Ford GT and The P. GT 2

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I attended a Fun Run sponsored by The S. FL Toys group. We met at the Ft. Lauderdale Collection and ran over to Naples via I 75 (AKA alligator alley). There were three brand new Porsche GT 2's there. They said they were the first batch in the country. The Porsche GT 2's are great looking cars. I really like the color coordinated interiors. If I'm not mistaken these cars are considered the fastest most powerful factory offering of a 911 style car.
The three GT 2's spent he afternoon racing each other and terrorizing all of the Lambos. The were very excited to out run a LP 640..
Than the yellow GT 2. Pulled up next to me for a the typical 3 horn honk and go roll on race. They did the honking and the GT did the racing.. I ran them starting from 2nd gear at 60 mph. When I went from 3rd to 4th they were some far behind even I was in disbelief. They were so far back I wish I had a video...:biggrin

It was an overnight affair. After we all got checked in to the hotel most of the group went down to the pool to hang out. I was with my buddy and we were sitting next to some of the people from the run. One of a the guys next to us asked my friend what he was driving.. Than the guy said he was in the Yellow GT 2. They were taking about all of the cars etc.. I said did you run that "Ford GT "
He got a big smile on his face and said "you know we raced everything out there and beat them all and that Ford GT just ran away from us !! We were shocked !! "

I smiled and said thanks for you honest assessment of the race that was me !! " Than he said well that thing must be seriously modified. And I replied just a pulley, tune and the Accufab X pipe.. :wink

The next day the guy who owned all three GT 2's on the run came to our table at breakfast and told me he couldn't believe how fast the GT was and he enjoyed seeing the flames from the pipes .. He said his wife was driving the Ferrari 599 GTB. After he got waxed in the GT 2 he wanted to swap cars and give me a run in that .. Now that would have been a good race !!

I think it would be a good race between a stock GT and a stock GT 2 but the GT 2's are no match for a pulley & tunned car.. :thumbsup

The Orange G car is my buddies. He did the SE look with black wheels and it looks great. The Teal Murci in the last photos had a incident and went home on a flat bed. A Lambo G car blew a motor !! We all left Ft. Laud. with a full tank of gas.. When we got to the hotel most of the guys said man I'm on Fumes.. The miserly GT still had a 1/4 tank and was acknowledged as the fastest car on the run... It was a proud day for Helenor .. :thumbsup

Attachments

• SFLTYS  Naples 001.jpg
    SFLTYS Naples 001.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 441
  • SFLTYS  Naples 002.jpg
    SFLTYS Naples 002.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 440
  • SFLTYS  Naples 005.jpg
    SFLTYS Naples 005.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 433
  • SFLTYS  Naples 007.jpg
    SFLTYS Naples 007.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 438
  • SFLTYS  Naples 009.jpg
    SFLTYS Naples 009.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Great post! Sounds like a fun and prideful day.:thumbsup

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
Great story, I love these cars!!!!, Thanks for sharing this story.

Mg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Do you know WHY Merci blew it's 'commencer', Stormy?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Great write-up Brian. And those GT2 can be tuned to output 700+HP w/ new ECU maps, larger turbos and exhaust. Now that'd make an interesting race.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Great write up and thanks for the pics!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, quit jacking around beating up other cars and get me my bottle holders!

Your good buddy, Frank

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Brian, great report. However you didn't tell them about the carbon fiber trunk cover. The weight savings must of did the trick!

:thumbsup :cheers

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
That sounds awesome, great story! I have 2002 GT2 that I bought brand new and I have done the computer and exhaust and thats it and the car is fairly close in performance to my GT. 10.6 135 for my GT in the 1/4 and 10.8 at 130 mph for my GT2, so I guess the new GT2 really isn't going to be a match for my older GT2 unless they hit the mod factory. A couple of guys I know told me I better watch out for their new GT2's I guess they still better watch out for me!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thank you!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The uniqueness and the performance of a Ford Gt is second to none !!!
You gotta love it ...
Nice story Stormcat .

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for sharing and Congratulations. Events like this will continue to keep the GT (and GT values) in the minds of car guys for the next 40 years. No doubt, a few of those guys probably said or thought "damn, I've got to get one of those GT's" :cheers

closeshave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 13, 2007
London/ Peoria Illinois
Great story!! :thumbsup I too own a 996 GT2 it’s an 04 and I've had it from new it has a remap and a few other bits and it is VERY quick. I would NEVER sell!! I'm sure it’s a little quicker then my stock GT but I have never tried a race or timing. Have you anymore pictures of the 997 GT2's please? I'm seriously considering ordering one. I have never seen a yellow 997 GT2. Thanks

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
With one afternoon, 10k, and a Whipple, there is not much available anywhere else that will give a safe 200 hp increase, to over 700 whp on pump gas.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Do you know WHY Merci blew it's 'commencer', Stormy?

EP, it was a Lambo Gallardo that sufferd an engine failure. The Murci had a minor off road incident....:frown

With one afternoon, 10k, and a Whipple, there is not much available anywhere else that will give a safe 200 hp increase, to over 700 whp on pump gas.

That would be the next step for me !!:biggrin

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Great post, Brian! :cheers

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good story there Brian.

Those GT2's are animals. I'm not crazy about the treatment they gave the rear end, but the car is definitely alluring. I would love to have one. It feels like Porsche is sending the Turbo more in the direction of really fast grand tourer because the GT2 and GT3 are such intense performance extremes.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Thats the first run down here that was riddled with problems. The driver of the murci apparently wrecked it while doing a burnout for the cameras and the owner of the yellow gallardo whose motor got toasted, thats a whole other story. I was going to go but the weather looked bad on saturday.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Nice job Brian, Hey you need to let me in on these events so I can sneak down there and hang out !!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Go Stormcat

Luv it Stormcat! Too cool.

Ed

See you in a few weeks!