garage info

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
Hi guys,

I haven't posted in a while and am not sure if this is the correct place to ask for info & input, but here goes. I am in the process of building a new garage (80'x40') and would like input, pictures, ideas etc. on how to finish the interior,
paint schemes, lighting, flooring, signs or whatever other ideas you may have. I am going for a fairly classy look as the garage will include a wet bar, big screen TV etc.

Any ideas or input will be greatly appreciated. (and yes my tungsten GT will have center stage)

Thanks - Stacy

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Just make sure you provide a rotating platform for the GT. That way you don't have to worry about backing out of the garage, just spin the car around and drive out forward. :biggrin

Richard Hille
The GT School

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Flooring

Race Deck flooring a must....

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
multiple lifts and air conditioning.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Cart girls like at a golf course?:cheers

Use the new energy efficient garage doors. keeps the heat and aircondition inside!!!

Larry

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
See if DBTGT will forward pics. I think his shop is about that size.

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
Go here www.garagejournal.com check out the forum. More than enough info for building and decorating a garage.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
After building my own "dreamgarage" I have two things you should make top priority:

* If you do not make it a cosy and "warm" place, you will only use it for parking your car - not a place you hang out.

* If you do not want to spend most of your time cleaning the floor, do not choose matte black tiles - which I did. Looks great when clean ....

Check out the many pictures in different garage threads - some of the guys here have them most amazing garages:thumbsup

:cheers
Anders

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Great idea....I have seen couple of hundred pics of showcase garages in some recent books and in many posts on Ferrari chat and Corvette Forum, among others.

Many people end up throwing up some neon, tool chests, shelves, and a rug/budget couch/stools that dont seem well planned/used.

The main test is would you enjoy spending hours there AND could you host a 'car night' for buddies/gals who would want to stay v. escape gear, musty fumes.

Some folks do a barn/lodge theme; others a NASCAR pit, a vintage collector showcase or VIP Winners Circle Club

I would focus on combining at most 3-4 areas in the space with focus on a theme, utility, and enjoyment

-Car area
-Memorabilia/Gallery Area
-Social/Bar Area

I have been working on mine for 3 summers and have converted a 20x20 (its NY) basement / laundry room / 1 car garage (budget under $5000)...its pretty unique..its not even done & I have to kick visitors out.

-Strcuture: drywall, insulate and make sure you connect heat, a/c, plenty electrical
-Car Flooring: "U-coat" it, or a race deck, or tile: checkerboard or cobble-stone style
-Social-area: flooring Engineered wood floor over underlayment over sub-floor (see cozy)
-Storage: locker or chest for tools, covers, chargers, oil/fluid, wax/towels, parts, booze, ammo....lots of clearance from car!

>Car Area
----------

I went with a Le Mans 'Pit Stop' theme: hung 20+ flags/banners of Manufacturers / Sponsors / Race circuits that GT raced on from Goodyear, to Gulf, to Sebring. They are all 3'x5' an can be bought for $20 online/eaby. Other ideas are actual metal signs, neon and lighted signs which are nice but pricey.

>Memorabilia / Gallery
---------------------

-Recessed lighting

-I ordered some large (3'x5') framed vintage Formula 1 / LeMans posters and hung them along 1 wall to create a racing gallery. Giclee repros are nice and about $175/ea. On other walls I got 12 large wood frames w. matt. from Pottery Barn and framed photos of every car I have owned and vintage family rides. I laser printed some B&W/Color GT pics as well. Used all same sized black frames and when lined up it looks like a photography collection. Frames were $20/ea., pics free.

-My Brother created a built-in oak wall unit with nautical style cabinets w/ inlaid flush brass hardware, shelves, desk and 42'' TV stand pre-wired w. dvd/cables/speakers. Shelves: GT models from 1:72 scale to 1:8; Heuer F1 clock helmet collection; trophies/plaques, old Bell Star Helmets in Yellow & Orange, small library of car books.

>Social Area: Bar w/wine cellar theme
------------------------------------

-Laid wood floor, with 3 piece side trim.
-Built Oak Bar Cabinet w/doors w. black granite top remnant; other piece to desk.
-Panelled Bar surround with Wine crate panels: all Grand Cru bordeaux or cool crests.
-SS Bar fridge under cabinet; $150.
-Black & Steel Le Corbusier LC2 Cube Club Chairs...colors/style same as GT interior. Very tight, can be arranged arround for drinks or lined up for movies or race day.
-Cigar humidor chest, ice bucket, shaker, etc.
-Poker table/chairs

I basically created a home depot/mini-version of those million $ garages in the books. They all had the same 3-4 themes: the visual history of the marques; tools for utility, preservation, use of the car, and areas to enjoy motoring friends and lifestyle.

The test is I just enjoy stepping out of the GT, pouring an ice cold Heineken and listening to the GT exhaust crackle while it cools down, and heat wafts in a few feet away....priceless.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Kayvan, you got all that in a 20x20??? You are the 'packaging' hero!!!!:thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Any ideas or input will be greatly appreciated. (and yes my tungsten GT will have center stage)

Send an e-mail to Jay Leno :thumbsup

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
I'm thinking camoflage bushes that separate while the door rolls up so you can drive out. And of course the Batman theme cues up at the same time.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
yeah its really cozy...like a boats stateroom/galley...evey corner has something going on...and its ALL car guy...your eyes never get a rest.

I keep having to throw out my next door neighbor.

My brother did all the work...he wants to throw me out.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Post some pictures!!!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
A 40'x80' garage. You lucky bastard.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OK, will do.

Completion date is est. 9/30....

as long as my brother doesnt strike or abscond with materials....the first set of wood flooring ended up in his sun room; and the granite/oak on a kitchen island/cabinet.

I got all this stuff so when I am 60 and have a 8 car garage in Newport Beach, I am all set, And wont have to redecorate....well maybe some more bar glasses.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
You can never have enough room. After building mine with a pool house, I felt I should have added more space. A friend of mine made the ultimate garage that is 2 story with a car elevator to the top floor. The luxury items are way too long to list.

John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can never have enough room...
John

+1

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
We can't wait til Sept 30!!! Well, I can't anyway. :wink Post up a few "in progress" pictures right now!!!
:thumbsup

OK, will do.

Completion date is est. 9/30....

as long as my brother doesnt strike or abscond with materials....the first set of wood flooring ended up in his sun room; and the granite/oak on a kitchen island/cabinet.

I got all this stuff so when I am 60 and have a 8 car garage in Newport Beach, I am all set, And wont have to redecorate....well maybe some more bar glasses.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
"ultimate garage that is 2 story with a car elevator to the top floor"

And I thought having a lift was special!!!:eek

Man that sounds incredible!!

Larry