GT Pricing Where will it go?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
cars are like vacations, great fun, not investments, if it happens you make money so be it.

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
eshrink said:
There are 295,734,134 people in the U.S.

Less than 4,000 will ever have the opportunity to own a Ford GT.

I do not think anyone needs more exclusivity than that.

- doc
I dont know where you got those statistics, but I'm sure theres a whole lot more multimillionaires than that... a whole lot more. you really "only" have to have a million dollars to afford this car, its not an Enzo or Veyron.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Wow...I wish I had a million bucks. You don't need that much to afford this car. I am no business person...but I have never viewed cars as real monetary investments. Now, you can argue that they are investments nevertheless, even if it is just for your "soul". As I have learned, there is a lot of experience and wisdom on the website regarding cars and the purchase of cars. Many people here own more than 1 exotic. It seems in my opinion that if you put enough miles on any car, it will depreciate. The used F-cars that I have seen that have been marked up or at MSRP were low mileage cars. A 355 with 20K miles will take a hit when it is sold. But then again, why do most owners purchase such cars? I know that I purchased mine for the "soul" factor, because it gives me great satisfaction to drive such a work of art and technology as the Ford GT. If one day I decide to depart with it and I happen to lose money,then so be it...it would have still been a sound "investment" in my happiness.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Fords4life351 said:
I dont know where you got those statistics, but I'm sure theres a whole lot more multimillionaires than that... a whole lot more. you really "only" have to have a million dollars to afford this car, its not an Enzo or Veyron.

The "4000" came from the number of cars that have been built (exactly 4038 I believe)...not the number of millionaires. Therefore, not being a mathematician, but based on very complex calculational analysis, I would assume that there only will be about 4038 people at any given time who will actually own this car (excluding co-owners, etc.).

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
Cyclenirvana said:
The "4000" came from the number of cars that have been built (exactly 4038 I believe)...not the number of millionaires. Therefore, not being a mathematician, but based on very complex calculational analysis, I would assume that there only will be about 4038 people at any given time who will actually own this car (excluding co-owners, etc.).

my mistake, I read Eshrink's comment as one that implied there were only that many people who could afford it, I see what he meant now.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Cyclenirvana said:

Since it seems some own two GT's, the number will be smaller than that.

I was wondering about the "unsold" dealer cars. I would guess that some of the dealers probably intend to keep a few of these for themselves, and probably are just not registering them as sales. Any thoughts on that?

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Prices of GTs

bony said:
sez who.... :bored all rear engine F cars except the limited edition GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo prices have gone upside down... 360F1 are going in nice but used condition for under $100k every day... when the new 560 (or whatever it will be called) stand back as the prices crash. If you want to speculate, buy one off oil paintings, seriously, or rare collector wines (not Kendall Jackson) but LePin, Petrus, Harlan, Screaming Eagle, Coligin etc...

Here are the 2004 facts: 1% of family incomes in US equal or exceed around $328K annually. 5% equal or exceed around $137K annually (that includes the aforementioned 1%). 50% of the families with positive AGI made $30K or less per year. Median family income is around $47K. Average net worth of individuals is about $55K, which includes home equity. College grad starting salaries have dropped by nearly 4+ per cent in the past three years; don't see much initial interest there. Nearly 1/3 of college grads make less than $19K per year. Once the very rich tire of their Ford GTs, who can afford them without a significant drop in price? Unless the international market of newly rich picks up interest, not many in the US will be buyers. Decent insurance on one of these cars costs around $4000 per year. The Corvette ZR-1 which listed at $65K, plus tax and license, can be had today with miles on them for as low as $16-17K. Own your car because you love it; drive it because to return the cost of money today (around 8%), it would have to appreciate more than $12,000 per year...don't count on it. Investment?...not likely in the short term.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
why has it come down to dollars :confused

i thought people brought the GT because they loved the car not to make
a quick buck.

don't care if it falls to 50k it is still worth a million in the heart

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
W

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Jasper, you're right - and it's a sentiment that has been expressed on this Forum many times. Many owners here don't give a damn what the GT might be worth in 4 years time (or anytime) - it's a car that they always wanted, and that's the end of it.

There is mild pleasure in knowing it has a value only because we can claim to be smart buyers!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I shall try again; set aside your college and grad school econ, analytic geometry and stochastic processes educations. This is straight forward divison:
a. U.S. Population = 295,734,134
b. 3656 Ford GTs were made for the U.S. market
c. (plus 277 for Canada and 105 for Europe).
Assuming for a moment, that the U.S. cars remain in America, assuming for a moment that the European and Canadian cars do not come back to America. and assuming that all cars are sold and none are destroyed.

Then:

1. at most 3656 people of the 295,734,134 in American could own a GT (a ratio of 0.000012+)
2. if one or more individuals own more than on GT this number (ratio) becomes smaller
4. At most .0012% of the American Population can ever own a 2005-2006 Ford GT

Q.E.D. ownership of a Ford GT is, by its limited production numbers, a very exclusive/limited group in America.

Since the population will grow, and the number of cars existing will shrink, that ratio becomes smaller over time.

- doc

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
richardhead said:
Decent insurance on one of these cars costs around $4000 per year.

