GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gimme another case of gauges!

Gentlemen,

For the first two years I owned my Ford GT I did not keep it on any type of charger whatsoever and I never had any problems despite letting it sit sometimes for more than a month without starting it. One day I inadvertently left it with the ignition on for several days and drained the original battery to what I thought would be certain and complete death. To my surprise, that original battery charged right back up and I have been using it now for an additional two years. This last two years I have kept my car on a battery tender all the time. Six months ago my fuel gauge failed. Luckily, all of the gauges for the Ford GT are plentiful and cheap! :ack :bored

Chip

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I dont want to do a "No" or "Drive Often" b/c 90+% will be in that category.

Want to zero in on exact breakdown among the 2-3% that are having this issue; as the dozen gauge failure posts in 2009 seem to have some common elements:

-Car sitting/storage
-chargers failing
-Battery issues
-Frame attachment point / sanding needed

We should have min 12 votes and maybe 24, as thats how many thread starts I counted since 2007

Last edited:

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
I keep the charger on when ever she is home. The gas gauge is sometimes funky for about an hour after fueling, otherwise, so far no problems.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
no useage of any charger and NO gauge issues.:thumbsup

I say again----Get 'em outta the garage and drive them. Often.

I know, I know it's winter, and certain areas it's a must that the cars go into 6 months of hibernation.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
no useage of any charger...

Of COURSE not! That would require the car to be STATIONARY long enough to attach one!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
PM'd 24 posters who had gauge issues...hopefully they will vote

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Were is the "no" response? Once last month, filled up, guage was where it was before I filled up. Before I had a chance to really think about it, was working normal again. I use a deltran.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I use the car 2-3 days/month; kept on a trickle charger at all other times. Fuel gauge recently failed. Service appt. on Tuesday. I'm getting a sense that the gauges used in the GT are lacking in quality (I wanted to say junk but managed to contain the sarcasm).

Update - Diagnosed as faulty fuel gauge; $1000 repair. Also, negative battery cable connection on the frame was cleaned quite a long time ago.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I have two 2006 GT's one gets driven alot (Tungsten Car ). No battery or gauge issues with this car. Just turned 3 years since I received her !!

The other (Red Car ) does not get driven to much. It sits with the Ford Battery tender on. I have two gages out in the Red car. ( Volt meter and boost gage) this car still has a few months of warranty so I will take it in soon.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I keep her stored in the garage, on a BT charger for varying periods of time (1 week - 2 months w/o driving). I had a one-time problem with the gas gauge not registering right after a fill-up, but it corrected itself within hours. Now however I appear to have a dead voltmeter. Everything else is working fine. I've not yet examined the ground, but plan to.

I keep the charger on when ever she is home. The gas gauge is sometimes funky for about an hour after fueling, otherwise, so far no problems.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I think the only guage I have not replaces is the volt meter.....also had to replace the control module......$5K....my car was out of warranty after they had replaced several gueages under warranty. They told me this was the problem all along. I fussed about the price and they split it with me...$2500 for that small box ??? I just replaced the boost guage $640 + labor....I have 15000 miles on my car and drive it twice a week...

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My boost guage failed last year, but it was in October. That is after about 7 months of driving on average every ten days.

The needle stuck in the highest boost value. My bet is the return spring popped off.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've had my '05 for over 4 years. It has about 7500 miles and still has the original battery. I keep it on a Battery Tender hooked up directly to the battery. The Ford charger never seemed to work through the cigarette lighter. I let it go dead one time and charged it back up with the Tender.

I've never had any gauge problems of any kind. The '06 is about 3 years old with 2500 miles on it and I am happy to say the same about it.

They'll probably all fail tomorrow. I shouldn't have posted this.:ack

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
My boost gauge failed on my car at around 14k miles. It stuck in the full boost position. Shadowman did the replacement. I was not using a battery tender at that time.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Any recent experience / updates?

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
I'm waiting to hear back from Ford's SVT customer service because my GT is at dealer with a dead tach. The woman I spoke to said she was unaware of any tach or speedo problems related to the GT's.
Frustrating. Even more so if the black box is the culprit. If I have to replace other gagues in the future for this exact reason, then I'll be really annoyed. Unfortunately, my car is 4 months out of warranty.
She did say the $3000+ tach will be covered for 12 months after replacement.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Seriously, at $5000 for the "Black Box", $3000 for a tach +++ then have it fail again. This is nutz!!

Being an old "Hot Rodder", I will analog wire replacement Autometer Guages across the board.

It would also seem that the original guage face could be used with analog "guts".

Wah-da-ya-think?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Any recent failures?

44 does not seem to reflect all the commentary in the 300+ post on Tachs.

If we get an accurate vote, maybe we can email Jamal or others.