Ford Racing Exhaust

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've got the Borla system. I like it. It is louder but you can still creep out of your neighborhood without getting pelted by rotting food from new mothers. The Borla comes alive at higher RPM but it is still quite next to some of the X-Pipe configuration.

I have heard many exhaust systems and this is the only one I would want on my car. As 06fordgt said... the relative loudness is based on what YOU expect to hear.

Good luck deciding. :biggrin

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Subjective Sounds

I have the Borla on my GT as well and completely agree with Mark above. It is louder than stock when you get into the throttle but stock quiet in the low RPM range. This is just what I wanted in my system. And they are all subjective as to what You want the car to sound like.

Frank points to the sticky on exhaust sounds we made at Rally I. You can get some idea of the sound differences. But his thought to wait until Rally III in Las Vegas would be an ideal opportunity to hear a multitude of different pairings each owner has struck on. If you can wait, that would give you the largest actual hearing selection available IMO.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Thanks man...I just want a more aggressive sound without blowing out anybody's hearing lol.

I strongly recommend the Heffner exhaust...as my goal was the same as yours, and I'm very happy.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
The cats also keep the air clean for the CARB smog Nazis. However I know of more than one owner that had some cat damage from driving aggressively. More likely to happen if you turns off COT (Cat over temp) protection. The tune has 3 switches that try to estimate the temperature of the exhaust manifold flange, O2 sensors and Cats. If any are believed to be to hot, the ECU overrides the A/F commanded and makes it very rich about 10:1 in an attemp to cool the compontents. Most aftermarket tunes have this feature turned off for more power. If you have your exhaust noise is getting louder, or you hear a rattling noise in your muffers, you may have some cat damage . . .

That's interesting stuff - thanks for posting it. I was wondering what the FRPP cat elimnators would do in combination with my Accufab x pipe. Right now it's about right noise wise with the factory cats and x-pipe. Anyone happy with that combo? I prefer not to spend the $1k plus the time to find out the cat eliminators are just like straight pipes. I understand how subjective this topic is but . . .

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That's interesting stuff - thanks for posting it. I was wondering what the FRPP cat elimnators would do in combination with my Accufab x pipe. Right now it's about right noise wise with the factory cats and x-pipe. Anyone happy with that combo? I prefer not to spend the $1k plus the time to find out the cat eliminators are just like straight pipes. I understand how subjective this topic is but . . .

I have the Heffner with the FRPP cat replacement pipes. It measured about 10 db louder at 4000 rpm! Once the car is warmed up at idle it is not bad, cruising is OK a small throttle openings, crusing at moderate throttle around 2000 to 2200 rpm, drone! At 3000 rpm up it sounds real sweet! Like you would expect a GT to sound like. I caution you that the only cars I have heard myself that are louder is a FRPP rear exit headers.

My guess on degrees of loudless, no data backing this up however.

1. Stainless Steel Works Headers (SSWH) no cats.
1. SSWH with Shadowman baffles.
2. FRPP rear exit headers.
3. SSWH with cats.
4. FRPP cat delete with cat back pipes.
5. SSWH with cats and baffles.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Do any of the systems allow all the stock sensors to be hooked up so you don't have a light flashng in your face on the dash?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe you are referring to the error you get for not having a properly function rear O2 sensor. You have a tune that turns that error code off, or install a rear modified rear o2 sensor with a resistor in it.

Aug 25, 2006
Ive had them on two GTs.Now sound better with both gts whippled.
Hey,Shadowman, Been trying to email you.

PM sent

All the best

Shadowman

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I strongly recommend the Heffner exhaust...as my goal was the same as yours, and I'm very happy.

+1

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I have taken the plunge and will be installing the accufab x pipe on the car in the next week or so. I will post a before and after video of the stock exhaust and accufab once done. I will give you my honest opinion. As stated earlier I was not satisified with the Ford racing exhaust for the sound I wanted. The car will have the accufab throttle body, insert support, tuned for 94 and Tony G's :thumbsuptune for the above. The only difference to the X pipe is that it will be ceramic coated. Looking forward to the end result.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Does anyone have the HP gains on just adding the X-pipe to the stock headers with Cats?
My concern with eliminating the cats are the flames. I watched a shiney GT go up in flames on the track when the driver acciddently hit the fob key and turned the ignition off then back on..Ka boom!:eek:eek and the flames caught the rear area on fire

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
This past summer a kid actually had the audacity to try skitching my backend on his skateboard - with my Borla & FFRP Header setup and 6500 rpm rev (neutral engaged obviously) I was able to blow him on his keester. Even his friend got a big chuckle out of it.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I did some dyno testing awhile back and found that the cats work very well. The removal of the stock muffler for a Accufab style pipe was only worth about 15hp and the removal of the cats showed little to no improvement at all. A friend use to run with the cats removed and it was quite a flame thrower.:eek

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
:mad
Does anyone have the HP gains on just adding the X-pipe to the stock headers with Cats?
My concern with eliminating the cats are the flames. I watched a shiney GT go up in flames on the track when the driver acciddently hit the fob key and turned the ignition off then back on..Ka boom!:eek:eek and the flames caught the rear area on fire

:mad:bang Wow, I have never heard of that. I Guess the short length of the pipes reveals what is never seen on other cars.

Daltondavid

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2007
Garnet Valley, Pa.
My car has a Ford Racing Muffler M-5230-GT on it. everything else appears stock. has anyone tried ceramic coating this particular muffler for heat reduction?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Just got mine back for coating. I wont know much about the heat issue until it warms up here.

ford.f1

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2009
I removed the cats for the first reason to push down the temperature of the entire mechanic, in all my cars, I see a lot of dead engine because the ceramic inside the cat
Brakes and produce a vacuum and this will take the outgoing valve than into the piston!.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Can anyone interpert the above post????

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

I'll take a stab at it.

"catalytic converters can fail, causing debris to be sucked back into the engine leading to catastrophic engine failure."

This actually happened to two people I know who drive (drove) modular motor V6 powered 2002 Mercury Cougars.

Aug 25, 2006

He said that he removes the cats so as to lower the temperature within the engine bay; all mechanicals in addition because the ceramic within the cats can come apart and be sucked into the engine causing damage

How did I do?

Shadowman