Finally I persuaded my wife to.....

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
.... no, you filthy lot, not partake in some bizarre bedroom ritual.

Yesterday I took the fair Jane out to play in my GT - the kids were at school and the sun was shining. The reason she was not keen was that I had seriously scared her in the Murcielago and she assumed the GT would be a similar experience - compounded by sitting in the right hand seat in the face of oncoming traffic.

I'm delighted to report that she loved it! We briefly hit 160 on a straight stretch and when we got home she said she now 'got it' with the GT - the looks, the power, the heritage.

Now the next project..... I'm thinking of getting a Harley Fat Boy - I can have it in the same red as the GT and put a little duck-tail rear fender that takes it's cue from the GT. What do you think? Madness? Or can you see the appeal?!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sounds like life is very good. Have you considered custom construction? There are so many talented shops building beautiful bike over here. I have no idea if they can be licensed in the UK. Check out Ron Sims Motor Cycles in Hayward California. Real rolling art.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Neilda said:
.... no, you filthy lot, not partake in some bizarre bedroom ritual.

Yesterday I took the fair Jane out to play in my GT - the kids were at school and the sun was shining. The reason she was not keen was that I had seriously scared her in the Murcielago and she assumed the GT would be a similar experience - compounded by sitting in the right hand seat in the face of oncoming traffic.

I'm delighted to report that she loved it! We briefly hit 160 on a straight stretch and when we got home she said she now 'got it' with the GT - the looks, the power, the heritage.

Now the next project..... I'm thinking of getting a Harley Fat Boy - I can have it in the same red as the GT and put a little duck-tail rear fender that takes it's cue from the GT. What do you think? Madness? Or can you see the appeal?!

Hello Neilda, I was wondering if you recall what gear you were in and what rpm's you were running when you reached 160! We had a thread going "fastest speed in a GT so far" regarding this matter. A couple of weeks ago I reached 175 and recall being in 5th gear at around 6000 revs. I can't say I'm positive on those figures because I wasn't really focusing on that @ the time. Let us know if you have some numbers to go on, thank you!
P.S. Check out Star motorcycles very cool selections and not so run of the mill, although I guess Harley's aren't as run of the mill abroad as they are here. I own a 1974 Z-1 Kawasaki 900 that's has a 10 inch stretched swingarm and a 1260 piston kit with 36 mm flat slide carbs. Bike runs 9.40's with me on it (245 lbs.) and can be heard from a mile away.. :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
bigdan40 said:
Hello Neilda, I was wondering if you recall what gear you were in and what rpm's you were running when you reached 160! We had a thread going "fastest speed in a GT so far" regarding this matter. A couple of weeks ago I reached 175 and recall being in 5th gear at around 6000 revs. I can't say I'm positive on those figures because I wasn't really focusing on that @ the time. Let us know if you have some numbers to go on, thank you!
P.S. Check out Star motorcycles very cool selections and not so run of the mill, although I guess Harley's aren't as run of the mill abroad as they are here. I own a 1974 Z-1 Kawasaki 900 that's has a 10 inch stretched swingarm and a 1260 piston kit with 36 mm flat slide carbs. Bike runs 9.40's with me on it (245 lbs.) and can be heard from a mile away.. :biggrin

There is nothing like an AMERICAN V Twin.... sorry no rice burners for me.
Harley, S&S, Patrick Racing... nothing is like them. If you have to ask why,
you don't understand. :banana :thumbsup :banana

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
A mate of mine bought a Harley V-Rod: rode it a few times and hated it!

But it's a lovely piece of art...so it now sits in his hallway at home! Now that's what I call furniture :eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
flyingsniffer said:
A mate of mine bought a Harley V-Rod: rode it a few times and hated it!

