PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
GT Owning

TM - you're The Man.

Well Said.

GT equality is the same among "we" owners.

Yep there'll always be someone who had more of everything, but owning a Ford GT brings something special to us all. It's all about perception of values. And not ecconomics.

It is my personal point of view that each day is a good one, however some are just better than others. Each time I see a GT, mine or someone else's, a particular feeling of serenity and/or satisfaction appears. That feeling re-affirms the original decision to purchase a GT.

Jeff

BTW - DBK your Tiggers in The Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pure Bliss for Ford Country. :cheers

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Guys,

I think that a hell of a LOT more than 105 units have made there way to Europe thus far - hopefully I will be adding another vehicle to the list of "exports" to Europe. (looking for a yellow one right now!)

Like many here I'm buying the car because I love it and NOT to expect to make any money BUT I do forsee a climb in pricing probably in about 4-5 years!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Who Cares??????????????

Personally; I am getting tired of these types of threads.
Who Cares?
Did you buy the GT out of vanity? OR Because you really appreciate the machine?
If it’s the first, you deserve to LOSE MONEY and if it’s the second WHO CARES?

cvdg

Jan 26, 2006
Coral Gables
Question you should be asking yourself is not the appreciation potential, but more along the lines of depreciation potential. This was the approach I took when making my purchase decision. I originally thought that the depreciation potential would be much less than other cars being considered at that time (except for the obvious Ferrari's). As usual, I was proofed wrong once again. As everyone else has aleady stated, you buy a car to drive and enjoy...as simple as that! :cheers

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Insurance Costs

BigsGT said:
You need to shop around! :biggrin

I do agree with your other points though...

...And let's not forget Mr. RM who owns EIGHT GTs! (I think there is a spaniard who does as well. Thus the number of cars/owners plummets...

That is for $100 deductible collision and $0 deductible comprehensive; all other coverage at max the company offers. About how many dollars are you paying annually for what coverage levels? Thanks...if the numbers are lower, I will shop around!

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
jasper said:
why has it come down to dollars :confused

i thought people brought the GT because they loved the car not to make
a quick buck.

don't care if it falls to 50k it is still worth a million in the heart

One of the reasons I justified getting a GT was the amount I was losing on my overpriced(in this country) SL55. In the space of 2 years it's dropped(by $US75k) to slightly below($US11k) the current lease payout value, something I can no longer stomach. At least with GT it will be better value and from everyone I've talked to here(including car dealer friends), be rare and desirable enough not to devalue at that kind of rate. I don't care what it's value does in 5 years time, but I would like to see some stability in the short term just for piece of mind's sake.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
richardhead said:
That is for $100 deductible collision and $0 deductible comprehensive; all other coverage at max the company offers. About how many dollars are you paying annually for what coverage levels? Thanks...if the numbers are lower, I will shop around!

When I first got my GT I had to pay $4Grr a year from the same bunch who had my Viper @ $1,100 a year. I tried to get a limited mileage/collector policy with Classic but they didn't like that my daily drivers were insured through my businesses.

About that time I got the postcard in the mail form State Farm saying since they had my homeowners I should give them my auto, life, etc. I had tried them before and they would even give me a quote. But after a couple of months and no success going other routes I thought I'd give them another shot, all they could say was no, right?

My Bodily Injury Liability is $100k per person and $300k per accident, and my Property damage liability is $100k. I've got full replacement on the car and $1,000 deductible. Why would you have such a low deductable? If you and I both got in a wreck you pay no deduct but have paid $4grr in premium; I pay $1Grr in deduct but $970 in premium.

$100/$300 for uninsured motorist, towing, rental etc. I also have a $2mm umbrella I pay $200 a year for. The viper is only $662 a year so combined I pay $1,632 a year ($816 every 6 months). Thanks for asking because I just notice they're billing me semi-annually; I'm going to see if it will be even cheaper if I pay all at once.

Happy shopping! :)

Oh, and love the screen name! :lol

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Spirit said:
Personally; I am getting tired of these types of threads.
Who Cares?

Ditto. I don't need any psychoanalysis on why I want a car or what I use it for. :lol

I'll be busy hauling ass somewhere (until it snows). :cheers

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
All AMG's drop value like rocks. My 130K 2003 CL55 had less than 20K miles on it, and I only got $52K when I traded it in. The SL55 is the best one out of them all though when it comes to resale. While I do not see the GT's value dropping under $100K, I think it will hit the low $100's in the next 10 years, and then going back up. As I have stated before, one of my kids will get it. I will just add others to my stable when I feel I need something else.

