Ford GT coldline

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
jamie said:
I have owned both a superformance and 2 alum csx 4000 series cars and 1 aluminum 7000 series, whoever gave you the info about the spf and the csx is WRONG. The aluminum CSX cars are almost identical to the originals and have a much more correct stance and look than the SPF cars, and they drive much better and have a much more solid feel to them to me, no wheel hop that is prevelent in the SPF car. Many more things than just that but those are the ones that come to mind the easiest. The new CSX cars may not all be made at Shelby American but some are! The 2 and 3 series cars of the 60s were made in England and shipped here less drivetrain and paint, the quality of the cars now blow away the old cars as Shelby Builders and modern technology far surpass the cars of days gone by. If you want an expensive trophy get a 2 or 3 series car. If you want a far less expensive trophy you can race and drive and enjoy go buy an aluminum CSX! I also don't think they are replica's, they are real Shelby's built by Shelby with a CSX vin.

At the risk of highjacking this thread, I hope this debate doesn't bleed into the Ford GT forum. We have Club Cobra for that.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I wasn't debating cobra's with cobra owners! I was giving an opinion on CSX cobra's to a GT owner who made a comment I didn't agree with. I guess I feel if you don't think the thread is of your interest don't read it, thats what I do. I don't worry about what forum it should be on I leave that up to the directors.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Jamie, you are right on the mark with your comments about the aluminum csx cars, the evidence is in the prices they command.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
jamie said:
I wasn't debating cobra's with cobra owners! I was giving an opinion on CSX cobra's to a GT owner who made a comment I didn't agree with. I guess I feel if you don't think the thread is of your interest don't read it, thats what I do. I don't worry about what forum it should be on I leave that up to the directors.

Sorry Jamie. My mistake. I guess I have just seen this topic debated to no end, and truthfully, as an SPF owner, I guess I was somewhat defensive as well.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
No problem! :cheers

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Guys, If You Need Answers Just Send Me A Message. I Was On The Project Since It Was In Pre Production Days. I Now Work At Service Engineering

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
tunedup2aGT said:
Guys, If You Need Answers Just Send Me A Message. I Was On The Project Since It Was In Pre Production Days. I Now Work At Service Engineering

can't beat that, Ford, service is number 1 :wink :banana :wink

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It is sure great to have a number of those at Ford that are/were responsible for our great cars to be so accessible and to post on this forum. I have never seen this level of passion, interest or support from any employees of the other high end marquis that I own. :thumbsup

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
:thumbsup :cheers thank you for your complement. just a little more info on what was my part of the team: I worked for saleen as supervisor / manager of the ford gt line until december of 2005. hired / trained all assembly technicians on the assembly of the gt. I am a ase master certified mechanic for over 20 years. I now work for ford at service engineering operations.
if you need to contact me:
rrenau13@ford.com

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Tunedup, I have an August 2005 built GT which is now living happily in the UK!

CSX 2104

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Las Vegas
Tunedup2aGT,

Here is my update I would be curious as to your thoughts?

My car was sitting in my garage with the Ford battery tender in the lighter socket or power socket whatever it is called. I came out a couple days later with my 10 yeard old son for a planned daddy/son Ford GT driving day in the desert. The key fob wouldn't work and I realized the battery was dead. I noticed the clamshell rear hatch was open slightly about a quarter inch on one side and figured that had drained the battery? I couldn't get the drivers door open with the key in the manual key socket. I didn't want to force it and break the key off in the lock so I opened the front luggage hatch and removed the luggage tray and was going to put a charger on the battery but realized I had loaned all my chargers out.

My son was pretty disapointed about the car not starting so I read the owners manual and it didn't tell me not to jump the battery with another car so I jumped it with my Expedition. The GT started but then I noticed the climate control fan was operating and couldn't be stopped and air was blowing through all the inlets in the cockpit. So I disconnected the battery and that was the end of the daddy/son drive.

I contacted the GT hotline about the field tech program other owners and my selling dealer had told me about and was told it didn't exist and never exited. Notwithstanding the fact that I have a friend who had his car serviced by a non existent field tech three times and even had a video of this non existent field tech working on his car?

I finally got the car to a local Ford dealer where the service manager was a friend and well respected in the area. The only downside to his dealership (besides the buttholes in the sales department) is the volume and cramped parking area's which often leads to dings and scratches. But he came out when we arrived and took the car personally and drove it into the service area and parked it in next to another GT in for service and they were parked away from all the other cars.

They had no idea why the climate control fan wouldn't stop blowing and called someone back at Ford who told them I had fried the climate control module when I jumped the car. They replaced the climate control module and charged the battery determined it was fine and couldn't find any reason why the battery had drained itself. Replacing the climate control module resolved the fan problem.

The Ford tech told me to use the Ford battery tender in the power socket and not to attach a battery tender directly to the battery cables. He said anytime I charge the battery to disconnect the battery cables and attach the alligator clips directly to the posts on the battery. They also said the rear clamshell hood being slightly open would not have drained the battery. So no one is sure what drained my battery?