But it's a lovely piece of art...so it now sits in his hallway at home! Now that's what I call furniture :eek

The VRod is Harley's attempt to deal with emission issues. They are fast, but I like the old air cooled V twin. Harley's are old school tech, somewhat similar to the GT. VRod= Might as well buy an Aprila or Ducati. Just like the Buell, it is not the real deal... just my 2 cents

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
bony said:
The VRod is Harley's attempt to deal with emission issues. They are fast, but I like the old air cooled V twin. Harley's are old school tech, somewhat similar to the GT. VRod= Might as well buy an Aprila or Ducati. Just like the Buell, it is not the real deal... just my 2 cents

Sorry Bony, did not mean to upset the cart, just my preference. Have a ton of friends that own Harley's, good for them (and you), just not for me. I also don't consider my bike a rice rocket, it's old school bad to the bone raw, loud and fast. I've been to countless bike events and even the hardcore bilers like my bike because of it's yesteryear appearance. You know how your GT commands attention, ditto my dragbike. No fancy chrome or pretty paint, just groung pounding noise and speed. Have you ever done 9.40's on a bike, it's a thrill ride! :thumbsup
P.S.
What do you mean by the GT being old school tech? :confused

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Although I would disagree that either clutch or wheel slippage is occuring at 150MPH + speeds, even those that believe there is (and who may know more than me!), we will all agree that it is very minor, at best. So, you can have very good accuracy by just observing RPM/MPH and then doubling both. For example if 6th gear gives you 80MPH at 2,000 rpm, then it will give you 160MPH at 4,000 rpm. Note, however, that most cars will not give their best top speed (actual, not theoretical) in their top gear. A lower gear will often allow the engine to be closer to peak torque and therefore a higher top speed.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
White Petunia said:
Neil, if you purchase a bike, please be very careful of yourself and more aware of others around you. Make sure you are visible to the other drivers. I want you safe and healthy.

Our local hospital ER staff refers to them as donorcycles.

Vince, what about me! :biggrin just kiddin'. Actually you're right, bikes are dangerous and can be devestating as well as our sports cars can be. Remember the Viper thread a couple of weeks ago! I'm sure Neilda will be responsible and safe though...
P.S. I never got back to you on that checklist. Everything you mentioned was there, thank you for the list. BD40

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Bigdan, I'm not sure what gear did what if I'm honest. I would guess that 5th is where the north of 140 action is and 6th is when you've done accelerating. At least that's my impression. We didn't have enough safe road to go faster - I don't ever overtake other cars at these speeds, so need two lanes clear of motorway...

We had some very fast starts - rolling to let the clutch fully out, then standing on it. HOLY MAMMA!

I spent all weekend in an Aston - the GT is a different league, love it. But then we all know that. I've mentioned before that other cars get out of the way with far greater speed when driving the GT than just about any other car I've driven.

On the Harley front - I nearly killed myself 20 years ago on a Z1100, broke spine, pelvis, knee, ankle, two fingers, dislocated shoulder and smashed collar bone. So I'm getting into the Harley idea very gently - however thanks for your thoughts, you're right to remind me. I figure that the Harley is not for blatting through traffic (which is what did for me 20 years back), but easing along the highway in nice weather - enjoying the ride.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good woman Neil! The first time me and my girlfriend drove to Chicago nearly 5 years ago, we took a C5 Convertible I had. I was mowing through rural freeway at 160mph, and I turned to see her reading a magazine. :lol

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
White Petunia said:
Dan, I care about you and all my friends.

I know that Vince, most of us don't know each other personally but we all are connected by this wonderful website and fabulous automobile. I value your's and many other people's opinion's, feedback and general commentary and hope to meet many of you in the future. Thanks for the warm thoughts, you're a good guy!!! :cheers :thumbsup :biggrin :banana :bow :party

Anytime. Glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup

Thanks again, your info was a BIG help!!! :thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Neilda,

"Madness?"

NO WAY!!

For those of us afflicted with this illness I describe as “MACHINERY ADDICTION” (which I am sure virtually every member of this Forum has in varying stages, degrees, and severity), the ONLY relief is in fact riding on the ‘edge’. That’s not “Madness” that’s LIVING, truly living.

Having owned and ridden H-D's [big V-Twins only] for more than 40 yrs now, I can tell you that they can be a Great Ride! Different from the GT Experience [or any other automobile for that matter] but still a lot of fun and enjoyment. Our Panoz AIV Roadster with the JAMCO factory installed Kenne Bell twin-screw supercharger option is a car that is somewhat like a motorcycle but with 4 wheels [an open-air machine with the wind and elements in your face and still capable of 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds].

