK, pm me an address to send you a check to help cover rally expenses.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
New Exhaust System

If someone from Florida wants to test this:

http://64.62.242.228/GT/Exit.jpg

Let me know. I think it will solve all of the issues. It runs open with higher flow than a 3 inch pipe. It flows equal to a 3 inch pipe with muffler inserts. It flows better than the stock muffler with "glass pack" inserts and is tame enough for in town but gutsy! The inserts are removable and changeable in minutes. The work has been done with round inserts for convenience but they will be eliptical to match the bumper holes when its finished. This works great with the CATs and should also work well with the Borla headers designed for the muffler box. The packed inserts take the "crack" out of the exhaust for normal driving. You can remove the inserts and terrorize the neighborhood when ever you get the urge. I don't have a video camera to record with. I listened to the sound clips other people have posted and by the time it comes out my computer they all sound the same so I'm skeptical that recording all these exhausts will net useable results for folks. BTW this should be available in late October for around $1500. I made this unit for myself but after hearing all the interest in changing exhaust systems I'm working on being able to have them made. I'd like an independent assessment before I waste the time and money if you folks don't agree that this is the one. It is for me. I'll even put it on your car if someone wants to drive it to the Rally. :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
acufab x pipe :biggrin

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I just don't care for the skinny chicken look on a race car. :rofl

Dirk P

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 18, 2006
Orlando Florida
Borla

I have the Ford/Borla cat back exhaust. I am looking into a way I can put an electric Cut-outs in to by pass the cats and borla. Any Ideas.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
What?!?!??! :confused
Dirk P said:
I have the Ford/Borla cat back exhaust. I am looking into a way I can put an electric Cut-outs in to by pass the cats and borla. Any Ideas.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Try Jeg's

Dirk P said:
Jeg's sell two different versions, however, I am unsure of the quality.

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Do we have some results yet?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Best avatar = Bony
Best sound and power with cats and stock manifold = Acufab
Best power and loudest = Borla/Ford headers without cats and straight through exhausts

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Some of these were LOUD (blue and yellow @ the rally)!! I had the misfortune of being next to the blue one @ WOT with my windows open, on one of the caravans and it hurt. BUT sounded fantastic, but not for me.....

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Is Stainless Works still making headers?

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Have the sound bites been posted somewhere? Were DB readings taken? If so I missed it, could someone point me to the results?
Tahnsk

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
DBK said:
..... Everyone knows how to extract more power in about 3 hours out of these things .....
Not everyone. How about some direction?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Done.

The following people are in the video.

1418- Stock
Florida Chris - Borla Muffler
Bony - Accufab
John Gourley - Tubi
barondw - ida automotive
650 HP - Full FRPP Exhaust w/headers

It will be available later today.

Thanks.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Will we have dB readings also, or wasn't that possible?