You need to shop around! :biggrin

I do agree with your other points though...

...And let's not forget Mr. RM who owns EIGHT GTs! (I think there is a spaniard who does as well. Thus the number of cars/owners plummets...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
BigsGT said:
You need to shop around! :biggrin

Ditto. My insurance is $200 more a year than it was for my 51k C5 Z06.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PL510*Jeff said:

more than that in my case... :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
eshrink said:
I shall try again; set aside your college and grad school econ, analytic geometry and stochastic processes educations. This is straight forward divison:

- doc
:bang :bang :slap :slap :troll :troll :smash :smash :troll :troll :slap :slap :bang

Leaving for vacation, back on the 31st. wonder if this bull shit thread will still be alive?

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
richardhead said:
Here are the 2004 facts: 1% of family incomes in US equal or exceed around $328K annually. 5% equal or exceed around $137K annually (that includes the aforementioned 1%). 50% of the families with positive AGI made $30K or less per year. Median family income is around $47K. Average net worth of individuals is about $55K, which includes home equity. College grad starting salaries have dropped by nearly 4+ per cent in the past three years; don't see much initial interest there. Nearly 1/3 of college grads make less than $19K per year. Once the very rich tire of their Ford GTs, who can afford them without a significant drop in price? Unless the international market of newly rich picks up interest, not many in the US will be buyers. Decent insurance on one of these cars costs around $4000 per year. The Corvette ZR-1 which listed at $65K, plus tax and license, can be had today with miles on them for as low as $16-17K. Own your car because you love it; drive it because to return the cost of money today (around 8%), it would have to appreciate more than $12,000 per year...don't count on it. Investment?...not likely in the short term.

what does this have to do with anything? There is a big difference between income and wealth. Go back to your stats and tell me how many millionaires there are in just the US alone. Make sure you look at the actual number of people......there are ALOT of millionaires out there. Keep in mind that this number is constantly growing as there are now many more "rich" than ever in our history both as a percentage of the population and as a total. So much for all the doom and gloom.

I did think that comment about the "very rich" getting tired of thier GTs was comical. Can't wait to see Oprahs GT go up for sale.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
bony said:
:bang :bang :slap :slap :troll :troll :smash :smash :troll :troll :slap :slap :bang

Leaving for vacation, back on the 31st. wonder if this bull shit thread will still be alive?
Now's my chance to catch up to ya! :biggrin :lol :banana
Have a good time brotha! :cheers

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
jasper said:
why has it come down to dollars :confused

i thought people brought the GT because they loved the car not to make
a quick buck.

Because some spectator decided to stir up the barn by asking questions about prices. Then, the ignorant individual decided to insult my man BONY. Big mistake in my opinion. I assume he is the kind of quack that likes to bug the individuals in there exotics on the freeway!!! Just a thought. And this is why we are here... We are all right!!!! No one is wrong!!! and we all have our own opinion... God Bless America.. This is just a recap.. I'll post my "RIGHT" opinion later :lol :rofl

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
So here is my opinion... and yes... no one asked for it...

Biggest difference I think that seperates the GT owner from all of the other exotics is what it represents. I was out with friends last night and gave a friend of mine a ride... She asked, "Why this car and not a Lambo.. or Ferrari?" I told her, "Because it is American made and it doesn't screem... I have something to prove!!!" UNDERSTAND???

No offense to the guys here that have the other exotics... because you guys are true gents I assume.... But the regular guy who doesn't make a 6 figure or 7 figure income wants one of these GT's.. and infact there are guys on this forum like that "Thank God" and we all get along and all have this bond because of a great American made Automobile... The individual who started this thread.... long gone by now (hopefully) :rofl J/K you are still here, right? There for, not only are we truly exclusive by owning this vehicle, but we are truly exclusive on a social status tooo!! UNDERSTAND??? We have all realms of income-profession on this site and we socialize with one another like we're equals.. Well, we are all equals.. and I wish more people understood that!! Get it Mr. Spectator guy who started this thread? Yeah, you!! This buds for you Mr. thread starter guy :eek

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
tmstunts#1233 said:
So here is my opinion... and yes... no one asked for it...

Biggest difference I think that seperates the GT owner from all of the other exotics is what it represents. I was out with friends last night and gave a friend of mine a ride... She asked, "Why this car and not a Lambo.. or Ferrari?" I told her, "Because it is American made and it doesn't screem... I have something to prove!!!" UNDERSTAND???

No offense to the guys here that have the other exotics... because you guys are true gents I assume.... But the regular guy who doesn't make a 6 figure or 7 figure income wants one of these GT's.. and infact there are guys on this forum like that "Thank God" and we all get along and all have this bond because of a great American made Automobile... The individual who started this thread.... long gone by now (hopefully) :rofl J/K you are still here, right? There for, not only are we truly exclusive by owning this vehicle, but we are truly exclusive on a social status tooo!! UNDERSTAND??? We have all realms of income-profession on this site and we socialize with one another like we're equals.. Well, we are all equals.. and I wish more people understood that!! Get it Mr. Spectator guy who started this thread? Yeah, you!! This buds for you Mr. thread starter guy :eek
Right on, Tim!