The car always started fine UNTIL I used the Ford plug into the power socket battery tender so I am not comfortable with it. I also dropped it off at the dealership to have it checked, because it seemed like as soon as I began using it my troubles began?

The service manager at the dealership was fantastic and the car came home in perfect condition so that was a huge relief. I would appreciate your thoughts???

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I have been using the Deltran Battery Tender which is a float charger you can buy at most parts stores. So far I have not had any electrical or battery issues. The Ford unit is still sealed in plastic. As far as I know the Ford unit is not a float charger and can possibly boil your battery. The float charger will maintain your battery at 13.2 volts and will not overcharge it.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
tunedup2aGT said:
:thumbsup :cheers thank you for your complement. just a little more info on what was my part of the team: I worked for saleen as supervisor / manager of the ford gt line until december of 2005. hired / trained all assembly technicians on the assembly of the gt. I am a ase master certified mechanic for over 20 years. I now work for ford at service engineering operations.
if you need to contact me:
rrenau13@ford.com

Hi - thatnks for the offer. I have a 2006 GT red/white, living very happily in Vancouver BC. There is a bit of debate at the forum site that I hope you can clear up here [in addition to trying to sole CSX 2104's mystery]. Some don't like the battery tender because it does not have a light to show it's working. I called the GT hotline about this and was told it was a 'float style ' tender and could be safely left plugged in over the winter. Please clarify if those two statements are true or not.

regards TRP

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Neilda said:
Hi Tunedup, I have an August 2005 built GT which is now living happily in the UK!

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fast have you driven it?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
isaakgt said:
I have been using the Deltran Battery Tender which is a float charger you can buy at most parts stores. So far I have not had any electrical or battery issues. The Ford unit is still sealed in plastic. As far as I know the Ford unit is not a float charger and can possibly boil your battery. The float charger will maintain your battery at 13.2 volts and will not overcharge it.

Ditto, I have a 4 bank Battery Tender and keep all my rides on it. No problems with the GT when it is connected to the Tender. I didn't trust the Ford charger and never used it. Glad your problems are resolved. AC

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ByeEnzo said:
Ditto, I have a 4 bank Battery Tender and keep all my rides on it. No problems with the GT when it is connected to the Tender. I didn't trust the Ford charger and never used it. Glad your problems are resolved. AC

same here...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
tunedup2aGT said:
Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fast have you driven it?

:biggrin so this car was built on your watch eh??!

Fantastic - I love it sooooo much. It must be very heartwarming to hear of cars you were involved with.

I haven't hit the magical 200 yet, but have driven the full circuit at Le Mans in it with the winning 1966 cars - I managed 165mph on the Mulsanne straight. The next morning I hit 195 on the autoroute south of Le Mans, backed off because it was raining.

As I write this, I am looking out on rainy and windy Saturday morning through my study window. Just beyond is a large oak barn - and within, in a warmed and dehumidified atmosphere is 'our' GT!

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Neilda said:
:biggrin so this car was built on your watch eh??!

Fantastic - I love it sooooo much. It must be very heartwarming to hear of cars you were involved with.

I haven't hit the magical 200 yet, but have driven the full circuit at Le Mans in it with the winning 1966 cars - I managed 165mph on the Mulsanne straight. The next morning I hit 195 on the autoroute south of Le Mans, backed off because it was raining.

As I write this, I am looking out on rainy and windy Saturday morning through my study window. Just beyond is a large oak barn - and within, in a warmed and dehumidified atmosphere is 'our' GT!

give it a rev for me!

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Red Rocket said:
Hi - thatnks for the offer. I have a 2006 GT red/white, living very happily in Vancouver BC. There is a bit of debate at the forum site that I hope you can clear up here [in addition to trying to sole CSX 2104's mystery]. Some don't like the battery tender because it does not have a light to show it's working. I called the GT hotline about this and was told it was a 'float style ' tender and could be safely left plugged in over the winter. Please clarify if those two statements are true or not.

regards TRP

i use a schumacker battery tender for my cars that i store. it has a light that indicates it is charging and if it is charged. it costs 34.99 and works terrific. they are float chargers and the schumacker is also.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
csx2104============My car was sitting in my garage with the Ford battery tender in the lighter socket or power socket whatever it is called. I came out a couple days later with my 10 yeard old son for a planned daddy/son Ford GT driving day in the desert. The key fob wouldn't work and I realized the battery was dead. I noticed the clamshell rear hatch was open slightly about a quarter inch on one side and figured that had drained the battery? I couldn't get the drivers door open with the key in the manual key socket. I didn't want to force it and break the key off in the lock so I opened the front luggage hatch and removed the luggage tray and was going to put a charger on the battery but realized I had loaned all my chargers out..............................................

the condition was caused by the climate control issue. the battery tender could not compensate for the draw so the battery drained. I recomencd teh schumacker battery tender that will be able to maintain the battery properly.

Last edited: