Ford GT alignment

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
Hi fellas.
I'm new here and this is my first post. I own Blue 05 Ford GT for about 3 months now. Finally got the car to the Virginia International Raceway for track event. Needless to say the car is phenomenal. Guy behind the wheel meanwhile, not so good. On a fast right and left hander, I lost control of back end and spun out to grass. It was quite a bumpy ride but nothing broke except for lot of dirt everywhere. Anyways, I don't feel any vibration or drifting tendencies but my steering wheel angle is off by about 10 degrees.
My question to you guys is: do you think I should pack it up and go home or try to track it again tomorrow?
And if I need to get its alignment checked where do you recommend in Raleigh NC area?
Short notice but I could really use your expertise!

Thanks!

John

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA

Sent you an e-mail.

Pete S.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
there is some risk racing with unknown damage

Xeviuus

When the steering wheel is no longer straight traveling down the road.

It needs to be repaired.

Something is bent or damaged in the front or rear of the car.

It is most likely not seriously hurt.

But it should go on a 4 wheel alignment rack to determine what end of the car to concentrate your efforts on.
As well as performing a complete chassis and safety inspection

I would not run tomorrow with out at least checking the toe setting front and rear.
As there is risk of doing more damage.

Best case (if you run without defining the damage) quickly worn out tires.

We will not speak of the worst case.
Not that I want to scare you as it is unlikely there is major damage to your car.
Let’s just say there is some risk racing with unknown damage.

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
Thanks for all the helpful recommendations! I did follow both of your advice and packed up that very next day and drove 4 hours north Maryland to meet up with The GT Guys from Detroit. John Bailey was gracious enough to let me walk in to his garage have my car looked at by Rich and Denis. It was absolutely fantastics to meet up with other fellow GT owners. I own many cars but I really believe that GT owners are very tight group. Although I never met anyone, everyone including Pete S who was there to get his car serviced made me feel very comfortable. If I can't thank John, Pete, Rich and Denis enough!

So after that excursion to the grassy area in the VIR, there are more damage done to the car than meets the eye. I cracked front spoiler and front facia. Bent the control arm in the driver side (hence the crooked steering wheel). Shubbed in whole bunch of grass and dirt to the rim and tire interface (hence the losing tire pressure) Bent passenger side front fender. Rich and Denis thinks I got away with very minimal damage. Thanks goodness.

After talking to them for a while, it was apparent that they really know what they are doing with GT. Beside the fact that they were involved in initial Ford GT project, their confidence, aptitude and competency just shows every step of the way. It was like watching confident surgeon going through diagnosis, surgery and post op. Smooth, methodical and effortless but extremely efficient. It didn't take me long to decide that they are the one to take care of my GT. Due to extent of work it needs, I have to ship the car to Detroit but I think it's a small price to pay to get it done way GT engineers wanted to be done.

Did I mention that I also signed up for: 1. Heffner Exhaust, 2. Transmission cooler, 3. 5 Point restraints system, 4. Engine bay fire extinguisher, 5. New pulley for super charger, 6. Reflash ECU, 7, Lowering kit, 8. Short throw shifter, 9. Move the subwoofer, 10. Stiffening air duct? I was like a kid in a candy store.

I can't wait to get it back. And I'll do many damnedest best keep it on the track. Hmm, any one selling extra set of rims with Hoosiers?

John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Your car is in great hands with the GT Guys! Your car will be better than new when you get it back.

:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
xeviuus

I will change your status to FGT owner.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
xeviuus

And.... welcome to the site Doc!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The GT Guy

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

+1 !!! Bony says it all.

Welcome to the Forum.

Rich and Dennis are THE BEST. As you have already seen theym in action, you'll have no worries on the needed repairs and the list full of upgrades. Your might ask them to do a track setting on the suspension.

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
Thanks!
I'll keep you guys posted.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Enjoy her when she returns.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
John - welcome to the site...... Careful, it can become an addict like the gal (FGT). Might have to drop one in your stable for another FGT. Look at Tim and Chris - they horde the gals! :rofl

see ya sat :cheers

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
Probably better investment to have GT instead others... LOL
See you Saturday. Still in Brier Creek right?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Probably better investment to have GT instead others... LOL
See you Saturday. Still in Brier Creek right?

PM sent!

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
Quick update. After long delay due to transportation issue, my GT is finally being picked up either tonight or tomorrow morning. (kinda wishwash there) I gotta share with you guys, transportation people are entirely different kind of birds. Their internal clock doesn't run like ours do. T O O S L O W ~

Anyways, thanks to the forum (once again!) I found a brand new set of upgraded rims. Shelby was selling them for a good price. (Sorry Shelby, to wake you up this morning I was just so excited!) I'll be fitting them with Hoosiers 255/40/18 and 315/40/19 R6s. Let me know if you think this tire combination is appropriate. This is what I gather from the forum so hopefully it's adequate.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
often times owners find their cars on what seems like world tours and the transporter criss crosses the countryside.

glad the forum is proving helpful.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
The GT Guys are masters of their craft. I am sure you will be happy with the gal when you get her back. pd

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
My car is still here.

It was supposed to be picked up Tuesday. Then it was changed to late Tuesday. Then it was changed to "sometime" Wednesday. Then it was "maybe" Wednesday night. Then changed to sometime in the morning of Thursday. (since it sounded more convincing I cancelled all morning surgeries) Then driver changed his minds and says "maybe or maybe not" Thursday evening. So I'm canceling my dinner plan based on his wishwashy estimation.

I don't know about all this, fellas. My beloved GT is sitting on my drive way sick since March 14th and I still getting run around. I know The GT Guys are the best but I so tired of someone supposed to help is ruining my entire week's schedule. Worst yet my GT is still here all torn up!!! I'm going to give them till tonight, if they don't come I'm just gonna give up on all the upgrades with The GT Guys and take my baby to local dealer to get it fixed. I really like the The GT Guys and I want them to work on my GT but I think they are hurting themselves by hiring such irresponsible towing company.

Keep you posted...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey Doc:)

Dennis and Rich are trying to be helpful! There are dozens of transport companies. I assure you they have more pull than you or I do. Why don't you dial and see what you come up with.

I was pretty sick a couple of years ago. I went to Scripps and Mayo to get the best info possibe. Not some doc in a box in a strip mall.

You know where the best is...
Your call :)

xeviuus

Ford GT Owner
Mar 14, 2008
Cary, NC
Things are happening at lightening pace!
After talking (or more like bitching like my wife to me all the time) to Rich for a while to express my utter despair and epic frustration with this towing company, Rich was ready to jump on his own truck to drive down to Cary, NC to pick up my GT! But the same wishywashy tow truck driver "assured" Rich that he'll be here tonight for sure.
Suspense continues..."will John's GT be picked up today???" stay tuned... for the next episode!