Go Pro Mounting Points

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
I will be attending a track day at Texas World Speedway this weekend, with the Porsche Club of America. I will be taking my 2012 911S (991 Gen), however, I don't know where to mount my Go Pro. I have seen lots of Go Pro videos with awkward camera angles and terrible wind noise. I have a suction cup mount so I can place it anywhere on the car. I may even mount it to my helmet for a POV angle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Your fellow car enthusiast ,
Hunter

P.S. Dont worry, the GT gets its fair share of love ;)
1265120_436541369795060_83346300_o.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Go Pro has such info for camera placement on cars. The lower the better.

Some of the best videos, to me anyway, cameras are outside mounted just behind front wheel.

Wind noise can be reduced with a remote mic.

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
Go Pro has such info for camera placement on cars. The lower the better.

Some of the best videos, to me anyway, cameras are outside mounted just behind front wheel.

Wind noise can be reduced with a remote mic.

A remote mic by the exhaust tips could sound pretty wicked!

JustinLapriore

Videographer
Apr 22, 2013
Seattle, WA
Mix it up! There is no need to keep it in one spot for the whole time. We (the guys who are going to make the film at Rally9) have stuck GoPros anywhere they can be stuck to a car, and some of the best shots were happy accidents, or places we didn't think would work out well. That being said, if you are going to move the camera around, make sure that you shoot up high on the car first and not behind the wheel on the side (which I agree is a fantastic angle) unless you have a lens replacement kit handy. The road debris coming off the tire will sand blast the lens on the case and the rest of your shots that day will look like s***. Best thing to do is to spend some time in the garage, placing the camera on the car and using the GoPro app to align your shots, see which ones you like and remember them for track day. Make sure the mounting spot is clean (we even use isopropyl 70% wipes sometimes to clean the mounting spot), shoot at a high frame rate to avoid the 'jelly effect' and don't necessarily keep the camera in widest angle mode the whole time, the medium and narrow angles can be effective as well (and they are less fisheye and more 'cinematic').

Hope this helps out, I/we are truly looking forward to meeting all of you in Vegas and making an awesome little film.

If you shoot a bunch of angles and want it edited, I can do that. If you have any more questions and feel like emailing me, I'm always happy to chat. Justin@LetsMakeMedia.com

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Micover on amazon to reduce wind noise. Put a GP on top of rear bumper near exhaust, sounds great. Use the sticky flat mounts that come with the GP.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
I have settled on this view for most of my video. This is my Ariel Atom, but this placement should work out about the same for most any car, I would think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwrvqj8TvN8&feature=em-upload_owner

With this placement, you can see the driver, footwork, track, and the cars you pass.

Eddie

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I have settled on this view for most of my video. This is my Ariel Atom, but this placement should work out about the same for most any car, I would think.

With this placement, you can see the driver, footwork, track, and the cars you pass.

Eddie

WOW! Eight decades of trophys!! Awesome stuff Eddie!!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great Video Eddie, best camera angle I've seen. Total run is very visible. What else would you want to see?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Eddie

:eek:eek:eek Did anything at all pass YOU at anytime during the day??????????!!! If so, WHAT?!

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
WOW! Eight decades of trophys!! Awesome stuff Eddie!!

Thank you. It IS fun trying to learn new things.

Eddie

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Great Video Eddie, best camera angle I've seen. Total run is very visible. What else would you want to see?

Thanks, I like this angle the best of all I've tried. It shows everything I care to see-

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
:eek:eek:eek Did anything at all pass YOU at anytime during the day??????????!!! If so, WHAT?!

Neither my wife Ercie nor I remember anyone passing me that day, and we have been #1 qualifier and won the open wheel final- but sometimes a Formula Mazda race car gets by, and I can't keep up with him. I carry license plates on my Atoms, and I don't recall anything else with a license plate passing me in the eight years I've been trying to learn to turn corners.

I did find out at my very first road race, that nobody would stop and wait for me to pack my chute after slowing down for turn one, so I'm having to learn to use wheel brakes AND steer around corners! Very complicated for an old retired Top Fuel pilot!

But Big Fun!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Truly remarkable achievements, Eddie. :thumbsup:thumbsup

BTW, You're not "old". You're a young adult with decades of experience! :lol

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
'Truly remarkable achievements, Eddie. :thumbsup:thumbsup

BTW, You're not "old". You're a young adult with decades of experience! :lol

Thanks, Pockets. I love that "young adult with decades of experience". I may try to rent that from you-

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I wish the 77 year olds in Florida would drive like that when I'm trying to get to work.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
For the gt I tried a go pro on the bulkhead glass, but not a good view, in addition to the contrast issues, the narrow windshield etc, it didn't work. I suctioned it to the windshield about where the rear view mirror is.

Perfect placement for the atom. Open sides, and no roof.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
For the gt I tried a go pro on the bulkhead glass, but not a good view, in addition to the contrast issues, the narrow windshield etc, it didn't work. I suctioned it to the windshield about where the rear view mirror is.

Perfect placement for the atom. Open sides, and no roof.

Bulkhead glass is great, IMO. I enjoy the cockpit POV vids the most as opposed to cameras mounted on the front bumper or roof which only show pavement rushing by. Contrast issues are easily fixed by turning on spot metering. 1080p wide angle on the 3+ gives a very wide POV. Only issue is the poor sound. Still trying to figure out a clean way to route the external mic cable to the back over the exhaust.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I did find out at my very first road race, that nobody would stop and wait for me to pack my chute after slowing down for turn one, so I'm having to learn to use wheel brakes AND steer around corners! Very complicated for an old retired Top Fuel pilot!

But Big Fun!

hahahha, good one.

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
Where I installed my GoPro.

Show starts at 3:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8XvsQ6F_G0

JustinLapriore

Videographer
Apr 22, 2013
Seattle, WA