Ford gt price gauging?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
One of our brothers had a fender bender with his GT. He called many of the locals, for tail lights , body parts, chin spoilers and the like.
I think its a little out of hand that Ford now charges $900 for one tail light, which are on back order, $400 for the front spoiler, $900 for a speedo. These prices were 70 percent less.....3 years ago...
Do you think they are trying to capitalize on this small niche group?
I wanted another set of bbs light weight wheels for 1314 and put bridgestones, then keep the original goodyears in the loft..
The gtguys informed me once again they are on back order like all the rest and are now $ 3,000 a wheel........sorry guys that not right......
This " could hurt values in the near term", not 25 years from now, but imo, hurt the next 3 to 5 years.......the car is only 4 to 5 years out of production, not 20........GTJOEY1314

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
This is old news Joey. Parts prices have been this way for some time now

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

That is depressing!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The high parts prices hold up the salvaged cars prices.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I think there was an initial mark up after final production but last year I bought a bbs wheel through ford and a new goodyear, it cost 1,200 dollars . Now its3,000 per wheel alone......I just hope we dont go down testarosa road.lambo road and maserati road, where it turns people away for simple parts that become a nightmare.
Before our trip across the U.S. we needed new clamshell vent grills, $ 800 for the pair non painted, the plastic ones that are going to warp anyway..they were on back order....we wanted a tranny cooler , the gtguys said , maybe never on back order.....
Its the greatest GT open road car bar none, just think it could put a little dent in the armour, lucky I have 3 full dash clusters....way back from 05/06..
Man I could buy another gt with those alone.......:lol:lol:lol
Shelby, just dont want to see your sales slow down , thats all, enjoy gtjoey1314:thumbsup

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Small production run; coupled with many smaller suppliers that dent survive '08 crisis

How much are cast 6 spoke stock wheels ?

Only 12% of cars had those new

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I think I'll part mine out and retire.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Pricey - but cheaper than Ferrari parts. The darn Ferrari 458 factory battery trickle charger just cost $400. Nuts.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Parts prices are not gonna slow down sales. I don't like the high parts prices either, but they are not on Lambo / Ferrari level just yet

H

HHGT

I think I'll part mine out and retire.

As a sheep farmer may be....:willy:willy

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Small production run; coupled with many smaller suppliers that dent survive '08 crisis

How much are cast 6 spoke stock wheels ?

Only 12% of cars had those new

I just purchased a package of the standard wheels (new in boxes) and new Hoosiers for $3,700.00

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
...... lucky I have 3 full dash clusters....way back from 05/06..
Man I could buy another gt with those alone.......:lol:lol:lol

Ya, i remember this call from a guy called GTJoey from NY who said "MAD since you are close to this deal how about meeting this guy in the truck yard and paying for the clusters first - then he will go and bring them to you in an hour or so... Don't worry forget about it's only $2,500 and we never met him...."

In hind sight I should have bought two also....:bored

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I hate price gauging. It takes up way too much time. I prefer just to pay whatever is on the tag and worry about it later.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I agree! Gouging on the other hand:bored

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Eventually the aftermarket industry will get involved. This may not solve the rip-off, but it helps having alternatives.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Ya, i remember this call from a guy called GTJoey from NY who said "MAD since you are close to this deal how about meeting this guy in the truck yard and paying for the clusters first - then he will go and bring them to you in an hour or so... Don't worry forget about it's only $2,500 and we never met him...."

In hind sight I should have bought two also....:bored
That was some find my friend, Someone has Bony's complete set somewhere? Awsum?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I was wondering when the grammar police were going to weigh in.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I was wondering when the grammar police were going to weigh in.

Two, I mean to, I mean too funny!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
To quote Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park, "Boy, do I hate being right all the time."

I began a concerted parts-buying campaign within months of getting my Ford GT in August of 2005. Why? Two reasons:
1. I grew up driving Mopar muscle cars and I clearly remembered the prospect of getting parts for those cars from Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealers. Basically, they had NOTHING for them by the mid-80s when I was old enough to drive and buy parts for them because Chrysler had abandoned their support of V8 cars (just like they abandoned all production of RWD V8 cars) in the late 1970s. That came back to haunt them when performace returned in the late 1980s and Chevy/Ford started offering big V8s in their cars (again) while Chrysler had sold the big-block molds (including the Hemi!) to some company in Australia. They eventually bought the rights to produce those engines back (at a MUCH higher price than they sold them) and now you can get a crate Hemi. Anyway, walking into a Mopar dealer and asking for a Plymouth GTX grille or fender or taillight was an excercise in humor for the guys at the parts desks. When I considered the fact that I COULD walk into a Ford dealer and get those same parts for a Ford GT I decided to not let it slip by. I had already dealt with enough vehicle ownership that included ZERO dealer parts support.
2. I figured that, worst-case scenario, my GT would be in an accident and I'd need the parts. Best-case scenario, I'd never need the parts and years later I'd have an attic full for new, in-the-box Ford GT parts that would most likely be worth more than I paid. I was NOT trying to parts horde, just covering my bases since I plan on keeping my GT until I die (and then passing it on to my kids).

Anyway, I figured it would take awhile (as in 10-plus years) for my parts-buying binge to show signs of a great investment. Guess I under-estimated the time factor. My biggest regret? I didn't buy any back-up gauges or an extra engine cover (back when I priced them and they were "only" $9,500). I also wouldn't mind an extra set of fenders and doors, but storing those body parts takes a fair amount of space (I have two front clips, one rear clip, two extra front airdams and one rear diffuser -- those are just the larger, exterior parts I have stuffed away, let's not get into my smaller parts list...).

Very sorry to hear this. I didn't want to be this right this early regarding replacement parts for the GT.

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote DBK: "I hate price gauging. It takes up way too much time. I prefer just to pay whatever is on the tag and worry about it later."

Must be nice to have so much money to be able to do that.

Last edited: