Ford GT and The P. GT 2

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great story!! :thumbsup I too own a 996 GT2 it’s an 04 and I've had it from new it has a remap and a few other bits and it is VERY quick. I would NEVER sell!! I'm sure it’s a little quicker then my stock GT but I have never tried a race or timing. Have you anymore pictures of the 997 GT2's please? I'm seriously considering ordering one. I have never seen a yellow 997 GT2. Thanks

The photo below is all I got on the Yellow one.. Oh, and the image of them in the rear view mirror...which was faint ...:biggrin

But seriuously these are beautiful cars !! I really like the air intakes on the rear wings. And as I mentioned before the interior has color coordinated panels and stiching in the seats..

Thats the first run down here that was riddled with problems. The driver of the murci apparently wrecked it while doing a burnout for the cameras and the owner of the yellow gallardo whose motor got toasted, thats a whole other story. I was going to go but the weather looked bad on saturday.

Mike ,you should have come up !!

Nice job Brian, Hey you need to let me in on these events so I can sneak down there and hang out !!

Torrie, there are no gas stations on alligator alley !! :biggrin

Luv it Stormcat! Too cool.

Ed

See you in a few weeks!

Hey Ed, I need some stickers !!! I'll remind you as the date approaches !! Are you up for some go kart action !!

Attachments

• SFLTYS  Naples 016.jpg
    SFLTYS Naples 016.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Hey Brain,
Great to see you again! Debby & I had a good time at dinner Saturday night and it was good to meet your friends Rob & Carlie also (Robs Gallardo was really nice btw!!!).
Your GT looks hot as well, I like the aluminum oil caps you made...good job!

Too bad the G blew the motor & Johnny had a wreck, but other than that everyone had a great time!!!!

I'm going to try to make it to Tower Shops Friday so may be I'll see you there.

Take care,
Kim

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey Brain,
Great to see you again! Debby & I had a good time at dinner Saturday night and it was good to meet your friends Rob & Carlie also (Robs Gallardo was really nice btw!!!).
Your GT looks hot as well, I like the aluminum oil caps you made...good job!

Too bad the G blew the motor & Johnny had a wreck, but other than that everyone had a great time!!!!

I'm going to try to make it to Tower Shops Friday so may be I'll see you there.

Take care,
Kim

Hey Kim, it was great to spend some time with you and Debby as well !! Your Murci was looking sharp as always !! One of theses days you'll need to slum it in the GT.. :biggrin

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Those GT2's are animals. I'm not crazy about the treatment they gave the rear end, but the car is definitely alluring. I would love to have one. It feels like Porsche is sending the Turbo more in the direction of really fast grand tourer because the GT2 and GT3 are such intense performance extremes.

EVO magazine this month has a great article not just on the new GT2's, but the turbo Gemballa's and TechArt's. The factory GT2 runs circles around them. It's a very impressive car. A few years back I used to hang out with a couple of the top factory Lamborghini mechanics, and one night we were discussing cars. They knew I had explored the limits of what their company had to offer at that time and was looking for more. They told me look at a GT2. In the "real" car world without all the pomp and circumstance, the GT2 is a highly respected car.

We may be able to outrun one on a drag strip, but fight one on a twisted track and that will be a different matter. Folks here have argued about the GT3 vs FGT and who would be the winner. A stock FGT and a GT2 from the same year isn’t even fair fight. Add a Whipple and some Penske’s and then it’s a fair fight, if you can all it that with double the horsepower to achieve the same ends. We can pound on our chests all we like, but that’s the way it is. The reason a Porsche GT2 is so cheap after a few years is because most supercar buyers don’t know shit about cars.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
EVO magazine this month has a great article not just on the new GT2's, but the turbo Gemballa's and TechArt's. The factory GT2 runs circles around them. It's a very impressive car. A few years back I used to hang out with a couple of the top factory Lamborghini mechanics, and one night we were discussing cars. They knew I had explored the limits of what their company had to offer at that time and was looking for more. They told me look at a GT2. In the "real" car world without all the pomp and circumstance, the GT2 is a highly respected car.

We may be able to outrun one on a drag strip, but fight one on a twisted track and that will be a different matter. Folks here have argued about the GT3 vs FGT and who would be the winner. A stock FGT and a GT2 from the same year isn’t even fair fight. Add a Whipple and some Penske’s and then it’s a fair fight, if you can all it that with double the horsepower to achieve the same ends. We can pound on our chests all we like, but that’s the way it is. The reason a Porsche GT2 is so cheap after a few years is because most supercar buyers don’t know shit about cars.

+1, the Porsche's GT cars will run at redline for days on end without a hiccup.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I am a huge Porsche fan but the GT2 does not appeal me THAT much. I think we are getting a little insane with the power output of today's cars.

In the same EVO magazine there is a group test of the 993 GT2, Carrera GT, 997 GT3 RS and 997 GT2.

The writer tests the GT2 after the 993 GT2 and is impressed by how they managed to keep the 997 true to the raw GT2 tradition. He thinks it nearly superflous to drive the GT3 the next day.. The GT2 is a raw and direct machine and it has >100hp on tap... what more could you want?

But sometimes you want less. The extra 100hp make the car insanely quick but most of the time too powerful. You need to use your right foot as if you have fresh eggs under the pedal. The road becomes a series of straights connected by crazy decelerations and accelerations and a turn that is disposed with extreme capability but is not the most important bit...

Sometimes I feel our GT is too powerful for its own good....

If I had another spare spot in my garage you would not see a GT2, but a GT3 RS occupying it.

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
I am a huge Porsche fan but the GT2 does not appeal me THAT much. I think we are getting a little insane with the power output of today's cars.

In the same EVO magazine there is a group test of the 993 GT2, Carrera GT, 997 GT3 RS and 997 GT2.

The writer tests the GT2 after the 993 GT2 and is impressed by how they managed to keep the 997 true to the raw GT2 tradition. He thinks it nearly superflous to drive the GT3 the next day.. The GT2 is a raw and direct machine and it has >100hp on tap... what more could you want?

But sometimes you want less. The extra 100hp make the car insanely quick but most of the time too powerful. You need to use your right foot as if you have fresh eggs under the pedal. The road becomes a series of straights connected by crazy decelerations and accelerations and a turn that is disposed with extreme capability but is not the most important bit...

Sometimes I feel our GT is too powerful for its own good....

If I had another spare spot in my garage you would not see a GT2, but a GT3 RS occupying it.

I think the truth is an average driver can't handle the power and performance of a GT2. A NA GT3 is a lot easier to drive but still a great car and loads of fun. I feel the reason the 996 wasn’t such a success is because the majority of the people buying them really had no clue how to drive. They just wanted the top of the range 911. Look at how many have been crashed....it’s a lot of cars. I think the 996 GT2 is a car that dropped in valve fast because people were either too afraid of the car so traded it in, for the comfort and 4x4 of a turbo….or crashed it. The 996 and the 997 GT2 are brilliant cars. They need good drivers to get the best from them. Pretty similar to a Ford GT really! Just because the writer in EVO says the GT3 RS is better does not necessarily mean it is. They are wrong about a lot of car in my opinion including the Ferrari F50.

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois

Agree completely....great post (your clearly a man of great taste as your forum name is the same as my...and I suspect your...license plate :thumbsup)

The 997 turbo GT3/GT3 RS and GT2 all have different abilities. They are all great cars in their own right.

I'd like to also add the point that I used to regularly drive my 996 GT2 from London to Monaco for the weekend. I really can't think of a better car for these 2000 mile round trips. It has room for luggage and the ability to cruise at high speeds. It’s also very rewarding on twisty roads. When driven reasonably it’s not too bad on Gas and the car is 100% reliable no matter how hard you drive it. My car has completed Gumball, Cannonball, and Drivers Run events plus lots of trackdays all without fault. Try doing that in a Lambo or Ferrari. You just have to give the car a lot of respect. When you do, it rewards in bucketful’s.

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
The photo bellow is all I got on the Yellow one.. Oh, and the image of them in the rear view mirror...which was faint ...:biggrin

But seriuously these are beautiful cars !! I really like the air intakes on the rear wings. And as I mentioned before the interior has color coordinated panels and stiching in the seats..

Thanks for the picture...that GT2 does look SWEET in yellow.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
As pointed above just stuffing a monster turbo engine on the back of a 911 is not a recipe for a winner.

