Fire extinguisher mounting

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I just used a T50 angle wrench. I couldn't get a socket to fit. The angle wrench fit fine but I did have to use a crescent wrench on the end of it to give me the leverage needed to break the original bolts loose. After that the only problem I had was getting the new bolts started. The seat tracks spread and the bolt holes weren't aligned anymore. I wrapped a ratchet type motorcycle tie down around both rails and pulled them together enough to start the bolts.

Not the smoothest installation but worth it.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Size of the replacement bolt

Has anyone relocated the MAC subwoofer behind the passenger seat and mounted the fire extinguisher? In my GT I need the seat pretty far back to accomodate the extinguisher and I wonder if there is sufficient room back there now to do a subwoofer relocation like the one Shadowman designed.

I have and with the seat all the way back against the subwoofer's grill the fire extinguisher fits but the nozzle would rub against the net on the front of the seat which can then be cleared by turn the nozzle down a little within its mounting bracket.
I put the stock bolts back on for the time being because I don't have the longer bolts (you snooze you lose!!!). I took the OEM bolt to a couple of hardware stores but can't find a longer replacement so can anyone tell me what's the size (length and thread type) of the longer replacements bolts so that maybe I can find it on the Internet please?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
fine wine

Syco GT - I love Silver Oak, both Alexander Valley or Napa! I don't live far from the winery in Napa. We could do a GT drive to one of the openings (spring & fall). The Dom's ok too. The Safecraft bottle is great.

Ed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Syco GT - I love Silver Oak, both Alexander Valley or Napa! I don't live far from the winery in Napa. We could do a GT drive to one of the openings (spring & fall). The Dom's ok too. The Safecraft bottle is great.

Ed

Napa wine tour would be great, I have access to my super cult wineries that are not even 'appointment only' properties....

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
ok Bony

Bony - we'll plan a wine trip this fall perhaps. I'll talk to you about it at the Rally.

Ed

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Ed

You know, I've never ever tasted Dom Perignon. One of these days...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
...can anyone tell me what's the size (length and thread type) of the longer replacements bolts so that maybe I can find it on the Internet please?

Try sending Pete S. a PM and see if he still has the specs. Cobrar and I looked at the thread pattern and diameter and they looked very close to OEM.

My guess is that the longer bolts were about 8mm or so longer in length than OEM. Sorry that I didn't take a picture before installing the extended bolts...

Anyone else have better info for Bruce?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I guess I'm a little fuzzy on how this thing hooks up. I ordered the Fire extinguisher for the FGT directly from safecraft. This is what they sent me (how does it attach?):

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 100
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 99
  • fire3.jpg
    fire3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 99

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You need another bracket. Two types exist, one that mounts to the front of the seat rails, another mounts to the central tunnel below the radio.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That is what I thought. Why would safecraft offer this as a Ford GT fire extinguisher? It seems obvious that this is just their standard part and not designed to work speciffically with the Ford GT. I feel a bit mislead.

Do you know where I would get the other brackets?

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
You need another bracket. Two types exist, one that mounts to the front of the seat rails, another mounts to the central tunnel below the radio.

Does anyone have a picture of the below the radio mount. I am a bit confused on how that one would look / work.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Safecraft offers everything you need to mount the extinguisher. Doesn't the bracket you picture bolt up to the two screws on the side of the trans tunnel? Mine looks a little different but Don or Steve at Safecraft should be able to answer any concerns you have with fitment. It simply bolts to side of the trans tunnel.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have been visiting with Don Warren at Safecraft in ordering a fire extinguisher for my GT. They have developed a special customized mounting bracket made out of billet aluminum that mounts the extinguisher to the passenger side of the center console. It mounts using the existing screws which means there is no drilling involved. After mounting mine I was very impressed with the quality and fit of their FGT unit. Don told me that their
2 1/2 pound unit can be ordered in Red, White, Black, Black Crinkle and their new color which is a Carbon Fiber pattern. The Carbon Fiber Pattern runs a little extra. Don told me that he would sell them to us for $330.00 and the carbon fiber model at $415. This cost would include shipping. If anyone would like to order one you can go to their web site at www.safecraft.com or give them a call at 1-800-400-2259 :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
attachment.php

Does anyone have a picture of the below the radio mount. I am a bit confused on how that one would look / work.

I am guessing this is what Ice is talking about. I like the look. I thought this is what I bought?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Safecraft offers everything you need to mount the extinguisher. Doesn't the bracket you picture bolt up to the two screws on the side of the trans tunnel? Mine looks a little different but Don or Steve at Safecraft should be able to answer any concerns you have with fitment. It simply bolts to side of the trans tunnel.

I called them earlier today but got no answer (left a message). I should probably give them more time to respond but I was eager to get it mounted and thought someone here might understand how it mounts. My hope now is that they simply sent me the wrong mounting hardware.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Thats kind of cool but I don't think the driver could get to it from the seated position. Also, can you get anything in or out of the "glove box"?

Thats where my ipod is now.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Thats kind of cool but I don't think the driver could get to it from the seated position. Also, can you get anything in or out of the "glove box"?

Thats where my ipod is now.

The other option is this:
attachment.php

I doubt that would be easy to get to either, on the passenger side. You might mount it on the driers side and be happy with the access. I still like the side mount (you could also mount that on the drivers side below the radio). WTF, just mount the thing on the roof of the car. It would be easy to get too and you cant see out the back anyway. :thumbsup

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
:rofl Does anyone have any pictures of one mounted on a roof?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
:rofl Does anyone have any pictures of one mounted on a roof?

I was joking, sorta. In my frustration, I placed it up there to see how I would like the option. It looked really cool and it would make you feel more like a jet pilot. However, it would make the rear view mirror pointless and frankly I would be concerned about bashing your head against it in an accident (ask me how I know). I decided not to proceed much further with the idea.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
2 mounting options

Fubar - I believe you have the mount that attaches to the passenger side of the tunnel along side the stereo head unit. I tried it & didn't like it. Safecraft only sells that mounting system for the GT.

Livermore Peformance sells the seat bracket mount that Thornhill Engineering makes for the Safecraft extinguisher. They have sold over 40 of those mounts. There are photos, links & more info earlier in this thread.

Also the head on the extinguisher in your photo doesn't look anything like the hand held extinguishers the rest of us have.

Ed

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Fubar - I believe you have the mount that attaches to the passenger side of the tunnel along side the stereo head unit. I tried it & didn't like it. Safecraft only sells that mounting system for the GT.

Livermore Peformance sells the seat bracket mount that Thornhill Engineering makes for the Safecraft extinguisher. They have sold over 40 of those mounts. There are photos, links & more info earlier in this thread.

Also the head on the extinguisher in your photo doesn't look anything like the hand held extinguishers the rest of us have.

Ed

This is what I ordered from them:
1 $320.00 Ford GT - PB2 Removable Extinguisher System with
Billet Bracket 2.50 Lb. Wrinkle Finish Black Cylinder

I certainly thought it was part of a Ford GT kit. I don't mind ordering the mount separately but I wish it would have been presented that way(and may just be a mix up?).

This is the bracket I have and I can't figure out how to make it work anywhere:

fire4.jpg