OzGT said:
One of the reasons I justified getting a GT was the amount I was losing on my overpriced(in this country) SL55. In the space of 2 years it's dropped(by $US75k) to slightly below($US11k) the current lease payout value, something I can no longer stomach. At least with GT it will be better value and from everyone I've talked to here(including car dealer friends), be rare and desirable enough not to devalue at that kind of rate. I don't care what it's value does in 5 years time, but I would like to see some stability in the short term just for piece of mind's sake.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Yeah Dave, I did that analysis for DickHead to prove a point, and everyone wants the best deal on insurance. However I'd still love this car and every minute with it even if I was paying $5 large a year for the dadgum insurance!

Couple of grand one way or another either for insurance or replacing some bolt is no big deal in the overall scheme of things. If it is, one needs to look around and see what the real problems in the world are!

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Wow ... lots of bantering back an forth on price appreciation/depreciation. I think the basis for the discussion is somewhat of a moot point for most owners. Earlier in this thread there was a statement made starting with "Once the very rich tire of their Ford GTs, .." In my humble opinion, therein lies the problem with the tenor of the discussion. Poor, rich, very rich, or whatever, I would venture to say that most of us will not "tire" of the GT. Given how unique the vehicle is, how much history is behind it, and the passion of most buyers, I suspect the acquisition decision for the vast majority of us has much more to do with emotion than potential price fluxuation.

Nonetheless, it is kinda fun to watch some of you get wound up! :wink :wink :wink

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
ROCMAN said:
All AMG's drop value like rocks. My 130K 2003 CL55 had less than 20K miles on it, and I only got $52K when I traded it in. The SL55 is the best one out of them all though when it comes to resale. While I do not see the GT's value dropping under $100K, I think it will hit the low $100's in the next 10 years, and then going back up. As I have stated before, one of my kids will get it. I will just add others to my stable when I feel I need something else.

Yeah very true re MB's, but the big difference is cost to begin with. Hey, if your CL55 was in the area of $US115k or so new then sure $US50k+ is a lot to drop in 3 years but try doubling that on one here where you'd lose $US102k. Take this one that a dealer I know well is selling with all of 2.5k miles on it: Link , or another example of an '04 w/ 7k miles where you'd still drop $US95k, both of which would have set the owners back a similar amount to this new one($US283k!): Link . To think my own SL55 has only 4.3k miles on it and pristine as they come but I'll be lucky to get out of it owing the bank less than $US15k after the lease is paid out. With a potential $75k down the drain in just over 2 years you can probably see where I'd be a tad unhappy and very much over the AMG thing...

So I hit reset and start again with the GT :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Without wanting to get too far off topic, it is a shame that the prices have fallen so dramatically on the SL55's. I have two friends who have been stung on this car - however, as a 'used' car, they are, of course, superb value. You get a lot of car (a lot of very clever car) for your money.

Having had several Jaguars, I know the feeling well. My last XKR cost roughly $150k and, after 3 years was part exchanged (in mint condition) for just $60k. :ack

Bentley's are just as bad. I went into a London showroom a couple of years back and was rather taken with an Azure - mine for only $500k. I explained that whilst not limited by any particular budget, it was, perhaps, over the emotional/financial hurdle- did they have any mint condition, hardly driven examples? "oh yes, for about $200k"!! Yikes!!!

Someone here put forward a very good rationale that one should view cars like a fine holiday - enjoy them and damn the cost!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
There is no loss of value

OK.

I'll put an end to this thread.

The discussion centered on the potential residual value of the GT.

Well, as I see it, everything costs. So I buy a GT, meet great new friends, go to the rally of the century, enjoy the hell out of driving it, and even enjoy just looking at it and having sit in my garage. The decline (be it 10K or 100K) in value is what that privaledge costs. So did I loose money on the GT? No. I just spent money on my and my families happiness. Like having a fine dinner or a vacation - or a GT. Everything costs. So if it declines, that is what the tab was. If it goes up, then the tab was on the house. Obviously on the house is better, but I am prepared to pick up the tab.

Nuf said.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
:biggrin

Sounds about right to me! :cheers