As Gulf GT mentioned Evo reports that the GT2 is a better car than both the Gemballa and Techart propositions even if the GT2 packs less HP.

It may be that at EVO they are not that good at driving the cars, so the Gemballa and Techart in the hands of someone with better skills would come out of their skins...

Now the 997 GT2 is an impressive car, no doubt about it. But I think I would have more fun with a GT3 RS.

That's all.

Having said that I am taking the GT to Silverstone on the 13th of May and to Brands Hatch (GP layout) on the 30th. It would be great if you came as well.

I find the FTG a little frustrating on the public road as triple digit speeds are too accessible....

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
As pointed above just stuffing a monster turbo engine on the back of a 911 is not a recipe for a winner.

As Gulf GT mentioned Evo reports that the GT2 is a better car than both the Gemballa and Techart propositions even if the GT2 packs less HP.

It may be that at EVO they are not that good at driving the cars, so the Gemballa and Techart in the hands of someone with better skills would come out of their skins...

Now the 997 GT2 is an impressive car, no doubt about it. But I think I would have more fun with a GT3 RS.

That's all.

Having said that I am taking the GT to Silverstone on the 13th of May and to Brands Hatch (GP layout) on the 30th. It would be great if you came as well.

I find the FTG a little frustrating on the public road as triple digit speeds are too accessible....

Sounds good, as mentioned I have the 996 GT2. I just realized you’re not far from me at all. We should definitely meet up. I would love to see your GT. Not sure about the trackday’s as I am due back in the US mid May but I will let you know, maybe.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I do 1-2 track days a month. With either the FGT or a 911. When u come back from the US just let me know. The invitation is always open....

Last week at Brands Hatch there were: 4x 997 GT3 RS, 2x996 GT3 RS, 1x993 GT2 cup,3x993 RSRs, 1x FGT, 1x F40, 2x Noble, 1xStealth... it was good fun.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Last week at Brands Hatch there were: 4x 997 GT3 RS, 2x996 GT3 RS, 1x993 GT2 cup,3x993 RSRs, 1x FGT, 1x F40, 2x Noble, 1xStealth... it was good fun.

Oh man. I would have loved to see that. The F40 is one of my favorite cars.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
He was not pushing hard (can u blame him?). It was also very wet in the morning and it dired up in the afternoon.

Wonderful car!

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California

I can understand that decision. From my experience, the GT3RS has such a great balance of grip and power that it's one of the rare cars you can slam the gas pedal down at will. It's got more than enough power to be quick, especially in the first 2 seconds out of a turn, but not so much that you can't keep your foot into it. There is something about being able stick your foot to the floor with impunity while driving it, and that simply is not possible in the GT2 (at least at my skill level). I have to agree that the GT3RS is more fun to drive, but its work to do it. The GT2 and GT3RS are physical animals compared to the FGT; it takes a lot more effort to get the job done.

However, the FGT was the first "race car" I ever wanted to own and drive from early childhood. The lines and the history combined with the fact that it's "American Made" are my choice over the Porsche. And, Ford did such a damn good job making it on top of all that. However, if Ford had not made the FGT, I would likely own a Carrera GT, GT2, or GT3RS.

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
However, if Ford had not made the FGT, I would likely own a Carrera GT, GT2, or GT3RS.

But if you had to choose, which one...???

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
Speaking of GT2's heres a short video of me smoking a Lambo Gayardo on cannonball in 04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Eeqi3z6EQ

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
But if you had to choose, which one...???

Good question. GT3RS for really all the car I can use and best balance overall, GT2 so I feel like I have the "top car from the 911 line" that has some torque, or the Carrera GT if I want the "creme de la creme" of the Porsche line and something doesn't look like a generic Porsche from more than 20 feet away.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Speaking of GT2's heres a short video of me smoking a Lambo Gayardo on cannonball in 04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Eeqi3z6EQ

The Lambo driver who passed on the right on the shoulder should be locked up....
what a moron:thumbsdow:bs:thumbsdow

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
The Lambo driver who passed on the right on the shoulder should be locked up....
what a moron:thumbsdow:bs:thumbsdow

Moron is too kind a word.