Over the years I have owned 27 different H-D big V-Twins [from Flat-Head 80’s to Knuckle-Heads to Pan-Heads to Shovel-Heads to Evolutions] and [from Bone Stockers to Choppers to ‘Bar’ Hoppers to Customs (both mild and radical) to Full Dressers] they all in their own way are unique and appealing. To us they are all true Rolling Works of Art, just as is the GT we now have added to the stable.

Presently am down to only one motorcycle, a 2001 Indian Chief 100 yr Anniversary model running an S&S engine [which is basically the same as the H-D Evolution] and it truly is a beautiful machine [Tungsten Silver over Black] and it is by far and away the best hi-way cruiser owned to date. I too really like that ‘duck-tail’ rear end look. The Indian has it on both the front and rear fenders, so you get a 2 for 1 visual.

If it’s your passion, then let ’er rip and have fun!! However, PLEASE do treat ALL Machinery with a healthy amount of RESPECT, along with understanding the limits and abilities of both the machine and yourself.

Take good care of it and it will good take care of you [kind’a like a good horse; or is that a good wife? - I had better keep those priorities straight].

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Spirit - that's interesting on the Indian. I'll mail you off Forum as I'm swerving off my own topic! :biggrin

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
On the Harley front - I nearly killed myself 20 years ago on a Z1100, broke spine, pelvis, knee, ankle, two fingers, dislocated shoulder and smashed collar bone. So I'm getting into the Harley idea very gently - however thanks for your thoughts, you're right to remind me. I figure that the Harley is not for blatting through traffic (which is what did for me 20 years back), but easing along the highway in nice weather - enjoying the ride.[/QUOTE]

Ouch my friend, I feel the pain from here! The funny thing about a bike is that you don't have to be going fast or doing something silly for devestation to occur. One of my best friends professionally races hid drag bike in what's called the Pro-mod class. He runs the 1/4 @ 6.70's and about 200 mph. Another buddy road races AMA Superbike (not very different from world Superbike) and has been north of 180 on a road course. They are very good at what they do but it's in a controlled enviroment unlike the streets and that's where the danger comes in. Whatever you decide, good luck and ride safely!!!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Neilda:

Big V-twin bikes are arguably the best "car" guy experience. My wife and I collected Harleys and built custom bikes between 1989 and 2004 when we traded the last bike (Fat Boy, as you mentioned) to a Dodge dealer toward my wife's Viper.

Our City is not conducive to leisurely rides: too much traffic and inattentive drivers, but if you leave in a rural area, there is not a better feeling than cranking up a big bike (ideally a chopper) and heading out on an early Saturday morning.

Many car families are also biker families. In the U.S. the range of custom bikes and/or the capacity to build a bike is seemingly unlimited.

The Fat Boy is a more rational experience than some of our custom bikes; we preferred choppers, but the longest consistently owned bike we had was a Fat Boy.

By the way, the history (if you are able to find it) of the Fat Boy name is very interesting. It is related to the atomic bombs we dropped to end WWII.

Have fun...Live to Ride,

- doc

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Neilda said:
Spirit - that's interesting on the Indian. I'll mail you off Forum as I'm swerving off my own topic! :biggrin
Neilda,
Check your e-mail.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Neil, get the Harley dude! You won't regret it, but at this point in the year I'd wait to see what comes out for the '07 model year. They should be on Harleys website on July 14th and in American showrooms the next week. There is something new (or at least substantially changed) coming out this year because they have demo rides scheduled for us at the dealer meeting July 13. They only do that when a model has been substantially changed or an entirely new model is introduced. Might be worth the wait.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Very good advice Texas - I just mailed a pal of mine and he confirmed that I should wait, so that's what I'm going to do.....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
bigdan40 said:
What do you mean by the GT being old school tech? :confused

No computer assisting the driver such as stability control, aided suspension etc.
is what makes the GT neat in my book.

I am just not into Victory's, Star's etc. It is my thing :wink Enjoy your ride, and be safe :wink