Go Pro Mounting Points

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Those of you with GoPro cameras know that audio quality from the camera mic is unacceptable at anything above 25-30 mph. All you hear is wind noise. I'm surprised this hasn't been resolved, but apparently wind noise is always an issue even with pro equipment.

I bought an external mic and tested it for the first time today. Here's a video, which shows the camera mounting point, how I routed and mounted the external mic, and then some clips while driving.

I can say that while wind noise can still be heard, it is reduced dramatically. Essentially, it's what you hear while driving with the windows open. The exhaust sound is pretty good. And, the mic picks up cabin sound clearly as well. You can hear the turn signal clicking, shifter going into first gear, and so on. You can also hear (and almost feel) the brake pads breaking free from the rotors...first drive after washing the car yesterday.

I think this is a viable solution, particularly if you want to include your own voice narrative, or do a Seinfeld-like dialog with a companion.

I'd like to figure out mic cord routing from the rear license plate area, but frankly, I'm hoping someone else will figure it out and post the solution.

A shout out to bonehead for his patience and assistance in getting me over the GoPro learning curve.

This is the mic I got for $3.61 including shipping: http://www.dx.com/p/dagee-dg-001-mi...gclid=CKXuyIzF-sACFSbl7Aod0zMAYg#.VCMVK010yw4

Be sure to click "HD" and listen on decent speakers.

[video=youtube_share;kUNFJoWkbUY]http://youtu.be/kUNFJoWkbUY[/video]

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Nice job Gary.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks good. For an exhaust mic, I think you can bring a cord from the rear through the shifter cable grommets.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Nice job, Gary. See, no reason for you old folks to be afraid of technology. :lol

Looks good. For an exhaust mic, I think you can bring a cord from the rear through the shifter cable grommets.

Have been trying to think of a good and most hassle-free way of routing the mic cable from the rear grill, through the engine bay and into the cabin. Removing the center console to get through the bulkhead seems to be the only way to do it. That's a tremendous pain in and of itself. But then that leaves the potential problem of engine bay temps melting the cable?? Not sure if it gets hot enough to do that, but I'm sure it's close. Can anyone recommend a good insulator that can be used to wrap the cable and not be so bulky?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yeah, well, catheters are technology too and I am deathly afraid. Just shoot me. Figure it out Ed, I'm counting on you.

I'm thinking, these external mics are so tiny and cheap, you could permanently install several, permitting plug and play from different camera mounting positions.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Regarding the microphone cable, I don't think engine bay heat would be a problem, but you could always shield the cable with a heat resistant wire loom (look at your EGR tube sleeve for an example).

Also, what about a wireless GoPro microphone?

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Regarding the microphone cable, I don't think engine bay heat would be a problem, but you could always shield the cable with a heat resistant wire loom.

Also, what about a wireless GoPro microphone?

There isn't a GoPro specific wireless mic available, but I'm sure there's one out there that could possibly be adapted to work. Haven't looked into it. Potential issue there is sound quality. I can't imagine the fidelity of a wireless mic could match that of a hardwired cable. Although picking up subtle frequencies probably isn't necessary when all you're recording is the "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" of the exhaust:)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You don't need a microphone Ed, you can simply add subtitles to your video. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The only "wireless" option I know of is a separate audio recorder. Then you have to sync audio and video in post.

This is all too involved and complicated. Looking for the one button solution.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Great video Gary! Nice, simple solution for the mic.

Finish on the car looks fantastic! What have you got on it? Garage looking good too. I guess we know what you do with your spare time.

I never could get my GoPro set up at NOLA. Would you give me a hand in Vegas?

Thanks

Bill

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Bill, I will help anyway I can.

Pro tip. Don't ever rely on photos. My paint is in need of professional detailing.

See you soon!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'm surprised that no one has commented yet....., NICE SHOES, dude!!