Ford gt price gauging?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Quote DBK: "I hate price gauging. It takes up way too much time. I prefer just to pay whatever is on the tag and worry about it later."

Must be nice to have so much money to be able to do that.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about buying a $305k paper weight this week.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was thinking about this thread last night, and it inspired me to dust off some of my old college macroeconomics textbooks and have a go at solving this problem. Or at least if I was not able to solve it, better understand it. It was difficult, but I think I've come up with a graphic representation that will allow us to gain some greater insight. Feel free to submit this to academic journals or institutions of higher learning as a real world application of some very ethereal, or even potentially existential, questions.

*A note* As a preface to this discussion, for purposes of simplicity I've chosen to eliminate the inward shift of the supply curve that would accompany the reduction in suppliers in the automotive industry. The focus of this discussion is more geared toward the demand schedule. It's not perfect, but it's a useful starting point.

parts.gif

As we can see from this graph, with the change in expectations (i.e, I think I should buy 2-3 extra of everything because of potential future lack of availability, or in some consumer's cases, 10+ extra of everything), the demand curve has shifted outward resulting in higher equilibrium pricing for Ford GT parts. Coupled with an inward shift in the supply curve, the effect on pricing would only be exacerbated.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Ummm, OK.

But what about the demand's elasticity? :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I was thinking about this thread last night, and it inspired me to dust off some of my old college macroeconomics textbooks and have a go at solving this problem. Or at least if I was not able to solve it, better understand it. It was difficult, but I think I've come up with a graphic representation that will allow us to gain some greater insight. Feel free to submit this to academic journals or institutions of higher learning as a real world application of some very ethereal, or even potentitally existential, questions.

*A note* As a preface to this discussion, for purposes of simplicity I've chosen to eliminate the inward shift of the supply curve that would accompany the reduction in suppliers in the automotive industry. The focus of this discussion is more geared toward the demand schedule. It's not perfect, but it's a useful starting point.

parts.gif

As we can see from this graph, with the change in expectations (i.e, I think I should buy 2-3 extra of everything because of potential future lack of availability, or in some consumer's cases 10+ extra of everything), the demand curve has shifted outward resulting higher equilibrium pricing for Ford GT parts. Coupled with an inward shift in the supply curve, the effect on pricing would only be exacerbated.

And what about applicability of the Laffer (Laughter) Curve? :rofl

So are you saying 'Moar' is NOT 'Betta'?? I thought you were a capitalist for sure.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
But what about the demand's elasticity? :lol

We may tackle that in part 2. Unfortunately, I do not have real world data to plug in for a firm statistical analysis, but I would say that based on the massive rises in parts prices Ford has pursued to prevent hoarding, the price elasticity of demand will be shown to be relatively inelastic. Consumers may or may not be factoring in perceived necessity as a determinant.

Like I said, the analysis is not perfect, but we can hopefully use it as a springboard to ever deeper levels of understanding here.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
For the sake of some that are mentally challenged..........English please.............:lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
For the sake of some that are mentally challenged..........English please.............:lol

dont be greedy!

H

HHGT

And I thought women are complex!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
dont be greedy!

bingo!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The Turbo-Encabulator in Industry​

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

http://www.break.com/index/understanding-the-turbo-encabulator.html

For a number of years now, work has been proceeding to bring perfection to the crudely conceived idea of a machine that would not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters. Such a machine is the "turbo-encabulator." Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the medial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive directance.

The original machine had a base plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzelvanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbline was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-0-delta type placed in panendermic semiboiloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible tremie pipe to the differential gridlespring on the "up" end of the grammeters.

Forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% remanative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P=2.5Cn6.7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Chlomondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of metaploar refractive pilfrometer (for a description of this ingenious instrument, see Reference 1), but up to the present, nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope (2).

Electrical engineers will appreciate the difficulty of nubing together a regurgitative purwell and a supramitive wennelsprock. Indeed, this proved to be a stumbling block to further development until, in 1942, it was found that the use of anhydrous nangling pins enabled a kryptonastic boiling shim to the tankered.

The early attempts to construct a sufficiently robust spiral decommutator failed largely because of a lack of appreciation of the large quasi-piestic stresses in the gremlin studs; the latter were specially designed to hold the roffit bars to the spamshaft. When, however, it was discovered that wending could be prevented by a simple addition to the living sockets, almost perfect running was secured.

The operating point is maintained as near as possible to the h.f. rem peak by constantly fromaging the bitumogenous spandrels. This is a distinct advance on the standard nivel-sheave in that no dramcock oil is required after the phase detractors have been remissed.

Undoubtedly, the turbo-encabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

References

Rumpelvestein, L.E., Z. Elektro-technistatisch-Donnerblitz vii.
Oriceddubg of the Peruvian Academy of Skatological Sciences, June 1914.

For more than 50 years the Arthur D. Little Industrial Bulletin has endeavored to interpret scientific information in terms that the lay person could understand. "The turbo-encabulator in industry" is the contribution of J.H. Quick, graduate member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers in London, England, and was first published in the Institution's Students' Quarterly Journal vol 15 no. 58 p. 22 in December 1944.
Editor's note: over the years, many firms have manufactured turbo-encabulators. While they are quite commonplace now, we often forget that they were once a specialty item. A representative example of a turbo-encabulator from the 1960s can be seen in this General Electric data sheet. (As of 11-Apr-2006, this is a better scan than was previously available.)
Turbo-Encabulator FAQ
Q:

Can I use a Fourier or Laplace transformer to power my vintage Turbo-encabulator?
— Don Stauffer
A: If you use a Fourier transformer, be sure you're discrete about it.

Fast Fourier transformers may seem appealing, but tend to leave grease spots where you set them on the bench.

Laplace transformers are best, but remember that you'll need a dual VanBergen power coupling if your TE was made before 1932. (Between 1932 and 1937, some units had helically-polarized inputs; lotsa luck finding the beam power input tubes for those.)

If you haven't powered your unit up yet, be sure to check the calibration on the conversion screens. They may not be compatible with the pitch of the modern power grid, and I don't have to tell you what THAT means!
Eric Wilner
Q:

What's a wennelsprock?
Bill S.
A:

It's a lot like a Finnegan pin, except for where it attaches to the molly sprocket, it uses a plain bearing instead of a ball bearing. This reduces creatisfration to below 37 RMQ's.
Carl Byrns

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
This is why I went to law school.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
U duhmand! I have submitted this graff to the Journal of Irreproduceable Results, not usually associated with macroeconomics.

robt777

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 28, 2010
Florida & Ohio
Try $1100.00 for a spare key for Lambo Murci. (programing included)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Joey,

I have a full set of the BBS upgrade wheels, New in box, never mounted. P/M me if interested.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Graduate Studies.

Like I said, the analysis is not perfect, but we can hopefully use it as a springboard to ever deeper levels of understanding here.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love economics, and that's the best damn chart/graph I have ever seen. As useful and illustrative as the Laffer Curve, but far more entertaining as well. Bravo Dave!

Chip

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
KJRGT,

Where did you get that tire and wheel package?

Last edited:

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
For me the price of replacement parts = cost of yearly premium for good insurance. That economics stuff is too complicated for me.