GT Guy's Atlanta trip Wrap-up

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Rich and Denis spent Sat and Sun doing some wonderful work on several GT's. The GT Guys are soooo meticulous, methodical, knowledgeable and talented and just good guys. In addition to doing lots of mods, they found and corrected lots of problems from both the factory and dealers who had worked on some of the cars...mostly little things that can cause big problems and lots of bolts and screws missing or loose.

We had 7 GT's: 2 Heritage, 2 Tungsten, 2 Blue and a White. All 7 cars had custom SCT dyno tunes by Jerry Wroblewski of Ford and SCT Fame.

One totally stock GT was tuned to 559/514. 2 other stock with cat back cars did 557/497 and 552/511 (maybe the stock muffler cars make more power than the cat back cars :frown :banana :frown). 3 pulley/cat back cars did 599/567, 600/566 and 603/584 and one with a pulley and headers did 619/587.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am suprised that a pulley with tune is less than 50 hp more than a tune alone. Do you know what size pulley was used?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The SCT Custom Tune was 3 for 3 in taking stock cars over 550HP with conservative tunes :banana :biggrin :banana One of those cars was baselined at under 500HP. Two of us had Heffner pulleys installed. When we found out the Whipple would not fit on my X1, the GT Guys had a spare Heffner pulley they installed. I don't know what size. The 3rd car had a Kenne Bell Pulley. Again, I don't know the size. We all made about the same power (600 HP) and 2 of us started out with pre-pulley baselines of 475 and 485 HP, so we were happy with the results, and the cars are safe.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
What He Said

I echo what Kirby said. The GT Guys are really amazing and I appreciate the time and care they took with all of the cars. Great Job!!! The tuning was great as well. Jerry does great work, although he did give Kirby 6 more HP than the rest of us. You gotta love it when someone knows what their doing.

For those of you in the Atlanta area we have finally found a Ford Dealer that understands this car and us!!!!!!! Team Ford in Marietta hosted the event and could not have been better. They have two techs that specialize in the GT as well as supercharged mustangs. They understand the cars and the unique requirements that they bring. I will be bringing mine there for service from now on.

Don:thumbsup

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
What was the temp when doing the dyno?
Did you all have the intake tube stiffener?
Anyone have the Accufab TB?

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Atlanta

Those of us that only got 600 RWHP were done in the heat of the day, probably mid 80's. The one that got the 606 was done later in the day probably mid 70's.

I have the "Stiffener", sounds dirty don't it?

There was a GT that produced 618 in the heat of the day. He had long tube headers, Kenne Bell snout and pulley, Ford Racing Exhaust and the Accufab
throttle body.

My understanding is that the throttle body does not add HP, but does make the car more responsive. Have I got that right???

Don:thumbsup

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
My car baselined at 499.2RWHP and 475TQ. After three dyno runs and nothing more than an Accufab pipe and a tune, my car dynoed 552RWHP and 511TQ.

Kirby and I debated much the incremental value of a pulley and it's associted cost for an additional 50RWHP.

One thing for sure, hearing Don's and Kirby's car (as well as mine) shrieking on the dyno was intoxicating. By the way, Jerry of SCT says the 5.4 Liter motor was tested by Ford for 600hrs at both Max HP RPM and Max TQ RPM before being released for production.

E

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
Unfortunately I was not present during the great event but my Heritage was in the trusted hands of Kirby, Don, the GT Guys, Jerry and Scott and Jason of Marietta Ford.
I had the weakest car they ever tested on the dyno. I knew something was wrong when several cars passed me at Road Atlanta and Don was pulling me out of the turns with his Rice Beater (RX-7 350 rwhp). I had a Fatcatfabricators exhaust and I was shooting orange flames on the straights so I figured I was running rich on the top end.
The figures came in at 475 rwhp & 456 lbs. of torque. With the pully we all have 2.75" 15 lbs. of boost and Jerry's terrific tune, I ended up with 599.1 rwhp and 567.2 lbs. of torque. The numbers are impressive but the pull is increadible. At 2600 rpm the torque was 400 lbs. after the tune it was about 525 lbs. Jerry also gave us three settings on the computer stock, 93 octane, and 100 octane when we are at the track. He also said that he could tune the car to be safe with 93 octane and the 2 5/8 pully 16.5 lbs of boost.
I feel like it is a different car.
Flash :cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Welcome back Russ. I go out every evening around 7 or 7:30 pm. Lets meet up and have some fun.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have the "Stiffener"....

It happens to the best of us when we're around a GT at full tilt on the dyno. Rgeradless of the thickness of the concrete - you can feel the ground shaking. It's hard not to get the stiffener.